Walhalla to Avon River area camping trip - grand final weeke

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
05 Oct 2016

Still finding the time to write up the report - sorry! But here is the edit of some of the footage we took over the weekend. 

https://youtu.be/akupEStw4uA

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
05 Oct 2016

Awesome video mate! .... 

Trav (dungarover)
05 Oct 2016

Awesome video mate! .... 

I missed a good weekend away, was stuck at work thinking about this trip on Saturday so not happy that I had to withdraw from the trip!!! The weather wasn't too hard on you by the looks of it.

Trav

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
06 Oct 2016

well done Winston... the footage is awesome!

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
06 Oct 2016

top video Winstonyes

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 Oct 2016

Cheers all. It was hard to choose which bits of video to include - there was so much quality stuff to choose from to try to fit in such a short space.

Will have the write up finished today - promise!!

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
08 Oct 2016

OK, so starting off - yes I was a few minutes late - thanks for pointing that out Christo. 9:04 to be precise. We met up with the group on the Thompson Dam wall, quick introductions and as everyone was already airing down it was evident that the convoy wanted to waste no time hitting dirt. So we all headed off under some nasty looking skies and made a beeline for Beardmore Track. River level was low - a surprise given the weather - and we all drove straight across and up the track. First bit of drama - Andrews Jeep was having some fuel flow issues. We made it to the top and a decision was made that Andrew and his brother in the GU Patrol were going to try to fix the problem and try to meet us at camp that night. The rest of us headed straight on to Fultons, bit of a rock ledge on the left right at the top, no issues though and the track was again a surprise as to how dry it was. We cruised along past One Speck and Dry Gully, stopping at a creek crossing for a quick coffee and soak in the atmosphere of being out in the bush again. Damn I've missed it!

After the quick stop we continued along Fultons Creek Track, a few steepish sections but we were having no problems until we came across a group in front of us having a bit of trouble climbing a moderately steep section. A couple of the guys in our group knew them and advised they drop their pressures and with that they made it up OK. Our convoy had no problems at all and we kept cruising. Day one was proving to be easy. Someone needs to point out to me the more difficult areas of Fultons and where the deeper crossings are. We saw none of it. We headed across onto Bark and then Porters Creek Link Track, again a couple of steepish sections but easy sailing up to Cheynes Bridge Track where we decended towards our proposed camp site.  The river camp grounds near the bridge were packed so we headed back to a clearing and set up camp. Fire was cranking and then the rain started. Most scattered to bed - very early - but a few of us waited for it to pass and sat by the fire for a few more hours. Amazingly in the dark the GU Patrol came rolling along and Michael, Andrew and friends had found us. The Jeep, was still sitting back in Walhalla not quite fixed, they had continued on the easy route and managed to find us.

Next morning we, discovered Shane had packed up and left in the middle of the very windy night - word has it a nasty tooth ache had left him in agony - shame to lose you mate. We packed up and discussed the route briefly for day 2, all looked good for another day of driving. Headed up Licola Rd and turned onto Burgoynes east section - the fun was about to begin. Rolled along nicely for a bit until we came to a pretty gnarly rock climb. Steep, off camber, had me a little nervous. Pulled the drone out to film the convoy climbing up towards me then battled high winds and close trees trying to get it in for a safe landing. Then jumped behind the wheel and crawled up the treacherous rocks to the switchback and around and stopped a bit further up to settle my nerves but also marvel at how much our trucks are capable of. We alll had a bit of fun on that section - looking back at it that took it into the 'medium' category. We kept going along Burgoynes then down Mt Margaret Track, mostly just ridge running and then took the turn on Dolodrok Track. Had another great steep rocky climb that we sailed up easily. Then down onto Ben Cruachan Rd and stopped for lunch at the big intersection below Ben Cruachan itself. From there we headed south and got sent on a bit of an unplanned detour - private property that wasn't marked on my map sent us on a track around the fenceline and down to Beaver Meadows Track, around through Bulldog Junction and along Corner Creek Track, up to Green Hill towards Huggetts Crossing but turning off onto Lower Block Track. Had a few nice river crossings before hitting the start of the bog holes. Watch the video... Someone had to give it a go! I basically fell into one deep hole while Matt just watched and laughed. Like I said, someone had to give it a go. Christo kindly yanked me out of there (only FJ's recover FJ's) and we took the easier option to the right. Further along and more bog holes - this was a lot muddier than the last time we came through here. Eventually we all got through, a couple of bits that were very sketchy like one set of muddy ruts that put us within inches of a large fallen tree and another that put us on some serious side angle. All good fun though.

Running out of daylight I was gassing it a bit up front - sorry guys - but just wanted to get us into camp with some light to set up. We made our way across the bottom of the Avon Wilderness Park, a few more crossings over the Avon and past a couple of camp sites - but I had one in mind from memory that was better suited to 6 vehicles so kept driving that bit further. Finally - after 98km of driving for the day - we did one last - and deepish - crossing and came across the spot I wanted to get to and it was perfect. We all had plenty of space, set up with the last rays of sun and Matt got the fire cranking. Many beers (and Matt's bottle of red), much hilarity from Christo's stories and good times as we sat around the fire.

Next morning we were up and ready early enough - daylight saving time had kicked in but we were prepared. Coffee from Matt's plunger was great, topped off with frothed milk (yes, I brought my milk frother and inverter and it was good!) and the drone was airborne to film the river crossing in the beautiful morning light. I let it hover and film as I drove across - and sadly missed the point that I nearly swamped the FJ! I managed to accidentally find the deepest hole in the river bed and had water haflway up the windscreen as we plunged into it. We floated briefly as I threw the wheel to the left and gunned it, just managing to find grip and drag us to dry land. Hell of a start to the day. 

We headed out the way we came in, but continued back to the Ben Cruachan junction where a few of the guys drove up to the top to check out the view. After a brief stop we headed west along the southern section of Mount Margaret Track, beautiful high country views from the ridge lines, up to Twenty Acre Creek track where I again got the drone out for some filming. Risky was an understatement. The wind was howling but I took a punt and got it up in the air - managed to get some footage but then the wind whipped up even worse and the drone was getting blown away from me despite me having the stick in the full opposite direction. Not a nice feeling watching 5 grand flying away from you like a kite with a broken string. Luckily the wind dropped for just long enough for me to get it back over the road and make an emergency landing - heart in my throat. Continued onto Beehive Creek Track - these tracks had been freshly graded and widened, making Beehive a lot easier than previous. Down to Kellys, a quick detour along Boundary Track and then out to 2wd roads and our air up point not far from Glenmaggie. A few of us then went and checked out the weir and read up on some of the history - amazing how it was built.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the trip - it had a bit of everything. Steeps, rock climbs, mud, river crossings - and great company. Thanks to everyone who came along, hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did and hope to see you on future trips.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
08 Oct 2016

Amazing trip report! I was going through your trip as I read it. Please count me in next time (if I am not running another trip at the same time :) 

Brian
Brian (Hitman)
09 Oct 2016

Great video gents....

Jason
Jason (FauxBogan)
01 Jan 2017

I really like the vid; looks great.
I thought I'd let everyone know that Moroka Road, Ben Cruachan, Mount Margaret Track and Avon Track have all just be completely graded; not an ounce of difficulty. 26.12.16

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
02 Jan 2017

I really like the vid; looks great.
I thought I'd let everyone know that Moroka Road, Ben Cruachan, Mount Margaret Track and Avon Track have all just be completely graded; not an ounce of difficulty. 26.12.16
Cheers Jason.

Did you do Lower Block? There were some interesting bog sections when we were out there. Agree that the tracks you listed are like highways. Burgoyne's still has that fun rocky section just before the switchback and Dolodrok has a good run rocky climb but everything else is beginner stuff. It's really not the place to go looking for a challenge, it's just about scenery and some nice river crossings.

Jason
Jason (FauxBogan)
02 Jan 2017

Cheers Jason.

Did you do Lower Block? There were some interesting bog sections when we were out there. Agree that the tracks you listed are like highways. Burgoyne's still has that fun rocky section just before the switchback and Dolodr......
Have you been again since your vid was taken? It's completely flat now. We didn't do lower block this time. Burgoyne was awesome as usual. 😆

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
02 Jan 2017

Have you been again since your vid was taken? It's completely flat now. We didn't do lower block this time. Burgoyne was awesome as usual. 😆
No that was the last time I was over that side of the macalister. Everything was flattened out with graders when we went out there. We only did the east side of Burgoyne. I'm yet to do the west side.

Jason
Jason (FauxBogan)
02 Jan 2017

Aah, I thought the footage was Avon Track.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
02 Jan 2017

Aah, I thought the footage was Avon Track.
External footage was from Burgoyne, lower block and river crossings on Avon Tk.

1 2   Next