Crossing Coopers Creek (Walhalla) - river too high?

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Sep 2016

Hi guys,

I am running a touring trip on Sunday. Does anyone know if Coopers Creek Tk (Near Walhalla) river level may be too high too cross now? 

John
John (JRP)
13 Sep 2016

Kelvin, on Saturday crossed Aberfeldy river and Fultons creek and both were no issue (no snorkel required). Not sure what the Thompson is currently like but didn't look like they were releasing water.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Sep 2016

John (JRP) wrote:

Kelvin, on Saturday crossed Aberfeldy river and Fultons creek and both were no issue (no snorkel required). Not sure what the Thompson is currently like but didn't look like they were releasing water.

Awesome thanks for info John!..... I will likely to skip the cross on Sunday, just be safe especially a few cars will not have snorkel on my trip. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
13 Sep 2016

I suspect it will be Kelvin after all this rain. Over the years,even in summer when other crossings are low, have always found this one deeper. There is one section that has a bit of a hole that can be up to bonnet height. Have added 2 pics with one just before the whole, (not deep), and the other with the Patrol entering the hole.

River always seems to be travelling quite quickly here and no doubt it will be flowing quickly now. Maybe a better option might be the crossing at Bruntons Bridge, which is not far away. I'll find a pic.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Sep 2016

I suspect it will be Kelvin after all this rain. Over the years,even in summer when other crossings are low, have always found this one deeper. There is one section that has a bit of a hole that can be up to bonnet height. Have added 2 pics wit......

Nice pic Allan and thanks for the info. Yes, I am planning to check out Bruntons Bridge but probably come from Walhalla instead of Moe. I think the route will be grom Walhalla railway station, up Happy Go Lucky Road, and then onto Bruntons Bridge Road.... it will be a touring trip so try to stay it that way, don't want to risk drowning any vehicles. 

()
13 Sep 2016

At the moment it's steady .35m at coopers ,next few days it might change to rising.

()
13 Sep 2016

Bruntons bridge can get deep on the other side river  of the camping areas near the exit for standard 4wds, had to rescue a pajeo, a young bloke pinched his dads pajeo and drowned it , he said he was of to join the French foreign legion the following week.lol

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
13 Sep 2016

Shitty photo but Bruntons Bridge & the crossing.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Bruntons bridge can get deep on the other side river  of the camping areas near the exit for standard 4wds, had to rescue a pajeo, a young bloke pinched his dads pajeo and drowned it , he said he was of to join the French foreign legion the following week.lol

Haha,.. no fear! ... he was a legend! 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Sep 2016

Shitty photo but Bruntons Bridge & the crossing.

Very nice, I think I will take the group to check out the bridge... very likely not to cross the river on Sunday. Definitely need to go back when it gets warmer..... 

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
13 Sep 2016

Good spot Bruntons bridge... camped there a few years ago

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
16 Sep 2016

A little off topic (sorry to hijack) but has anyone done the deep crossing on fultons recently? I haven't done it but am hoping to get through it at the end of the month.

Matt
Matt (Midday71)
17 Sep 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Matt
Matt (Midday71)
17 Sep 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Matt
Matt (Midday71)
17 Sep 2016

Hi Kelvin, 

I've just got back from doing a loop through Coopers Creek and Bruntons Bridge. 

There's 2 ways across the river at Coopers, the one on the right has a bit of a hole and may come up to the bonnet on your more standard fourby but if you stick to the left exit you'll have no problem, only came half way up my wheel, same at Bruntons too. 

Cheers. 

1 2   Next