Overheating problem

Forum > Tech talk, questions
1 2   Next

Ok here goes....I have a 2006 Pajero 3.2 diesel automatic. Have had it 12mths. It overheats when under load only.

Have flushed radiator (2yrs old). replaced the cap. Replaced Thermostat , fan clutch, water pump.

I know it's starting to get hot because the transmission starts jerking in low gear. The person before said he didn't have a problem but I don't think he worked it. It was summer when I bought it and I towed a van, in the beginning didn't have a problem. The oil cooler to the trans has the bottom a bit dented...before I got the bash plates. Is there any way to know if it's the trans or motor causing the problem? Or any other ideas what it could be......I just want to go up a steep hill without dramas 😀 Tarnia 

()
19 Sep 2016

Message deleted by the author.

()
19 Sep 2016

Oil coolers aren't very expensive, if you are towing not a bad idea to get a bigger one anyway.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
20 Sep 2016

Hmmmm. It was OK after we put those bolt(s) through the fan hub wasn't it ?    And you put a new hub on after that ?  If it's playing up again, might be worth putting the through-bolt one on again to see if that fixes it... Even new hubs have been known to be crook !

You can conclusively rule out the hub if the bolted one doesn't fix it.

Is the water temp gauge reading high ?  Is there a trans temp warning light ?  If there's a trans temp issue it would be worth unscrewing the lines on the outlet side of the cooler and just checking if there''s flow through it - crank and start the engine for like 2 seconds with the engine running as fluid should shoot out.  Then top up again but test in in an area you can clean up easy as it's messy...

() wrote:

Hi Gary, Yes the temp gauage goes to boil. We just changed the water pump and sprayed the radiator with air heaps of dust came out. Fan clutch is working. Have done a few transmission oil changes just to be sure. Thanks for your suggestions. Will post once I finally find out what the problem is. Tarnia

() wrote:

Oil coolers aren't very expensive, if you are towing not a bad idea to get a bigger one anyway.

Hi Mark yes will look into that, just seems strange that I  didnt have a issue in the beginning towing in the summer. Thanks Tarnia

Hmmmm. It was OK after we put those bolt(s) through the fan hub wasn't it ?    And you put a new hub on after that ?  If it's playing up again, might be worth putting the through-bolt one on again to see if that fixe......

Hi Alex, It overheated with that fan clutch with the bolts on when coming back from Port Albert towing the van. Gauge goes up real quick when she gets hot. No alarms or lights ever go on. Might not have them or they too might not work!!! Will see if the line is flowing. No worries about the mess I never make a mess.....ask Pauly about his driveway lol...... Cant wait for our trip got some new flavours for you.

()
20 Sep 2016

Edit, sorry I just saw you said temp guage, ok better get that fixed or you'll cook your engine.

I assume you put the green coolant in when you flushed the radiator?

()
20 Sep 2016

Sounds silly but check fan belts are on properly and driving everything well, (check tension)

If you have an auto tension pulley check the bearing is moving freely and not causing resistance.

Do you have one or two belts? Are they both there?

() wrote:

Edit, sorry I just saw you said temp guage, ok better get that fixed or you'll cook your engine.

I assume you put the green coolant in when you flushed the radiator?

Put the new type coolant in, its yellow for all cars 4wds  top of the range Im told. 50/50 mix.

()
20 Sep 2016

Are the belts squealing?

()
20 Sep 2016

Did the problem start after the bash plates were installed? IE reduced air flow?

()
20 Sep 2016

()
20 Sep 2016

Does your car have a separate transmission oil cooler, or is it plumbed into the base of the radiator, or a combination of the two?

Is there a warm up valve that stops flow when cold to the trans?

As Garry said, does the trans fluid smell burnt?

()
20 Sep 2016

1 2   Next