1 2   Next
Dave
Dave (Stoops)
29 Sep 2016

With all the rain the area had lately and with numbers down to two vehicles it was decided it was unsafe to attempt the Border Track. Instead we would go to Murray Sunset and Big Desert, set up base camps and explore the area. The trip started with a meet up and breakfast at Calder Park Maccas on the trip would be Dave, Jo and Andy in a Jeep Wrangler, Thurstain and Anastasia in a Navara. After fueling up in Ouyen we headed to the Pink Lakes to set up camp at Lake Crosbie. Soon after setting up down came the rain, so off to bed reasonably early. Sunday morning the sun was shining so off we went on a 10k walk around the lake, seeing on the way remnants of the salt industry. In the afternoon we went for a drive up to Jess's lookout track, Honeymoon hut track and Mt Crosier track. Monday we woke to sunshine again so we started the day with a walk to Lake Kenya and then headed off to find some soft sand for Thurstain to gain some experience. We started off on Mt Crozier track again followed by Last Hope track, we then did a loop around some unnamed tracks and found a big dune with soft sand for Thurstain to have a go at. Making it up on his first attempt he was very happy. From there we checked out Mopoke hut and made our way down Mopoke Hut track back to camp. Back at camp we got the fire going and Jo cooked her famous damper in the camp oven.

Stay tuned more to come******

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
30 Sep 2016

On Last Hope track and Mopoke track we encountered a lot of water on the track and some parts totally inundated with one section half a metre deep, 200 meters long and no way around. Most of the tracks were compacted sand, so no real problem with them turning into bog holes although th Jeep is a mud magnet and finished the day with a good covering of the stuff. Tuesday we packed up camp and headed for Bid Desert, stopping off for fuel and supplies. Our camp site for the next couple of days would be Snow Drift in the northern section of the park. On arriving we were faced with the biggest white sand dune in Victoria although unable to drive it we had some fun on the toboggans. That evening we climbed to the top and were greeted with a fantastic sunset across the plains below. Jo got some spectacular shots of the sunset and the star filled sky. Wednesday was a big day out on the tracks. Leaving early we headed west, and turned South into Murrayville Track. We then turned East into Milmed Rock track. I was hoping for a challenge on this track but it was just rough and corragated with some soft sand but mostly compacted due to all the rain. So the day only challenged my resolve not capabilities. At the end of Milmed we just headed up the main road back to camp. Well that night we were treated to the storm that went through Adelaide, what a wild night. Thursday we wake up to a lake under the camper trailer and a broken awning bracket ( now I have to find someone to weld up my alloy roof rack ). Luckily it is blowing a gale to dry everything out in time to pack up. We then head to Brim to take some shots of the painted silos but the weather gets the better of us and we decide to head to Bendigo to a warm B & B ready for the Jeep show. 

Thank you to Thurstain and Anastasia for you great company on this trip. 

I will post the photos on the trip page, can't work out how to resize them on my IPad to post here.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
02 Oct 2016

Awesome report Dave!.... Pity that the weather has turned a few away......Next year, I may do Border Track. Let's go together. 

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
02 Oct 2016

Awesome report Dave!.... Pity that the weather has turned a few away......Next year, I may do Border Track. Let's go together. 

Yep still want to do the Border Track 

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
02 Oct 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
02 Oct 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
02 Oct 2016