1 2   Next

David (DSPIES)
12 Sep 2016

Gday folks,

so a has been mentioned in another thread, i tore a hole in the sidewall of my bfg mtr on Saturday (f***), so now unfortunately i'm in the market for new tyres (aka now going to tear a hole in my wallet).

I've always run mtrs although there seem to be some faily agressive all terrains getting around nowa-days.

So... where do i start...

i'm currently running 305/70/16. i'd do a little too much road driving and i'm not the biggest fan of screaming road noise. the patrol is my daily so they need to be able to stop in the wet.

Should i go with km2's? The bfg's have been good in all regards except, getting quite torn up fairly quickly  (and now tearing a side wall running 17psi at toolangi) although i think the KM2's are meant to be slightly better. 

wrangler kevlars are super expensive...

what else is out there that wont wear too quickly and still strong offroad?

cheers folks

Mathew
Mathew (Bitsaremissy)
12 Sep 2016

Just a heads up the bfgs have a promo on at the moment if you buy four km2s or ka2s you get a free arb compressor. Its via redemption.
promo.bfgoodrich.com.au

Don Clark
Don Clark (kmdc)
12 Sep 2016

Just a heads up the bfgs have a promo on at the moment if you buy four km2s or ka2s you get a free arb compressor. Its via redemption.
promo.bfgoodrich.com.au

Hi David,

My son has purchased a set of BFG KO2's all terain about six months ago for his Triton. He originally had a set of BFG's on when he purchased the vehicle about two years ago and he has had a good run with then, hence he purchased the BFG KO2's. 

I have a set of Cooper ST's on my 105 LC and all was going fine until I did a Simpson Desert trip last year. Was not the desert so much as the terain getting there from Vic via SA OD track etc. the corrugations we really bad. the tread on the ST's chipped so bad where I had none before ( done 65,000k's). Cooper dealer told me they had a 'problem' with the compound on the ST's. thanks a million.

About to replace the Coopers and am seriously looking at the BFG KO2's. Have been quoted a really good price and the ARB promo is not to shabby either. 

Regards, Don C...

()
12 Sep 2016

Hi David,

My son has purchased a set of BFG KO2's all terain about six months ago for his Triton. He originally had a set of BFG's on when he purchased the vehicle about two years ago and he has had a good run with then, henc......

Back in 2008 a mate had coopers and they chipped badly and eventually one delaminated, he did get a claim for them. 

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
12 Sep 2016

Hi,

Not wanting to get involved in a debate about tyres but I had a similar experience with a brand new set of BFG's in the years before the KM2, after this I switched to Mickey Thomsons and I have not had an issue since - currently running the ATZ P3 and I am extremely happy. Few of my friends run the Mickey T's too in both M/T and A/T and no bad reports whatsoever. Many trips later and we have not had a puncture for years - at least not in the Mickey Thomsons....

Rod

Christo
Christo (Lotriet)
12 Sep 2016

Bfg atz ko2 ........sidewall super thick and quiet on road

Anthony (Anthony)
12 Sep 2016

I was always the biggest fan of bfg's myself having used them for the first 20+ years on my 4wdriving life, finally decided to try coopers, biggest mistake of my life. When I returned to get a new set of bfg's a suggestion was to try the the new General Grabbers made by Continental tyres, while they are a bit weightier on the car and the tread is quite aggressive they have been surprisingly quite and grip in the wet is the best I have experienced from any 4wd tyre. After 25000klms the ware is only around 1.5 - 2mm on the gauge so again I'm very impressed. Price was around $305 for 275x75x16 so when compared to the bfg's at the time which were about $10 / tyre dearer

Zak
Zak (Uzooz)
12 Sep 2016

I run the comfosser CF300 same size you may have seem them last trip 

super cheap and has last me quite a while now and still looks good been on every iconic track in Victoria 

it has lost pressure out of the bead couple of times on low pressure but just pump up and go

i would use them again n again on local trips with in Victoria as I said cheap not noisy on highways and won't stressed me out if I stuff one up

but if I have to go long distance on highway like other states then I would go with BFGs KO2 AT

Mark (Mark66)
12 Sep 2016

Hi There,

I've mostly had BFG muddies (on suzuki's, land rover shorties & my 80 series). on my 80 I started to be more particular about them and rotated them every time I did the oil & filters so every 5,000k's .... all 5 tyres were used in the rotation and every 20,000k's i had them stripped and flipped around on the rims as well.

The car weighed 2,850k's (front & rear bars, roof rack, drawers, dual bat's, winch etc...), it got used around Toolangi and in the High country a lot yet I got over 90,000k's out of the tyres though, while they were roadworthy they weren't much chop in the mud.

I was always very happy with their road manners both for handling and noise.

I'm sure the same care shown to other tyres would give a similar result but directional tyres (some of the Mickey T's?) mean this is not possible

I am about to put some tyres on my Disco and will be going KM2's

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
12 Sep 2016

You many not need muddies.  Depends where you go driving.  My Vic 4WD instructor reckoned that there's a solid enough base to our holes to mean ATs perform OK.

I heard a lot of good things about the BFG ATs* so had those fitted, the KO2s. They'be been fine on the Tanami, Gibb etc which I did on the last trip (c. 2000 kms of dirt all up).  Drove through lots of ponded water aired down to 20 with no drama.  Have also driven on a lot of wet and snow-covered bitumen this winter and the grip's been fine.

The only down side is that the stiff sidewall (3 ply) makes for a fairly harsh ride.  Reducing the compression damping in the shocks could compensate if you had adjustable units or if you were redoing your suspension get the valving done to suit.

*US users give them a good wrap:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2

Allan Whiting has been testing them and found them to run cool.  http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/new-bfg-all-terrain-tyre-range-march-2015?A=SearchResult&SearchID=80445018&ObjectID=5738571&ObjectType=35

HTH.

Shane
Shane (Sic 8o)
12 Sep 2016

i have recently bought the mickey thomson ps3,s very aggresive all terrain,i find them good in the wet,and pretty good in mud,

Steve (steveg)
12 Sep 2016

Check out the recent edition of the e-mag Unsealed 4x4, they have a very complimentry articile on Toyo Open Counrty 11's Compared to BFG and Mick Toms these Toyos seem very well priced

I havent used them myself as I have BFG all terrians (not KM2) that are still good after 60k on a 200 series

Hey mate, i run 33" federal couragia mt. On my 3rd set now and love them. Would never change, i have done extensive trips thru sand mud and rock on these and always performing great. Also on the road i use mine as my daily and stopping in wet or hard lock is good. They are not a deep hole in wallet either. $250 per tire fitted and balanced

David (DSPIES)
12 Sep 2016

Thanks folks,

Gees this is a hard decision.

i had a look at the ko2's and mickey T's P3.  

i dont need an air compressor (unless they throw in a free air locker) and i am slightly p**sed off my current bfgs tore when they were aired down so low, so i'm not sure i want to give bfg my money again just yet.

i've had a prodcutive morning at work and read a bit about the nitto trail grappler (mt) which both Jason and Allan on this forum also run and are happy with. they come in 285/75/16 and my spare is 305/70/16 but i assume that wont be a problem as its only a different width. this is probably now my first preference at the moment.

i might speak to the master of finances tonight and see what the one person consensus is.  It may be that 330 a corner is a little high for a m/t but not so bad for an A/t if i get more mileage out of them. If i have to go with an A/t i'll go back and have a closer look at the mickey T P3 which aren't cheap mind you at $357 a corner. 

thanks for all the feedback folks. It's bloody hard to tell much difference when looking at them on a screen.

()
12 Sep 2016

Just a question - how large was the tear on the sidewall ?

1 2   Next