Hi Country Billy Goats Bluff and Blue Rag Range

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2   Next
Rebecca
Rebecca (RED)
30 Oct 2016

We are looking at going to Dargo and were going to Blue Rag Range and then down to do Crooked River and then on to Billy Goats Bluff.

Have been told that Blue Rag Range is closed as too wet and dangerous and will be closed for another month.

After the Cup weekend and all the activities we were wondering how the tracks are and camp grounds in the area faired.

Can anyone tell me the track conditions and if the camp grounds have survived the wet season.  Love to camp but not in mud!

How are the river crossing?  High?  or ok?

Any comments muchly appreciated

Thanks Beck

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
30 Oct 2016

Here is a report from a similar trip earlier this year. Great part of the country

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5115&forumid=9

all of this area is usually closed till Melbourne cup . 

camp grounds should be fine but I guess it very much depends on the weather , same for river crossings 

maybe give the DSE or whatever it's called these days a call or parks vic about track conditions

Rebecca
Rebecca (RED)
30 Oct 2016

Here is a report from a similar trip earlier this year. Great part of the country

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5115&forumid=9

all of this area is usually closed till Melbourne......

Thx Dennis,  we have called DSE.  and just wanted to hear from some campers/4WDer from this weekend...  we have found tracks can change significantly within a few months, which can turn a tame track into an awesome one!

Beck

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Nov 2016

Beck, unless something has changed in the last few days, Blue Rag is open. In regard to camping spots most in the area are generally pretty good, even though I suspect a few may have taken a bit of a 'hiding' over cup weekend. Talbotville is usually always in good condition as it has lots of grassy areas with the exception of one spot under a huge tree that  has no grass. When do plan on going?

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
03 Nov 2016

last checked dargo high plains rd was shut and can only access blue rag via bassalt. Best to check parks vic website, they will have all the relevant information 

()
04 Nov 2016

Public access map here http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=pam

shows it's open.

However Vicroads here https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ shows it's closed.

I wish these useless departments could do their jobs.

It is closed till the end of November, but you can get to blue rag via south basalt knob, past the junction of brewery and onto north basalt knob,  or a easier less demanding way via brewery track onto north basalt knob track. Dargo office said crooked is at bonnet height but is dropping.

Rebecca
Rebecca (RED)
04 Nov 2016

Thank you to all of your replies.

I would love to tackle Bonnet high river crossings but my Hubby would not be in that....he says I'm to confident!  pfft...  nothing that a tow rope attached to the 4by wouldn't fix right?

Would love to see some river crossing shots if there are any out there :-)

Unfortunately we have had to change our 4WD holiday to a much more relaxed holiday due to one of the drivers being ill.

Maybe January we will see Blue Rag Range!

Thx again for all your replies  :-)

Beck

()
04 Nov 2016

The height isn't the problem normally, it's the flow, if it's too strong it will sweep an 80 series down the river.

Rebecca
Rebecca (RED)
04 Nov 2016

() wrote:

The height isn't the problem normally, it's the flow, if it's too strong it will sweep an 80 series down the river.

Yeah my Hubby just said that......:-O    You boys always talk sense!    LOLenlightened

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
04 Nov 2016

Not sure I would call South Basalt or Brewery Track easy options, the rivers would have to be high and fast before they were easy...

Last time I did Sth. Basalt one of the group nearly went over the edge and it was only twin locked cars that drove it without issue, that was a while ago and it may have been graded since but even so still a steep and rocky climb

()
04 Nov 2016

I didn't say easy I said easier less demanding. Sth basalt is harder than brewery, so if someone wanted an easier way go via brewery.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
04 Nov 2016

My bad, I was thinking of Brewery Creek Track near Kevington, totally different track....

Anyone done Sth. Basalt recently??

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
04 Nov 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
04 Nov 2016

My bad, I was thinking of Brewery Creek Track near Kevington, totally different track....

Anyone done Sth. Basalt recently??

Hi, did it in April (some time a go now)  when it was just graded as too Billys !!

()
04 Nov 2016

Those Buttmunchers graded it a few weeks after I was there last year.

So how were the tracks then mate???

1 2   Next