Previous   1 2

()
12 Sep 2016

I have been using Atturo Trail Blades MT (32. I had gone on 6 trips on most weekends and they actually outlasted my CVs. They wear slowly and will chip and get cut a little . 

They are cheap at around $270 for a 33" . I do recommend the larger sizes as I believe mine are too narrow for the weight of my car and with limited profile 65. (275/65/18=32") . I think having 33x 12.5 " width X 18 is ideal as  a minimum.

I will also add they do hum  like you are being chased by a swarm of bees and with about 120 hours driving at between 14psi and 20psi (road pressures around 40psi) on trails they have worn only 1 mm out of 16mm. The on road distance has been around 7000klm on the highway . Compared to Yokohama Geolandar AT-S tyres (29" tyre)I had in the past 7000klm on the highway and 60 hrs off-road - they wore down 7 mm out of 14mm. The Yokohama's grip so well on road and on dirt roads I loved them but not their tread wear .

Another important note about Atturo tyres is that they put them on those big heavy American SuVs . Designed in the  USA but made in Thailand.

David (DSPIES)
12 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Just a question - how large was the tear on the sidewall ?

Bloody small. - about 4cm or the length of the 'M'.  it just seems crazy that they can't fix side wall damage when its so 'relatively minor'.

()
12 Sep 2016

I personally like the Atturos and wished for a larger size if I could . One of my tyres had a side wall cut 3 cm  but  not deep but I will replace it . It did not lose air . Did the bc Goodrich lose air?

()
12 Sep 2016

Bloody small. - about 4cm or the length of the 'M'.  it just seems crazy that they can't fix side wall damage when its so 'relatively minor'.

The concern would be a catastrophic sidewalk blowout - very bad if it happens at high speed.

()
12 Sep 2016

Unfortunately you can't fix that size side wall damage,the side walls roll around and a patch isn't strong enough. At a tyre joint I us to work at, you could plug patch in the tread area keeping it tubeless, once puncture is in the shoulder and side wall area we would patch and tube the tyre but only if hole was smallish ,the patch was to stop the tube from getting pinched by the hole.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Sep 2016

Hi There,

I've mostly had BFG muddies (on suzuki's, land rover shorties & my 80 series). on my 80 I started to be more particular about them and rotated them every time I did the oil & filters so every 5,000k's ........

Only ever used BFG, currently on my second set of KM2. Obviously I can't provide a comparison with other brands however I can say that the KM2 have never let me down on or off road. Considering they are a muddy they provide very good control on road and minimal noise (relatively speaking). My only gripe is mileage as I only get around 40k km out of them with regular rotations - commuting, weekend bush trips and touring trips to SA/NT. I'm always amazed (and jealous) when I hear that others are getting 50k to 90k km out of KM2. I'm considering the Grapplers or MTZ 3 for my next set.

()
12 Sep 2016

How much wear have you got left in the other three tyres?

Possibly look for a used tyre to match, till you get a new set.

When you do get 5 or even 6 matching ones and rotate them regularly.

David (DSPIES)
12 Sep 2016

() wrote:

gday mark,

I'f my better half decides the funds are tight, that may be the best option.  I've probably done about 25k on them but they aren't in the best condition.  I'll try and sell them to folks as spares to raise a few $$s. As i went for 305/70/16 on my current set, it can also be quite difficult to locate spares.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Howdy Mark,

both sets of tyres have worn evenly so my remark is a general one with regard to the fast wear I have personally experienced with the Km2. My understanding of these tyres is that they are a relatively soft compound and reviews from others on forums have generally backed up my experience but in saying that I have also come across others such as yourself who have been blessed with long wear so it has also left me baffled how this can occur - Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you comments. I reckon due to the price advantage of the Grapplers compared to MTZ I'll give them a crack next year. Depending on the outcome of the switch I'll stick with that brand for a while or try MTZ afterwards or back to BF. At the end of the day it's best to have tried a few different brands (selected from others experience to avoid the crap or over priced and over marketed brands) to judge what works best for your own use and vehicle.

cheers

()
12 Sep 2016

gday mark,

I'f my better half decides the funds are tight, that may be the best option.  I've probably done about 25k on them but they aren't in the best condition.  I'll try and sell them to folks as spares......

You wont get stuff all selling them if there is still enough tread just locate a spare, most tyre shops keep the ok ones, it may take ten phone calls but you'll find one no probs. Dry weather is coming up, keep that in mind.

Paul Hinds
Paul Hinds (NLPajero)
12 Sep 2016

Check out the recent edition of the e-mag Unsealed 4x4, they have a very complimentry articile on Toyo Open Counrty 11's Compared to BFG and Mick Toms these Toyos seem very well priced

I havent used them myself as I have BFG......

Hi

I have recently purchased the Toyo Open Country IIs. for an upcoming trip to moreton island in 4 weeks. Have done about 1000ks on them on the highway only at this stage. Find them really good in both wet and dry. Will be trying them offroad in 2 weeks when i go to tamworth. They cost bme $1300 for 5 fitted and balanced 265/70/16

Debs
Debs (Debztoy)
12 Sep 2016

I had a set of KL71s on mine for quite awhile, did over 80,000kms of driving with still more meat left in them.

ONLY reason I changed was because I severed a sidewall when I debeaded a tyre off my rim, and I was keen to try the Baja Claws, to be perfectly honest the money I spent on the Baja Claws isn’t worth the tyre.

When it’s time to buy new tyres, I’ll be going back to the KL71s. 

Mark (Mark66)
12 Sep 2016

Only ever used BFG, currently on my second set of KM2. Obviously I can't provide a comparison with other brands however I can say that the KM2 have never let me down on or off road. Considering they are a muddy they provide very good contro......

Hi,

I just saw the note re poor length of life (re k's) out of the BFG's and wonder about tyre presures - I had 285/75/R16's on my 80 which as mentioned was circa 2,850kg's depending on how much fuel I was carrying and how many bods (it all went up from there) - accourding to a weigh bridge it was well balanced at 1,800kg's over each axle.

I was always at 34psi unless I needed to go low which I did a lot and my deflators are set at 17psi.

I did a few trips into SA (flinders ranges) but mostly Vic High Country - it was also a daily driver so heaps of black top.

maybe consider your presures if you haven't already - this has worked for another mate who chewed through some MTZ's in an unreasonably quick time with his 200?

good luck, hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

PS we put Hankook Dynapro AT's on my wifes 90 series prado and they have done 50,000 so far (two trips to the Flinders ranges, yes we like it there, a few high country trips, several desert trips and daily commuting) and they look like they have hardly worn - quiet, great road handling and never let me down off road so a good tyre also.

These have made me start to favour AT's over MT's as well.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
12 Sep 2016

Hi,

I just saw the note re poor length of life (re k's) out of the BFG's and wonder about tyre presures - I had 285/75/R16's on my 80 which as mentioned was circa 2,850kg's depending on how much fuel I was carrying an......

Good point Mark. I have already dropped a few psi as part of my troubleshooting so I'll take your advice and go lower. The tyre mob had them at 41psi to start with... Thanks for the hint, much appreciated. I reckon you're on the mark.

cheers

Mark (Mark66)
12 Sep 2016

Good point Mark. I have already dropped a few psi as part of my troubleshooting so I'll take your advice and go lower. The tyre mob had them at 41psi to start with... Thanks for the hint, much appreciated. I reckon you're on the mark.

cheers

good luck.

the mate I referred to with the 200 ealier was on a trip with me when it came up as a discussion topic and he was all about having the dealership do all the servicing and they know best routine so I checked his presures and discovered they were at 60 - I hadn't seen tyres at that level since we all had slip rims on our toyota's.

he's had much a better tyre experience since so hopefully you will if it turns out to be the right thing for you.

Previous   1 2