Your Top 10 4wd Tracks!

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
20 Oct 2016

The excitment of dreaming, planning, driving and completing a 4wd track is hard to describe especially when someone tell you "It cannot be done", "It's too hard". Well, I certainly have my top 10 favourite tracks. 

Let's hear what your top 10 4wd tracks are. They have to be 4wd tracks you have driven or completed (or not completed :) 

My Top 10 4WD Tracks in Victoria (not in order)

1. Deep Creek No.1 in Walhalla (Drive along the creek)
  2. Burgoynes track - Rocky with big drop on many section (not recommended in wet)
  3. Ellis Track - Very technical, used to be hard but now have chicken tracks around
  4. Mt Margaret Track - Beautiful drive along ridge
  5. Fulton Creek Track - Many river cross
  6. Old Bluff Track - Short with big rock steps
  7. Joes Spur Track - Steep with big loose rock
  8. Chromite Mine Track - It's got everything
  9. Boundary Track - There is a short cut section which can be challenging
  10. Strictland Spur Track - Iconic track in the area

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Oct 2016

A hard question Kelvin. Personally I dont classify any track that requires winching to complete as a 'track driven', but just my opinion. Some of my favourite tracks maybe classified as not hard, but these are the ones that I enjoy doing, not in any particular order.

1. Fultons Creek Walhalla

Has a bit of everything, steep, rocky in places, some ruts & ledges plus a few river crossings.

2. Toomstar Walhalla

Very steep in places but a great drive.

3. Deep Creek 1 Walhalla

Not all that hard now, but rock ledge is almost back and side angle up the hill after the rock ledge is returning.

4. Hernes Spur (High Country)

Steep climb with a few river crossings

5. Dingo Hill (High Country)

Continuous steep climb with heaps of switchbacks.

6. Butcher Country (High Country)

Another track that is steep and rutted in places.

7. Cockpit (Toolangi)

Not like it used to be, but if wet will keep you on your toes.

8. Red West/Lyndalls (Toolangi)

Another continuous steep climb that seems to go forever.

9. Climies (Tasmania)

The section where if you get it wrong has the ocean waiting for you to arrive.

10.Sth Basalt Knob (High Country)

Again a track not like it used to be but one section is 'character building' if you get it wrong.

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
21 Oct 2016

1: walking track red/east toolangi (not the most technical of all as its straight up but will always give 80 percent of driver problems

2 Daniels point road the wattagans. This is a great track that really describes what 4wding really is like in nsw, rocks boulders and more boulders. This track has a descent toward the valley, mud ruts etc then a big rock ledge climb at the tail end that can even make twin locked vehicles on 35s need to use the winch.
The nsw coast has some amazing 4wd destinations and though ive done menai, wattagans, i plan on heading back up there soon to do coffs coast and the infamous 6 stagers at yalwal, but that last one may require a tow truck home.

3 alcorn track (in the dry not to bad), in the wet you pretty much got buckleys unless you're winching

4 Mount sunday rd -for those of you on that ttip that antony planned over summer this year this track is definitely up there.
I reckon the grade amd shaily terrain is simular to walking track

5 barkely river jeep track - though like most of the above tracks its only 1 or 2 obstacles that make it a hard track, this one here has a step up within the first couple hundred metres, the rest of it has some 3 point turns requiring to be formed whilst hanging your arse end of your rig off the cliff edges

6 phone track tullarook

7 steep track tullarook

And thats thenonly hard ones ive found... by hard i mean i have successfullycompleted them without requiring winching except for if you are proabbly tackling them in the wet.

The next 3 below are omes i havent done in a 4wd but on a motorbike

Mad man hill cobaw state forest-comp truck territory undisclosed location purposely to prevent people going there and attempting as there has been a few vehicle rollover causing it to be shut down , its now open again but wont post where it is to prevent morons from going there.

Widow maker mount dissa
Youd be stupid doing it by car now that its that corroded but its worthy of a rollover if you attempt

Ellis track, not that bad as the ones above but obviously rocky and slippery
Would love to do in my rig over summer when time permits

In no specific order,  walking track (toolangi ), rocky trk (toolangi), Ellis trk (gladysdale) basalt spur knob trk ( high country) , red rock trk (high country), dragons spur(high country), mt pinnabar(near Tom groggin), and some scenic ones, Vic/sa border tk, through the little desert, and along the COORONG in SA.

Steve (Stock Patrol)
21 Oct 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
22 Oct 2016

My top 10 are all covered in the tracks mentioned above, what are yours Kelvin?

One track I really want to get back to is Long Tom, didn't do it the day I was there because had a uneasy gut feeling but will to head back to give it a crack. Another is Ellis track, have been in 2 cars that are well set up and running 35's, I want to do it in mine on 32's, most would say cant be done, we will seesmiley

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Oct 2016

My top 10 tracks

1. Deep Creek No.1 in Walhalla (Drive along the creek)
  2. Burgoynes track - Rocky with big drop on many section (not recommended in wet)
  3. Ellis Track - Very technical, used to be hard but now have chicken tracks around
  4. Mt Margaret Track - Beautiful drive along ridge
  5. Fulton Creek Track - Many river cross
  6. Old Bluff Track - Short with big rock steps
  7. Joes Spur Track - Steep with big loose rock
  8. Chromite Mine Track - It's got everything
  9. Boundary Track - There is a short cut section which can be challenging
  10. Strictland Spur Track - Iconic track in the area

Chris
Chris (Milney)
22 Oct 2016

So by accident this morning we happened upon a track that looked ok from Marginal Road in Toolangi. Mate was holding the gps and told me it was called Kalatha Rd.

I'd sought out a little bit of advice before heading out today and after stirlos trip the other week I had the names of a few tracks to avoid and thought this should be no dramas.

So up we go... and up.. and then the rocks started.. Oops. This is a bit more than we had bargained for, particularly In the wet.. 

Found a way to turn around and climb back down with our tails between our legs. 

Having got home after a fun day out I pulled out the maps to try and work out why this track was so hard for us... oh that little dotted line on the map next to where my mate said we were said walking track... 

So by accident this morning we happened upon a track that looked ok from Marginal Road in Toolangi. Mate was holding the gps and told me it was called Kalatha Rd.

I'd sought out a little bit of advice before heading out today and......

Ye walking track is a tad challenging. Very shaley. I got out of my car to watch the next car follow me and slipped on some shaley shit or scree as some may know it and  fractured two vertibrae.

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
22 Oct 2016

Well my top 10 are in specific order.

Ellis Track. (Wesburn (Nice chalanging trk

Cummins Spur (Wesburn

Strictlands Spur. (Marysville area some Great views

Rocky. (Toolangi 

Not Much Help (Toolangi

Soil Pit (Cobaw (Over the rocks just over the creek, Lots of Very deep ruts & some great rock ledges.

Pole Track (Cobaw (Great fun in the dry but in the wet all hel can break loose & usuly does.

Bullock Link (Bunyip (This one has the lot Ruts, Bog holes & Rock Ledges.

Robertsons Creek fire trail in the wet (gets very intresting in the wet.

LV1 (Noojje ( in the dry it is easy but in the wet it lots of right boot but you may still not make it up.

Matt
Matt (zyttam)
23 Oct 2016

What abbots link track if it's been opened up again 

Robert
Robert (Rigger64)
23 Oct 2016

Another one I forgot.
Lanbsbrough Ridge track not overly hard but has some great views & a couple of tricky spots.