Winching Basic Guide

Forum > General Discussion
Jesse
Jesse (Stirlo)
28 Sep 2016

Was going to post in the 4WD Guides & Tips section but not allowed :P

Hey All,

After doing a few recoveries on a few trips now and doing a few side rescues across the state I have noticed alot of people don't know what in my mind I call winching basics. So I thought I would write up a quick guide and draw some terrible photos in Paint for you all.

Self Recovery:

Single Line Pull:

Pretty Basic but will explain anyway in case people are wondering. First of find something nice, strong and no movable to winch to in this example a tree. ALWAYS use a tree protector strap if possible! Wrap the tree protector strap around the tree, pull winch out hook onto loop on tree protector strap. Then ALWAYS place a Recovery Damper/Winch Blanket or in worse case a jacket on your winch line. Jump back in and start winching. Pretty Easy, Simple and Effective.

Double Line Pull:

The main benefit of a Double Pull Line is it almost Doubles the "Pulling Strength" of the winch, means easier on the winch! Same setup except instead of hooking onto tree protector go through a snatch block and back to the recovery point on your car.

Now my favourite type of rescues. When you're helping out your mate/another car.

Recovering Another Car:

Double Line Pull:

Same theory as if you were doing a self recovery HOWEVER very important to secure the "winching car" to a Anchor or at least chock the wheels. Have seen too often cars getting winched into other cars. Use tree protector or similar to connect snatch block in front of stuck car. Run winch through and back to the winching car. Remember Double Line Pulls "Double the pulling power" and make it easier on the winch.

Directional Pull:

In my mind the more "Advanced" winching technique in beginner winching. The rescue car places winch through a snatch bloke the down to stuck car.  Very handy technique if recovering cars over banks or down a hill where double pull winching is not possible.

Well there is a basic guide/pictures to help you guys who are unsure or don't understand how to use your winch. There is many other techniques include Triple Pull Winching Etc... I can write up a guide with some pictures if requested.

One weekend when I have abit of free time I might run a Winching Basics/Advance Winching Trip. (If interest is there)

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Sep 2016

Top work Jesse !!!!!!! And you are right, the drawing are terrable but the info makes up for it.

The only thing I would say is be very carefull when doing directional pulls because the load on the snatch block can be very high and they are the weakest point, ALWAYS have spectators standing well back and out off the way, car recovery is not a game and can be very dangerous if not done correctly. Let the winch cool down if doing extended recoveries and most of all take your time and think about all the possible options.

Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
29 Sep 2016

Not sure that using a "Snatch Strap" in your 3rd example is correct advise???

Good idea to distrute the load between 2 points on the car but I would use either 2 tree trunk protectors or one short winch extension strap or even just double up the extension strap 1 or more times to take up the slack.

My winch extension strap stretches enough as it is, I wouldn't want to stretch a snatch strap with a winch and then have it snap like a big rubber band.

Another rule of thumb I always keep in mind is that if the winch is winching in but the car isn't moving then your just storing more and more energy into the entire system. The less energy you can put into the system the better.

Jesse
Jesse (Stirlo)
29 Sep 2016

Not sure that using a "Snatch Strap" in your 3rd example is correct advise???

Good idea to distrute the load between 2 points on the car but I would use either 2 tree trunk protectors or one short winch extension strap or e......

Whoops my bad there! Shouldn't be use paint at 9pm lol Will update photos/ provide some more information when I get back from deni on Monday :)

Shelly
Shelly (Magpie)
29 Sep 2016

Great job with pictures and your explanations......I have done a double line pull and when I set it up I had a winch damper on both lines,  looking at your picture you have one,  so there is no need for two dampers then

Shelly
Shelly (Magpie)
29 Sep 2016

Whoops my bad there! Shouldn't be use paint at 9pm lol Will update photos/ provide some more information when I get back from deni on Monday :)

I always use a equalizer strap......

()
29 Sep 2016

This fella explains it well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXxLh8shMu8

BTW Shelly, you can never have too many dampers, ideally two on a single line pull.

It's there to halt a flying cable, if it breaks at one end it will travel the length it takes to get to the damper, and will still have plenty of energy to go a fair bit further (particularly with cable) so 2 dampers per line is great.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
30 Sep 2016

Exellent post mate! ... just a few suggestions. 

1. Always use damper even if you are using a winch rope. 
  2. When using double line pull, use damper on all ropes. 
  3. Make sure you use a good (not dead/dry) tree. 
  4. Try to position your tree trunk protector as low as possible when wrapping around a tree trunk. Tree is not unbreakable :) 
  5. when wrap around the tree trunk, make sure your strap is not twisted
  6. If possible, the driver should control the winch inside their car (winch and drive at the same time). 

Now below is important

1. All bystanders should stand clear (possibly behind a tree). 
  2. When winching, it draws a lot of battery. If possible, give it 30 seconds pause after 30 seconds winching to help recharge and avoid overheating the winch motor. 
  3. Make sure you leave at least 1 layer or minimum half a drum of rope. The rope will help holding the load. It's important. 
  4. If your winch cable/rope is not long enough, don't just joint an extension strap (winch extension strap, not snatch strap!) using a shackle. Use a proper strap joining technique. 

Last by not least, winching is a potentially dangerous recovery operation. Take your time, think clear and don't be lazy or take short cut. 

Shelly
Shelly (Magpie)
30 Sep 2016

() wrote:

This fella explains it well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXxLh8shMu8

BTW Shelly, you can never have too many dampers, ideally two on a sin......

Thanks for that video,  very informative....