1 2   Next
Jim
Jim (JimMc)
08 Oct 2016

Hi in the mid 1992 I had a 4x4 trip up the old Omeo Coach Road, the trip started on the Nicolson River Track I’m looking up the trip route and there may be some tracks closed now but the parts that I can still drive will be included, to get a idea of the trip have a look at the youtube video’s I made at that time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoD3-jfv1Bc&list=PLB9z44gCPWpQ1iX0DJWNH0-_U1KmSsSDR

I’m thinking doing the same trip again to make a new Video about the trip, and I will include the track closers, this will not be a rushed trip, I will be stopping along the way to shot Video, the trip will be following the old coach road as much as possible. I think the trip will take about a week and as I’m retired I will make it a mid week trip some time before Xmas I hope. I’m looking for any more info about the tracks and area so I can include it in the video. If you know of any history or placers on the old coach road including coach stops, building remains etc. or places that a hold ups or placers that someone met his/her death along the road could you drop me a line, If you would like to be part of this video or come on the trip please let me know, we can set up a time and date that will work for us all.            

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
16 Oct 2016

Hi Jim, keep me posted re this one. Very interested as I plan to do many of these types of trips in East Gippy and far east in time. Was just up at Deptford on Friday and did a section of the Nicholson River track, great history up there. The miners/inhabitants etc did it really tough in those days!!!  I might be stuffed for time off before Chrissy as I have planned some trips already. Mid week def suits me best also. Feb and March best for me also at this stage if suits. Sounds like a very interesting trip. Cheers

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
17 Oct 2016

Hi Jim, keep me posted re this one. Very interested as I plan to do many of these types of trips in East Gippy and far east in time. Was just up at Deptford on Friday and did a section of the Nicholson River track, great history up there. The m......

Hi Hoddz

Yep they’re some great things to have a look at along the road down near the mine site on the Nicolson   there are mines with bats in great for the kids to see at sunset. I work with Flora and Fauna, from my memory there is some great road works and history along the road Hold up’s murders etc. It was many years ago I did the trip and I’m looking through books and newspapers to try to find out info and history from the past I thin hope to make a new youtube video about the road and changers along with the history along the track. So far I’m just thinking of a trip and I hope to know soon when I be able to go. Have you had a look at my old youtube video of the track? 

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
17 Oct 2016

Had a look at the vid, very good stuff. Cassilis mine area has not changed a bit from when you took your vid., was there a few  months ago. Speaking of history in the high country, the Haunted Stream has some great stuff to read up on back in the gold rush days!!

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
17 Oct 2016

Had a look at the vid, very good stuff. Cassilis mine area has not changed a bit from when you took your vid., was there a few  months ago. Speaking of history in the high country, the Haunted Stream has some great stuff to read up on back in the gold rush days!!

Yep Haunted Stream is a great place do you know that it got it's name from the Sooty Owl sounds, the track has had a few changers over the years and there now less river crossings that use to have but still a great place, I think that the old forest huts up on the road above the Stream were lost in the fires a few years ago, I hope to do the hole track some time this year, my wife not been to good and that's why I not been about much but she seems to be on the mend so I should be able to get out in the bush a bit more again. I love high Country and when I was with the DSE I was able to drive every track in Vic High Country (and I got Paid to do it)        

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
17 Oct 2016

Hey Jim, Thought you might have been with one of those mobs. Dream job!!!   Def keep me posted when you get that trip up and running, ill be starter just need month or two warning to sort rosters. (also work for the Govt) The area is my back yard so to speak so not a prob for me.   cheers Hoddz

ps Hope the Mrs get well soon

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
18 Oct 2016

Hey Jim, Thought you might have been with one of those mobs. Dream job!!!   Def keep me posted when you get that trip up and running, ill be starter just need month or two warning to sort rosters. (also work for the Govt) The area is ......

Hi Hoddz

I'm fixable and we can set any date, I’m still working on the 4x4 from my last big trip into the Center of Australia in June this year, now the weather is getting better I can work on the Hilux, (I’m old and don’t like working on it when it’s cold and wet) how much time can you spend on the trip, when Randal and me start using the Quad copter and making Video’s time is some thing that go’s out the window. On this trip I hope to record history ant the sites along the road.        

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
11 Nov 2016

Hi Jim, keep me posted re this one. Very interested as I plan to do many of these types of trips in East Gippy and far east in time. Was just up at Deptford on Friday and did a section of the Nicholson River track, great history up there. The m......

Hi Hoddz

I am still working on the trip and have found out part of Haunted Stream Track is closed from wind and rain damage, I am trying to find out when it will be reopened. I don't know if you got time to find any thing about the Stirling Cemetery, I beleve there are 6 graves and there is a lot of info on them but I can not seem tobe able to find where the Cemetery is on the ground, from my past trips I have never seen it (but I have never looked for it on the ground) may be the shire may have old maps that you could copy or let me know there name and I try to find them.

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
11 Nov 2016

Hi Hoddz

I am still working on the trip and have found out part of Haunted Stream Track is closed from wind and rain damage, I am trying to find out when it will be reopened. I don't know if you got time to find any thing about t......

Hi Jim, The inquires I made with your old organization say that section is closed indefinitely!!!! Must be pretty damaged! You probably have looked at this already…http://www.australiancemeteries.com.au/vic/eastgippsland/stirling.htm. have sent you a more detailed reply via email. cheers Hoddz

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
12 Nov 2016

Hi the last time I went to Deptford there was a hut there http://naturalist.users3.50megs.com/huts.htm (a web page I run) but it been pulled down now, I am working on the hole trip that I have on Youtube. I hope to do some work on Deptford before I go on this trip I be stopping along the way to make a youtube video about the past history of the area, I have not made a time and date for the trip yet but I let you know ASP    

Kevin (tuffruf)
23 Nov 2016

Hi the last time I went to Deptford there was a hut there http://naturalist.users3.50megs.com/huts.htm (a web page I run) but it been pulled down now, I am working on the hole trip that I have on Youtube. I hope to do some work on Deptford befo......

Hi jim i am new to 4wdtrip and have seen a few of your very interesting u tube videos .This looks like an interesting trip ,the history of these areas is fascinating when would you likely go and where would the meeting place be 

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
24 Nov 2016

Hi jim i am new to 4wdtrip and have seen a few of your very interesting u tube videos .This looks like an interesting trip ,the history of these areas is fascinating when would you likely go and where would the meeting place be 

Hi I'm still working on finding a grave site that I have found out about on Haunted Stream, I will be making some youtube videos about the trip, this will take time when I'm on the road, I will be stopping to record some sites, you are welcome to tag along, the vtrip should be easy but there will be a few river crossings with some steep hills and I ask that you have tow points front and back just in case you get stuck.  

I hope to do the trip some time before Xmas and I will spend about a week up there, I'm retired and have lots of timeay have to do some scrub walking, I can go any time so I will be up there before the xmas holldays.  I will be camping at Depford a night or two I have to find a grave yard that's there, I never seen it in the past when I been there, so I m          

Kevin (tuffruf)
24 Nov 2016

Hi I'm still working on finding a grave site that I have found out about on Haunted Stream, I will be making some youtube videos about the trip, this will take time when I'm on the road, I will be stopping to record some sites, you are ......

Hi jim I  have time  to go through the week would like to come along 

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
02 Dec 2016

Hi guys I’m sorry I had hoped to go before Xmas but time has got away from me, I’m still trying to see the Historical Officer from Swift Creek to get more info on the Grave yards on Haunted Stream and Deptford, the people in the grave yard and how they died, along with any info I can find out about the history along the track. I go I will be trying to tell a story of the track and the people that lived in the area in my Youtube Video.

I hope to go in late January or February 2016.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
02 Dec 2016

Hi guys I’m sorry I had hoped to go before Xmas but time has got away from me, I’m still trying to see the Historical Officer from Swift Creek to get more info on the Grave yards on Haunted Stream and Deptford, the people in the grave yard and how they died, along with any info I can find out about the history along the track. I go I will be trying to tell a story of the track and the people that lived in the area in my Youtube Video.

I hope to go in late January or February 2016.

1 2   Next