A Tour of Toolangi

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 Oct 2016

After introductions and drivers briefing 8 vehicles left Glenburn to drive various tracks in the Toolangi State Forest. It was great to see a number of partners take part in this trip for what was planned to be a nice relaxing day. As with most 4wd trips, not everything goes as planned.

We arrived at our 1st track of the day that used to be very straightforward. Yes, it does have a boghole that is easily bypassed, but there was a section that was far worse than last time I drove the track that could not be avoided. Unfortunately this section caused  Rick to have to 'call it quits' as he damaged his water seperator on the BT 50...sad. Neil debeaded a tyre on this section and after a few gentle recoveries, we arrived at our next track.

(Rick)

(Neil)

(Wayne)

(Greg)

(Another 'Greg')

As mentioned earlier, there was a bog hole that everyone bypassed, with the exception of Evgeny in his Patrol...surprise.

There is a Patrol somewhere.

There it is...laugh

After finally completing the 1st track of the day, and Rick having to depart, we made our way to the next planned track of the day, until we hit an obstacle that forced us to backtrack.

Original plan was for us to descend this track, but it was an enjoyable climb with everyone getting to the top without any issues.

We then made our way to the 'powerlines' for a group shot and take in the great views.

More to come.

Neil
Neil (love24wd)
30 Oct 2016

Hi Allan

Again you have have succeeded in putting a great trip togeather Allan with a number of different challenges   (Well Done Mate)

It was great to meet new people & seeing the kids out as well enjoying them selves

Even my wife enjoyed this trip lol

Cheers

Neil.leesa & Ryan

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
30 Oct 2016

Hi Allan

Again you have have succeeded in putting a great trip togeather Allan with a number of different challenges   (Well Done Mate)

It was great to meet new people & seeing the kids out as well enjoying t......

Great photos Allan ,

Damn shame I had to pull out , and with only 500m into it , left me egg on face , just unlucky but thats how it goes .

Hope you all had a great day , and nice to meet new people , if only for a short time :)

Cheers Rick

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Oct 2016

Great photos Allan ,

Damn shame I had to pull out , and with only 500m into it , left me egg on face , just unlucky but thats how it goes .

Hope you all had a great day , and nice to meet new people , if only for a short time :)

Cheers Rick

As often can happen with 4wding; 'Shite Happens' Rick. Was great to meet & hopefully we will catch up on a trip soon.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Oct 2016

Hi Allan

It was great to meet new people & seeing the kids out as well enjoying t......

Hi Neil, glad you, Leesa & Ryan enjoyed the day, even though Leesa 'lost a bit of interest' after the 1st track of the day. She did say she really enjoyed the rest of the day,which was good. Great to catch up again and your new 'truck' went well.

PS: Mark has sent you a few notifications.

Wayne
Wayne (Vitaraman)
30 Oct 2016

Thanks Allan for a great trip, with great weather and company.
Ashame about Matts group, that didn't go to plan but I hope everyone got home safe. l hope you get your car sorted outed soon.
Looking forward to the next adventure.
...Wayne...

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Oct 2016

After the 'photo shoot' at the powerlines, we made our way down Campsite Tk to where we were planning to meet Discomatt and his group for lunch. Unfortunately, this did not eventuate as they were having a few dramas...surprise. Our group had lunch at one of the camping areas just off Lukes Creek No.1 track, were I gave a group camping there one of the site cards to encourage them to join the site. We then discussed the plan for the afternoon and I advised that one of the tracks had plenty of bogholes that could be bypassed, with the exception of 1, but everyone was keen to continue.

Lukes Creek 1 is a nice gentle climb that does contain 1 tricky section. One of the vehicles did get stuck but after being advised of trying a different line, made it up without issue. We then proceeded onto Downies Spur. We arrived at the 'non avoidable' one that was deeper than I had seen on numerous ventures on this track. There was now a bypass track next to the big boghole, but it was extremely tight between two trees that had the tell take signs of paint from vehicles that didnt quite get through. A few of us took this option and with some 'spotting' we all got through unscathed.  The others decided to take the other option.

A few others were a little more sedate than Evgeny.

Glen now took over leading the group back to Spraggs Rd. He did an excellent job keeping all informed of any potential hazards on the remaining sections of Downies Spur. We all hit the 'black top' and aired up and headed home, at a reasonable hour for a change. I think everyone enjoyed the day and whilst not overly difficult, we had the odd challenge or two. I think Evgeny was probably the only one who found the trip 'boring' as I think he and his partner would have liked a few more difficult tracks. Great bunch of people and would have no hesitation in going on future trips with any of those who attended as all drove responsibly. Unfortunately I finally arrived home many hours later, but that is a different story....frown

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
30 Oct 2016

Top report Allan, have you had a better look at your steering colum yet?

I started a report on my trip and got most of it writen and then the screen froze and I lost all of it...

Will have another go tomorrow

Neil
Neil (love24wd)
31 Oct 2016

I started a report on my trip and got most of it writen and then the screen froze and I lost all of it...

Hi Allan

Had a few problems trying to open the original link provided but mark has since provided an other link and all i hope

I will make contact with mark today to confirm

Cheers Neil

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
31 Oct 2016

Look forward to seeing your report Matt. Bit of a saga with steering shaft but hopefully sorted in the next couple of days.

Greg Sando (GregPS)
01 Nov 2016

Thanks for a great trip Allan. Myself and the boys had a great day, and look forward joining another trip.
Cheers,
Greg

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Nov 2016

Thanks for a great trip Allan. Myself and the boys had a great day, and look forward joining another trip.
Cheers,
Greg

Glad you and the boys enjoyed the day Greg, even if Domenic wants you to get a Pajero.....wink. Look forward to seeing you on another trip and thanks for putting up a few pics.