Walking track Toolangi

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2   Next
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 Sep 2016

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to tackle Walking Track, the hardest track at Toolangi, the DSE has dropped a few trees over the top section of the track so it is now not possible to go down it and IF you can make it up you would have to turn around and go back down, also keep in mind if it is listed as a closed track you could be fined up to $4000.00 if cought driveing it and also have no TAC or insurance cover if things go pair shaped.

Tristan
Tristan (Stockers42)
26 Sep 2016

Is it listed as a seasonally closed track though?? If it's not I'm more than happy to go down with some mates with a few chainsaws and winch the trees out of the way so we can all drive it again

()
26 Sep 2016

Is it listed as a seasonally closed track though?? If it's not I'm more than happy to go down with some mates with a few chainsaws and winch the trees out of the way so we can all drive it again

anyone got gps coordinates for it? can't find it on the map...

Darren
Darren (nuttbag007)
26 Sep 2016

It isn't listed. I drove up it 2 weeks ago in the rain and the top section is off it's head fun and hard and got around the trees at the top.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 Sep 2016

its not listed as seasional closed, on a lot of maps its called Reds west, maybe they have dropped more trees at the top, didn't look like there was any way around but didn't look to hard...

Tried to drive it a couple of weeks ago but with 32's and no lockers only got 3/4 of the way and had to reverse down, its certainly a tough track...

()
26 Sep 2016

Just had a look at google maps and found it - but it's not a gazetted track (http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=pam). 

In short that means it's a no-go (no TAC, no insurance, fine). Even on google it's marked as a "walking track" (not having the name walking track) - I remember that track actually looking like a walking track and later looking like a bike trail. Been about 2yrs since I've been out there.

I'd get a correct set of maps or confirm with DSE before driving it.

Don't get me wrong I love a challenging track, but more and more tracks get closed because of abuse (intentinonal and unintentional)

Cheers

Andre

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
26 Sep 2016

its not listed as seasional closed, on a lot of maps its called Reds west, maybe they have dropped more trees at the top, didn't look like there was any way around but didn't look to hard...

Tried to drive it a couple of week......

Its called red east
Comes off marginal rd

Matt with all due respect 32s and no lockers wouldnt of been the main line 3/4 of the way up.

The place is disgraceful at the moment

Darren
Darren (nuttbag007)
26 Sep 2016

35 Simex Lockers and in the wet not driveable. Bit of winching but one hell of a track. If it is not closed I am allowed to drive it. It is on the map as walking track. NOT "A walking trtack"

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 Sep 2016

Yeh sorry reds east, ah east, west, left right up down...

3/4 it only gets hard just over half way and we where about 200m from the top, don't under estimate a Landy when its all working wellwink

Don't just go by google maps, rooftops have heaps of tracks that google doesn't....

()
26 Sep 2016

Toolangi is a state forest managed by DSE/DEPI and the track is not on their maps.

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
26 Sep 2016

35 Simex Lockers and in the wet not driveable. Bit of winching but one hell of a track. If it is not closed I am allowed to drive it. It is on the map as walking track. NOT "A walking trtack"

This is correct
In the dry she cam still be a pain in the arse but the triton has done it at least half a dozen times straight up no winch.

Been up it with the pootrol in the wet amd not as successful

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
26 Sep 2016

Yeh sorry reds east, ah east, west, left right up down...

3/4 it only gets hard just over half way and we where about 200m from the top, don't under estimate a Landy when its all working wellwink

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
26 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Just had a look at google maps and found it - but it's not a gazetted track (http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=pam). 

I have done it at least a dozen times and have never found that to be the case.
If depi or dse have placed trunks across the top of it now that would be a first from what i know.

Either way wouldnt put it passed them concidering it is a place that does cop seasonal track closures.

She is a real beauty, you can be twin locked and still need to winch

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
27 Sep 2016

I am surprised it is not on the DSE map, its on all rooftop maps and my Hema, niether Reds East or Reds West, also known as Walking Track and Lyndells Track are there but both are on all my maps.

Neither are listed as seasional closures on the goverment web sites.

There is still the rolled car on Lyndells which is half covered by a tarp and police tape which I am thinking was the roll over from early this year in which the driver sustained serious injury and passed away

()
27 Sep 2016

Yeh they did the sane thing with Boys Camp track up at  Noojee , we got all the way to the top of this mud slide to find at the top when they graded the main road the pushed tree branches and logs into the top of the track it took the best part of 2 hours to clear it , we had no choice we could not go back at this time of year , THOSE P#^%Ks .

1 2   Next