Tallarook - throwing mud at night (9/9/16)

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
11 Sep 2016

Well it sure was a night packed with action! And it's been suggested I need to reconsider my idea of what is "easy"...

After the meet and greet, we headed in to the forest via Davis Rd, up past the open gate at the end and down to the creek crossing where we aired down. The weather turned kind on us after a solid day of rain and the clouds even started to break up as we headed in. First challenge was Jenkins No.1 which myself and Braden climbed up without a problem, then Fikre made his attempt and with the slippery surface and decent ruts up the steep climb at the start it proved a little harder. With a bit of spotting and advice on line to take he made it up after a few goes. Top work. Phillip was next and with the track getting pretty slicked out by this point we made the choice to pull out the winch on the FJ and reel him up over the first crest. Once done, we kept cruising up and across the top of J1 and then down Jenkins Link, onto Dicks before traversing across Jenkins 2 and onto Stony Creek Track. All pretty straight forward through these sections - steepish in spots, a few fallen trees with clearance tracks and I will admit it would've been slippery on road tyres or ATs that are a bit worn, however this part of the trip allowed everyone to really take in their surroundings and the eery feeling of driving through the forest at night. It allowed heart rates to settle a bit after the excitement at the start.

We continued along onto Horans then dropped into Tehans 6, again slippery through the steep sections but fun driving. We headed back up Tehans 5, all good until the final steep climb near the top. My muddies made easy work of it but I had a feeling it may not be so easy for the others. Braden managed to power through it, foot buried in the firewall and a fair bit of wheel spin. Fikre was next and again made a damn good run at it but just couldn't quite carry enough momentum to make it over a washout mound. We tried a few different approaches but it was no dice. So I backed Yoda down slowly, brakes not being a good option as it was locking up and sliding all too easily. Crawl control on and we crept down to the top of the washout. Snatch attached, locker engaged, then berries. First pull went nowhere - a 76 series is no lightweight on that incline. Second pull with a bit more run at it saw us bungied from one side of the track to the other under the elastic force of the strap. I was spinning the tyres looking for something more solid under the mud, spinning steering from side to side to try to find a grab point. Still no joy. By this stage - as we were dancing wildly from side to side across the track - my wife Sondra was starting to get a little nervous. Not sure if my giggles and wide grin helped calm her or make her even more anxious. On about the 4th attempt we got some traction and managed to gain 10m or so, enough to get Fikre's front wheels over the crest, and then I backed it up a little and floored it once more throwing fist sized clumps of mud and clay in the air as we skull dragged the 76 to the top. Sondra had had enough so got out to watch me repeat the effort with Phillip. I was giggling like a little kid with the fun of it all. I think I was on my own with those feelings...

And on we went, took Tehans 4 back down, same same as 6, then I took a wrong turn and ended up at the closed road heading into the pine plantation. Turned around, got my headings sorted and made our way towards Tehans 2. Started off ok, no dramas until I took the turn into the unnamed link track that runs between T2 and Brandy Corner. Dropping down into it was rutted and steep down to a little creek then around a bend and we looked up at a very steep and very rocky climb.

On the map it does say "Steep and rocky".

It was.

I instantly jumped on the radio and told the convoy to stop and turn back before even coming through the rutted bit, there was no way they were making it up this. I didn't like my options - nowhere to turn around, the track was narrow with steep banks on one side and a nasty drop into the creek on the other if I was to reverse out. The drive around to the top of Brandy Corner from where the others had stopped was an easy one, so after some deliberation I made the call for them to follow that around and wait at the junction while I attempted the climb. Not a decision I wanted to make, separating from the group is a big no-no for me, but I was genuinely nervous about reversing back to Tehans 2. I started climbing up the rock steps, giving it everything I had and using every bit of ability I've learned to try to pick the right line. After 5 or 6 attempts we managed to climb maybe 10m of track, it wasn't looking good. Sondra was literally screaming at me in panic, and i didn't want to start winching to get any further up without a skilled spotter. To try to calm my poor wife I threw in the towel and gingerly reversed out, losing traction many times, coming seriously close to the banks and getting stir fried by the nasty ruts. Finally we made it up and rejoined the group as tensions started to ease a little inside the cabin.

I could see everyone was starting to get a bit drained by this point, it was challenging terrain but a skill builder. Still, only so much you can take.

So we made our way across to Cable track towards our finish, and once again the map was right.

"Bog".

Yep. It was.

Poor Phillip got caught up on his front rail in a big hole on a tight left between trees. After looking at the options the first plan was to winch from a position off to the side, as a typical snatch could've sidelined him into the tree which was only a foot from his door. Not convinced with this approach I instead opted for attaching the 8T bridle strap, taking up the slack very carefully then putting the combination of tyres and power to use in towing rather than jerking the Ranger out. It worked. The best bit? See the photos in the trip section... at such close proximity my muddies absolutely coated the front of the Ranger with stinky mud. We all had a good laugh and Phillip lamented the cleaning effort ahead of him the next day.

Onto the final stages of the trip we took Rocky Track up towards the top of Mt Hickey, again hitting a tough section where it was quite steep and the rocks were decent size and slippery. You had to pick your line just right to get through it under power. After a few attempts we all got through without the need for recovery. I was really impressed with the way the guys thought about their line, how we communicated about what would work and then put it into action successfully.

Up across the top of the mountain and then down Mountain Track, negotiating the rock steps at the top and coasting down the track to the bottom where we aired up and looked around at several sets of tired eyes.

I want to thank Phillip, Braden, Fikre (and petrified sister) for coming on the trip and commend you all on a great effort and stepping out of your comfort zones and tackling some good challenging terrain and conditions. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and I really think everyone's skill levels and confidence will have stepped up a notch after that route. Also thanks to my wife for putting up with me taking tracks that scare her senseless.

I had a fantastic night and am definitely keen to do it again sometime. And that rocky link track that beat me - I'll be returning on a dry day soon to own it. Any takers on joining me?

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
11 Sep 2016

Great night was had by all, well most by the sound of it. Thanks for shareing, I would have joined you but with heading out early the next morning thought better not...

I could be tempted to join you for the next run out there

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
11 Sep 2016

Great report... does sound a bit more challanging than easy, if you do a repeat day trip may join you if date works.

Alex
Alex (Alex_Lemons)
11 Sep 2016

Sounds like an awesome trip! Sad i couldnt join you, but unfortunaly had to work first thing saturday morning :(

I will be keen to join you on that next trip out for sure

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
11 Sep 2016

I'll have to work my dates out when I look at running a repeat trip. It will be a medium to medium/hard trip though with Steep Track, Willies and possibly Phone Track included plus whatever else we can find to challenge ourselves. We are moving house late October so might be tough finding a day leading up to then to do a trip, but if we are organised I might look at the 16/10, otherwise will have to be mid November for me.

November would be better for me to join in. I'm keen as mustard to try out the cruiser. Especially now I have the winch fitted and new recovery gear. Hopefully I can make the next trip

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
11 Sep 2016

Steep and Phone are closed untill 27/10 ( cup weekend ) as are a few other tracks up there , once they open I will be running a trip up that way as well

()
11 Sep 2016

Well done leading another trip.

Sounds like your wife wasn't too happy with you mate, has she calmed down yet?

I have done that area in the wet and it can be tense.

As Matt said there are seasonal closures there, not all are gated, so check the map.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/fire,-flood-and-other-closures/seasonal-road-closures2

Map 22

Thanks Winston great night out . Wet was an experience , Night was an experience , Three recoveries all different methods an experience . great trip smiling the whole time cleaning the truck up for my wife to drive to work monday. love to do it all again 

Fikre
Fikre (Arsenal)
12 Sep 2016

Holly Mother of baby Jesus! What an experience that was. Many thanks to Winston and Sondra for organising the trip. Phillip and Brendon... Thanks for joining us on the trip and all the encouragement. I must say, I learnt valuable lessons that evening. Unfortunately, somehow I managed to traumatised my poor sister for good hahaha. Although she is thinking of upgrading her car to FJ, I don't think she's keen on taking a passenger seat on my next 4wd trip. 

I can't wait for the next adventure. 

God bless ya'll!

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
12 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Well done leading another trip.

Sounds like your wife wasn't too happy with you mate, has she calmed down yet?

I have done that area in the wet and it can be tense.

As Matt said there are seasonal closures t......

Yeah she's fine. I'm going to piece together a few bits of dashcam footage I have and you'll hear how postal she went. Hahaha.

Yeah I was getting premature about the SSC tracks. I've got the latest Vicmap digital maps which have all the closures marked.

We could always do an Oct and Nov run and in Oct do a few of the tricky open ones and then head south into Mt Disappointment to tackle a few open ones there. The Bump/Ladder is open - I'm well keen to give it a nudge.

()
12 Sep 2016

Hahaha I bet she'd love you posting that, sounds amusing though.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
12 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Hahaha I bet she'd love you posting that, sounds amusing though.

There's some colourful language, that's for certain...

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
14 Sep 2016

https://youtu.be/f1SnZ1vi9J8

()
14 Sep 2016

I can't make out the tanty throwing due to the music, but I get the idea.

That place can get bloody slippy in the wet.

1 2   Next