Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

Hi guys, Rod here from Greenvale ( the white ranger).
I thought an open a discussion about tyres.
what I have at the moment is a 3 1 inch tire BF Goodrich 275/ 65 / 17 on VTech Rams I've had these tires for 3 years now and I am very happy with them on road because they are all terrain tyres but off-road they are not as good because they are 70/ 30 which is means 70% on road and 30% off road today I am getting new tires as in Mickey Thompson all terrain tyres the model is ATZ - P3 the size will be over 32 inch so the size upgrade will be 285 / 70 /R17.

Have anyone of you guys had any experience with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ-P3? I have read reviews and they're all really good.
thank you

G'day Rod, I run MT's ATZ P3's on my 80 series, had them on for about 5000ks. Love them, well mannered on road with good grip and handling in the wet and quiet for an aggressive A/T, have done a couple of trips up the high country in steep terrain. Excellent grip off road aired down to 24 psi, very happy with them, hope this helps,

cheers

Roger

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

G'day Rod, I run MT's ATZ P3's on my 80 series, had them on for about 5000ks. Love them, well mannered on road with good grip and handling in the wet and quiet for an aggressive A/T, have done a couple of trips up the high country i......

G'day Roger, that's one cool rig you have out there mate. Thanks for the reply, of course it helps, I will post photos late. Thanks mate

G'day Rod

I have the Mickey T's ATZ-P3's on my 200 Series (285/65/17). I have now done approx 60,000k's on them and they've been faultless.

They are a 50/50 tyre so I was a bit unsure when I bought them becuase they were so new to the Australian market that it was very hard to find out much about them. They handle brilliantly around town and I've had them in the sand at Robe and Coffin Bay, the desert of the Flinders Ranges and plenty of the Vic High Country. They are a great tyre.

My issue is weight of the LS200 when fully laden so a lack of momentum is my problem and super aggressive tyres aren't going to really save my bacon. I will normally deflate them to around 17-23psi and they're never found wanting. I wouldn't venture in Toolangi's mud these days but that's not of the tyre's fault - the 200 is just heavy. I reckon I have about 45% tread left on them. I rotate, balance and align every 5,000k's without fail and I don't throw my Cruiser around on the bitumen.

Before i pu the P3’s on, I had a set of Mickey T's Baja Claw TTC's. They were hopeless. They didn't last more than 19,000k's - ouch! Before those I had Cooper's STT's which were far too hard. I found my issue was more about ripping lugs off the tyre's face and punctures and the ride wasn't very pleasant.

I am currently having a really close look at changing over to the BFG's new A/T tyre next. They have really done some terrific work on their latest incarnation of this classic tyre. I had a set of BFG’s A/T's on a 95 series Prado for 70,000k's and in that car I did plenty of Toolangi and it never missed a beat - faultless. I am concerned about where Mickey T's products might head now that Coopers owns the company. Good luck. DOC

Jack (jcosti)
06 Oct 2016

Hi Rod
I dont run the atz, I'm on BFG mud terains but i have a mate that runs the atz and he loves them. We have done a few trips together inc Madigan line and the atz did everything my mud terains did with no problems. I dont think you can go wrong with the atz ..good luck

Tony (V8 Ute)
06 Oct 2016

Rod,

I have Mickey T's on my 2010 '79 series landcruiser. Baja ATZ 285 / 75 R16, they have done about 55,000km and still going strong. good performance on the bitumin and also off road. They perform well when down at 14 - 18 psi , they performed without fault in August crossing the Madigan line. similarly no issues at any other time off road.

Regards,

Tony.

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

David, Jack and Toni, thanks for great reviews. The order have arrived and I'm going either now or tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
06 Oct 2016

David, Jack and Toni, thanks for great reviews. The order have arrived and I'm going either now or tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Let us know how they go mate . I still use BFG KO's and love them , I haven't tried the KO2 happy with what I know works.

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

Hey mates, the tyres are on and I tell you it is a big difference. I feel the truck higher and mate it is smother. I'm talking on road now. Photos coming

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
06 Oct 2016

But can I post photos in this article?

David
David (Paul Patrol)
11 Nov 2016

But can I post photos in this article?

Hey Rod, how are the tyres going? I've just bought a stock Prado and is gonna be my Mrs dailey & my weekend camping truck. I had Micky T MTZ, 33's on my patrol (2 sets). The first set were great but the second set, 3 tires got split side walls after only about 20000 k's.

I've heard great repoerts about there ATZ & I can get a set at a good price so am very interested in your feedback thus far.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
12 Nov 2016

Hey Rod, how are the tyres going? I've just bought a stock Prado and is gonna be my Mrs dailey & my weekend camping truck. I had Micky T MTZ, 33's on my patrol (2 sets). The first set were great but the second set, 3 tires got split......

I put a set of atz on my GQ back in july after having 3 sets of mtz. Have done the simmo desert and a few other weekenders etc on them , so about 8000k so far and I reckon they are a great allrounder. Good on road and seem to clear the mud out very nicely as well. Glad I went with them this time around.

cheers.

Rod
Rod (The tuff)
12 Nov 2016

Hey mate, I'm so far happy with, I only done around 2000 ks only but I wend off road and they tackled excellent, I have not been in mud yet but on road they are excellent again, we'll see. Thanks mate