10th september 2016 Toolangi

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Brett
Brett (Vulgarwolf)
10 Sep 2016

Had my first trip out with a group from this website and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all( well nobody said they didnt like it).

All met up at 8:30 bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for some fun in the bush.  We had a few rocky track virgins which is always good to see.

We all aired down at the bottom of rocky track.  Somebody liked to air down a bit more than they thought and then had to put some air back in....we wont name name, however Dave was responsible. Then one by one we acended to stardom...to infinity and beyond.  The Disco, Patrol on 37's and triton all went up through the middle of the main track,  The land cruiser and other patrol (yes, they hunt in pairs) took the chicken track around after one driver had to winch himself onto the chicken track.

After this track we continued looking for more, trying to avoid bog holes, some were unavoidable and we had to push through them, nobody got stuck, no recoveries required...however.....somebody managed to split the sidewall of one of their tyres....i wont mention who it is...however lets just say this person had issues with air ealier and rhymes with Dave.

So out comes the trusty bottle jack...i mean who would think to take a highlift along...they are just big and cumbersome...and very effective.  We also got a demonstration about how to change a tyre in the bush, and how effective a shovel head can be used to play a jack on to stop it sinking into the ground.  This was the easy part....the difficult part of this was the procedure known as removing a jacket.....a certain person who we wont mention but their name starts with a D was having all sorts of trouble getting one of the arms out of a jacket, we knew there was a reason he took his father along to help him with his dressing abilities.

We then continued along some more tracks, some up hills, some down hills until we found the most challenging track that nobody completed...We sacraficed the discovery sending that up first...all was going well until he met some steps and his journey ended there.  We all had a wander up the track to see the situation that had presented itself.....there was much murmur and discussion of turning around, Matt stepped up in the patrol on 37's, if anybody had a capable vehicle it was him...he took a different line to the discovery and wasnt able to get as far...whether the track he took was harder or he was just outdriven by a disco it yet to be determined.  (it was much hard than the disco route).

Now we had 2 cars stuck midway up this hill to bring back down preferably intact.  The patrol was inching back slower and slower being guided along, look quite intense from the outside seeing the look on Matt's face, i think he was quite happy he was wearing his brown pants for the day.  He got down to a safe area and now it was time to assist the disco.

​There was conversation about leaving it there, or just rolling it down the hill on its own, however its owner also Matt wasnt very accomodating to that suggestion.  So into reverse for him and inching slowing back down the track, everybody was unscathed and no damage to cars, possibly just egos.

That my recollection of the trip, i'm sure others will give their thoughts and versions of events.

Thank you all who were involved for making it a fantastic trip, cant wait for the next one guys

Brett

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
10 Sep 2016

Great report Brett and glad you all had a great day. Am looking forward to hearing what the others on the trip have to say....wink. What tracks did you drive today?.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
10 Sep 2016

Firstly thanxs to everyone for making it a great day out, we all had a great time and after I had considered cancelling the trip due to all the rain I am glad we went ahead with it, although it did make it difficult to do the planned tracks, steep rocky stuff to wet, red clay and boggy stuff, well forget it, no point in tearing up tracks so the authorities have even more reason to install more gates...

we started with Rocky as mentioned ( nice write up by the way Brett !! ) and all went well even though its the only time I have even done it with a river flowing down it, good start to the day, mmm, what next Not much help track ??? It has BIG puddles but not really bog holes because of the rock base so off we went, I hope someone has some pics of the side angles some of us got ourselfs into...

I had planned to put everyone to the test and do Lyndells, it was a hard trip afterall, but with the rain there was no way anyone could get up that and winching all day or busted 4by's isn't my idea of fun so we went past that to Reds East. We got 3/4 of the way up but the top 150m was going to be toooo much so back down to save that challenge for another day.

A bit of a drive around to finish the day with some friendly banter on the UHF and before ya know it another great day out on the tracks is finished with everyone airing up and heading home.

Thanks again for a great day and best of all no broken bits, well other than a stupid anti vibrating weight that Land Rover bolts to the front diff, no big deal and 1 tyre, bloody sticks.

Photos to come

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
10 Sep 2016

Sound like you all had a great trip. Well done

Guess it's time to clean the mud off now

()
10 Sep 2016

Congrats on running a great trip Mattyes

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
10 Sep 2016

Cleaned the mud off on the way home before it dried, easy and only took $6 at the car washsmiley

Well worth the effort and another priceless lession learnt from old matewink

()
10 Sep 2016

Thanks for the trip reports. Sounds like a great time was had. Cheers👍

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
10 Sep 2016

Awesome trip report! .... Well done running a great trip Matt! 

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
11 Sep 2016

Great report from you both brett and matt.
Spewing i couldnt make it.

Red east aka walking track is a bit of a prick.
By far the hardest at toolangi.
Yesterdays comditions seemed to be too much for even the twin locked pootrol on 37s but in the dry could have been a different story.
Hope you all had fun.
Looking forward to catching you out on the next one

Brett
Brett (Vulgarwolf)
11 Sep 2016

Great report from you both brett and matt.
Spewing i couldnt make it.

Red east aka walking track is a bit of a prick.
By far the hardest at toolangi.
Yesterdays comditions seemed to be too much for even the twin locked ......
Did you ever do that track in your triton george ??

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
11 Sep 2016

I would have thought  Lydells was harder? Not the sort of track you can walk first though...

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
11 Sep 2016

Did you ever do that track in your triton george ??
Yes mate done it numerous times.

1st time twin locked (no crawlers no diff drop or ucas) was a fail.

Spat the rear leaf blocks (thai specials ) which collopsed under load ,ripped my abs wires, rotated the diff a full 90 degrees and wedged it up against the front of the rear guards. Broke the driveshaft in half and snapped my uni bolts and a few pther things.
All up 4 grand damage.

One i got the crawler gears in i have done this track another 8 to 10 times in it without even needing to winch.
Literally crawled up it every time.

There are a few videos of it which i have sent you via sms of 3 different times that I posted on youtube.

One of them was a night trip i did with fellow 4wdtrip member antony.
He rated walking track as top 3 hardest tracks hes done and so do i (and by that i do not mean taking the easiest route up it or the chicken track that becomes easier on the side), i mean doing the hardest lines on the track.

The last time headed up there was a couple weeks ago.
This was rhe first time i had ever attempted it in the twin locked gu auto with 35s.
I got to the gnarly section and after several attempts i decided to turn around as the people following me in there shorty patrol also lost there front diff.

Given that my tyres are at 35% tred and the track was wet i swallowed my pride and decided to turn around whilst my underwear suffered from severe brown staining.

As much as i love this track and have successfully completed it 90% of the time with no effort, its that last 10% of the time which makes me nervous

Its not dangerous, but its really shaily and loose on what seems to be a long slow incline.

I still get very excited each time i reach the finish line on that one.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
11 Sep 2016

Great Report... Thanks for sharing well done on your trip.

Brian
Brian (BTD4x4)
11 Sep 2016

Hi Brett

Sounds like a great day, I am still yet to join one for the first time. Well done on an excellent light hearted report that was fun to read but still very informative. I hope to catch up with some members on a trip soon.

Brian

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
13 Sep 2016

Where are the pics Matt?. If not sure how to put up here, you can email them to me and I will add them. Same goes for anyone else on the trip who has pics.

1 2   Next