Grand Final Long Weekend Border Track Getaway

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Oct 2016

That was a fun weekend from the moment we left the bitumen.  The rain held off except for some early on Friday but the ground was already sodden so it didn't make much difference with regards to traction.

The Nhill-Murrayville road was pretty slimy with a coating of grease ensuring a fair bit of skating. I do recall seeing the scenery first out the windscreen, then the dirvers window, then the windscreen, then the passengers window.  Repeatedlty....

Julius even had a look out his back window, otherwise known as looping it I think.......

Right turn on to Brushcutter track was a nice drive through the sand and off the clay made for easy driving, everything was flush with green, what desert ?  Lunch time came up quickly so we stopped at the junction of Deliso and Brushcutters for a munch and a perve at the map.  Luckily there was featured dune not that far away up Delisio, so we trun left towards the Big K dune.  Licking our lips with anticipation as there were 5 or 6 track option to go over it.  So I swung the 80 up what looks like the steepest, 5,000rpm in 3 low and nope, no more than 2/3's of the way from the top, sink in the sand. So try option 2 track, same result. Option 3, must be doing something wrong, no better. Gary stepus up and guns his 80, same result.  Oh well, we'll get Dales thumping 4.5 78 Series and give it a whirl, track on the left looks the most promising..... 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Oct 2016

Same result, nope, bogged down, sand is too deep and soft on the day.

Unfortuantely one of the axle shafts decides its time to part company with the hub, twang go the studs and dowels and it makes its bid for freedom.  Somewhat thwarted by the hubcap which flies off into the scrub but at least it means the axle shaft is still in the housing by the time he backs down to us.  So down to front wheel drive until camp.... maybe some roadside fix can be enabled there.  Another look at the map and there's a camp not too far away so we made tracks to get there with Paul in the GU dragging the 76 the last few 100 metres as its too sandy for front wheel drive only.

Dale was well set up for for some repairs and with the cordless drill, angle grinder and ezy-outs and a toolbox raid from Paul manages to come up with enough fine thread bolts to whack that sucker axle back in, then grind the flanges off the bolt heads so the wheel still fits.  She''ll be right !!!!!!   I PERSONALLY supervised the works from my camping chair while sippping home brew Bourbon, it's a trip leader responsibility and besides, ther was so much mud falling off that guard, no way am I sticking my head under there.  See pics in the trip section.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger variety of sleeping options that night - Dutch in the back of the car on an extendable platform, me in the swag, Paul in a rooftop, Dale 30 second tenting it and Julius in the tent that never goes back in the packaging.....      Firewood marshal Julius spies an old stump 'over there' so with a quick lassoo and the strap it's on its way towards the fire.  A few wags suggest if you drive the Patrol straight over the fire the stump will follow.  But 30 or 40 deft 3 point turns later the stump is right by the fire without the Patrol having to brave the flames.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Oct 2016

Next day dawns with a glimmer of blue sky poking through, this is more like it !  We'll nip into Pinnaroo see if we can knoock up some dowels for the 78.  A bit of bog and slop and we all make it through, including someone (me) who forgot to engage 4WD...  no wonder it seemd to take so may RPM's to get through that slop hole.  The bakery has nice pies in Pinnaroo and the tractor shop had a range of bolts that could be hacksawed if needed to fit. We roll back the same way, but this time a couple of cars get stuck - how come there's no pictures of Landcruisers recovering Patrols fellas !!!!!!!  I know, no pics, it didn't happen, right ?

There's a bloke in an FJ Criuser waiitng on the side of the track, we reckon for some sough-north traffic as he's not game to tackle the slop on his own.  Might still be there too... Nice chap he was.

So pay and self register at the Park entrance and bugger me, over the very first sand dune are 2 rangers checking if you've paid and recording rego numbers.  What a trap that could be !    Nice drive down to Red Bluff, but slow going as the climbs are chopped up, probably by wallys like the ones we passed about 10 kay's in...  Lowering their tyre pressures for 35PSI to a DANGEROUS 30 PSI if what we heard on the radio was correct.  No wonder........   

On the way down to Red Bluff there's a "Nissans turn right here' sign at the base of a dune with several challenge sections (dis I say that ?) plus the boys had a play near Red Bluff in one of the bare dunes.  Ranger's advice was to exit at Red Bluff, track is very boggy forther south so we decided tomorrow we'll do a west-east crossing along Red Bluff track, looks about 45kays long in a dead straight line.  A special thanks go to XXXXX for bringing firewood too for that last night - it was retail packaged and heat-shrunk wrapped - the only bought firewood we've ever seen that actually puts a fire out !  Much merriment about 'must have got it from Masters, no wonder they are going out of business'  Perhaps taking it out of the bag might have helped but at least XXXXX did the right thing by bringing some !!!!!!!

Monday morning sees us on Red Bluff track, great drive but the last 5 kays had us zig-zagging the track to avoid bog holes and suspect swamp areas.  No one wants to get stuck out here.....

Highlight for me was the Murrayville road and some new-to-me fellow 4WD'ers Im sure I'll see again on the tracks.

Damn that sand and mud has dried like cement on my truck already.  Might need a chisel.  Thanks guys, great weekend in new countryside.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
03 Oct 2016

What time were you on big k on Friday ? Havnt had a chance to post up our trip in the same area, but we meet a group coming out on delisio track after breaking an axle there. Might of been your lot !!

we drove Murrayville road about midday after coming out of milmed Rock track, lots of sideways action

i will have to post up my trip soon

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
03 Oct 2016

What time were you on big k on Friday ? Havnt had a chance to post up our trip in the same area, but we meet a group coming out on delisio track after breaking an axle there. Might of been your lot !!

we drove Murrayville road about ......

Must have been us what would the odds be? I spoke to a group looking for some dunes and pointed them towards big K, probably about 1.30pm ?  Did you make it up ?

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
03 Oct 2016

Must have been us what would the odds be? I spoke to a group looking for some dunes and pointed them towards big K, probably about 1.30pm ?  Did you make it up ?

Must of been us !

i spoke to the lead driver who let us pass

I would like to tell you my Great Wall made it up , but the truth is all our group stopped in about the same spot all the tracks stopped. Very soft at the top

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
03 Oct 2016

Great trip report Alex, how the tracks change we did Murrayville track on Wednesday before it bucketed down on Wednesday night and it was easy certainly no sideways action. I'm really jealous now.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
04 Oct 2016

Haha what are the odds of that! We met on the same tracks lol.. The one on the left I dug it out a bit and made it a bit further up, but the sand was too soft. I only made it a car length further and sunk.

Also Dave, the Nhill Murrayville road, completely changed. I drove straight as a bullet with you on on Wednesday doing 100 km/h but drove it up with Dennis on Friday sideways at 50 km/h. I had the wheel arches full of mud and the mud on the mudflap was touching my tyre.. There was no gap! Not to mention under the car I had 2 inches of mud on everything.. Was great fun. Your Jeep would have loved it.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
04 Oct 2016

Great trip report btw!

Some pics of mud here Dave

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/trip/photos.aspx?tripid=498

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
04 Oct 2016

Must of been us !

i spoke to the lead driver who let us pass

I would like to tell you my Great Wall made it up , but the truth is all our group stopped in about the same spot all the tracks stopped. Very soft at the top

That was me then in a white (well, brown now) 80 series

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
04 Oct 2016

Great trip report Alex, how the tracks change we did Murrayville track on Wednesday before it bucketed down on Wednesday night and it was easy certainly no sideways action. I'm really jealous now.

Mate that was the best bit of the trip :-)     Especially on All Terrains, I reckon I had more fun thant the boys on muddies.   You'd be doing 50 in 4wd in a straigt line then befroe you know it you're going sideways, lol.   Great fun !!!!

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
04 Oct 2016

Haha what are the odds of that! We met on the same tracks lol.. The one on the left I dug it out a bit and made it a bit further up, but the sand was too soft. I only made it a car length further and sunk.

Also Dave, the Nhill Murrayvil......

Small world :-)     The tracks on the LHS was Dale in the 76, all the others were mine.  No hope of getting up unless you pulled a desperate 12PSI and a long run up around corners I reckon on the day.

I'm still trying to get that mud off to.  It got everywhere but I'd do it again in a flash !

Rohan Hicks
Rohan Hicks (Roadie)
04 Oct 2016

Next day dawns with a glimmer of blue sky poking through, this is more like it !  We'll nip into Pinnaroo see if we can knoock up some dowels for the 78.  A bit of bog and slop and we all make it through, including someone (me) wh......

Gday, is there a paystation up near Pinaroo or did you have to go to Pine hHt soak?

Roadie.

()
04 Oct 2016

Gday, is there a paystation up near Pinaroo or did you have to go to Pine hHt soak?

Roadie.

Yeah the Paystation is on the track near pine hut soak,then a little bit down the track there was 2 rangers checking payment and taking regos.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
04 Oct 2016

Another good report Alex. All you need to do now is learn how to attach some of the pics to the report....wink. Good luck to you and the others in trying to remove all that sand/mud that as you said, sets like concrete....angry

1 2   Next