New Hema HX-1 gps navigation unit, what do you think?

Forum > General Discussion
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
07 Oct 2016

Hema have just announced a brand new, Wi-Fi connected, multi-touch, 7-inch-screened Hema HX-1 Navigator.
What do you think?

https://www.hemamaps.com/navigate/hx-1

()
07 Oct 2016

Just buy a$100 gps enabled 7" tablet and put what maps you want on.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
07 Oct 2016

I agree. That way you can load hema app on it, or any other map you want. Mine works great for $80

(mauriceb)
07 Oct 2016

This is not new many poeple have been running similar programs on higher spec galaxy tabs since android was released at a lower cost .I'm assuming it will come with basic maps then you will have to pay an annual fee to have addition maps zliike they did to the Hema explorer

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
07 Oct 2016

I've installed Explorer 3 on the Android tablet I have.  This was a free upgrade of V2 which cost all of $20 on special.

It uses the same 150k maps which are an improvement on the older smaller scale ones.  They're well drawn and the contours are useful.  But:

1.  All the maps together take up over 5 gig.  You can install them state by state however.

2.  I've lost trust in Hema maps' accuracy and these new ones haven't changed that.  Checking them against an area in the Vic high country that I know well: (a) one mountain that was renamed several years ago hasn't been updated; (b) one walking track is labelled a vehicle track; (c) gates aren't marked; (d) some 4WD tracks are named, many aren't.

Hema continue to make a big thing out of auto-routing but in my book if you use that outside of cities and towns you deserve to end up where you didn't want to go!

Like the Explorer app the HX-1 can run the State topos which are in my opinion good maps but there are cheaper ways of using these.

Message deleted by the author.

I have the Samsung, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" GPS WiFi/ 4G with the $29.99 Hema app. I need data turned on for the Hema app to bring up the map. A total waste of money for me that I couldn't really afford. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
07 Oct 2016

I have the Samsung, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" GPS WiFi/ 4G with the $29.99 Hema app. I need data turned on for the Hema app to bring up the map. A total waste of money for me that I couldn't really afford. 

They have an option to download the maps! So when you are home connect to WIFI and download all the maps you need so then you can viewthem on your tablet when offline. Works really well.

I've installed Explorer 3 on the Android tablet I have.  This was a free upgrade of V2 which cost all of $20 on special.

It uses the same 150k maps which are an improvement on the older smaller scale ones.  They're ......

Does the Explorer need data turned on to bring up the maps? I am on limited data and last time I used Hema App it used 4 GB of data in an hour, which put me over limit and cost me an extra $30, Boosting the tesltra bill to over the $200 mark. I'm not at all impressed with Hema.

Why would you want Wifi in the bush and where would you pick it up? My wifi runs at home, not in the bush.

Unless they mean mobile data, which my Hema app needs to be able to run anyway.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
07 Oct 2016

The way it works is, when you are at home, not in the bush... you download the maps... when you are in the bush... you will have the maps downloaded and you will not need any data connection.

(mauriceb)
07 Oct 2016

The way it works is, when you are at home, not in the bush... you download the maps... when you are in the bush... you will have the maps downloaded and you will not need any data connection.

I guess a lot of people and not tech savy .There a hardly any apps or gps programs that require data from your Phone/Tab to operate in a non phone signal area almost all allow you to download to the device or move to the SD card .I Had a quick look at the video it appears the offroad route guide is from the street map program ,looks like a custom Igo8 You can download most of these poi from Poi Factory online for any gps in most formats. With are screen resolution of 1024x 600 and 1gb of ram it will only match the lowest spec model 7 in Galaxy Tab that's cost around $150

()
07 Oct 2016

It's a good idea to have proper( paper) maps with you, as gps devices are electronic and can pack up.