Group buying for our 4wders

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
25 Aug 2016

Hi all
I am thinking of trialing a concept of group buying for our 4wd community. The idea is to combine our members and leverage group buying power to save. For instance I have recently bought an emergency beacon called SPOT GEN3 and I found it invaluable going on a trip especially when there are so many places don't get any mobile reception in High Country. The device costs around $210 If we can save by group buy it would be great for all our 4wd community.

What do you think?.. any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
25 Aug 2016

I think group buy could be great if we get items of interest.. probably polls would help us find that the community wants?

On a sidenote.. I looked into the SPOT a while back, and whilst the product is cheap to buy.. the expensive yearly subscription is it's killing point.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
25 Aug 2016

I think group buy could be great if we get items of interest.. probably polls would help us find that the community wants?

On a sidenote.. I looked into the SPOT a while back, and whilst the product is cheap to buy.......

Hey mate... think SPOT as your mobile... you don't just buy the phone you need to subscribe to the carrier... when phone can't save your life (no reception), SPOT will ... and you will know it worth every single penny.

Matt
Matt (Ratpack68)
25 Aug 2016

Hi Kevin,

This sounds like a great idea for us to get behind, I know clubs like the Pajeroe club use their members as leverage for getting purchasing deals to offer at discounted prices... I would certainly be interested in saving some doll hairs where possible.

Cheers

Leanne
Leanne (Highflyer78)
25 Aug 2016

On a sidenote.. I looked into the SPOT a while back, and whilst the product is cheap to buy.......

It sounds really good. I think you need a site we could all log into and see what is product of the month etc. register your interest. If enough ppl agree money paid upfront then purchased

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
25 Aug 2016

Group buys are a great idea, but if you want to do it effectively you need to cut out the middle man and import the product yourself.

I have some good connections for quality products and reliable suppliers, buyer protection insurance and varying minimum quantities between a single unit up to a shipping container (think tyres etc)

Sample order first as part of the QC process, then bulk order.

If anyone has some ideas I am happy to investigate through contacts as to pricing and availability. Feel free to send me a message if you have something in mind. My experience thus far has been savings of around 30% off Australian Web sales, 50-75% off retail.

Makes sense mate. I think it would a great idea. Will follow with interest.

Rick
Rick (Hammo)
25 Aug 2016

Sounds like a great idea....im in

Dave
Dave (disco)
25 Aug 2016

Hey Kelvin,

Great idea however working in one of eBays largest auto parts companies I know the margines are very close. So even if you get a lot of poeple that want one item it will be hard to get the price down lower than it is on eBay/websites/etc. It will depend on the item etc but in general prices are very close to cost. Its all about QTY now days.

I will have a chat to my boss and see if that is something he would do as well.

Regards

Dave

Mark (Mark66)
25 Aug 2016

sounds good, I'd certainly be interested I'm in need of stuff

Domenic
Domenic (Cowboy13)
25 Aug 2016

It sounds really good. I think you need a site we could all log into and see what is product of the month etc. register your interest. If enough ppl agree money paid upfront then purchased

Hi Kelvin, Great idea.... Everyone wants to ssave a few bucks here and there... I also like the monthly specials idea. 

Well Done!!

Kathy (Midnight blue)
25 Aug 2016

Great idea

Warren Hicks (Wazza)
25 Aug 2016

A group trade card such as that available to Patrol 4x4 members at Jaycar stores would be great if it could be done for ARB/TJM where you spend probably ten times as much as you do at Jaycar.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
25 Aug 2016

I think there are some good ideas to save a few $ on the 4x4 gear, a Jaycar card is good for save a few $ but you must get more than $25.00 worth at the time, it would be good if we had one set up for any other retail group, if there any other shops that we get our gear from it would be good to have a card etc.

I Importing if a good idea to save $ but if you get tyres they have to-be Australian approved, as with any other gear. From my experience in the past for it to work the money must be up front before you order any thing. 

I think you need to run a pole to find out what the members need.

Think this wojld be a great idea for items such as tyres and other consumables, perhaps fuel, that everybody uses regularly and would have a regular business for the supplier.

1 2   Next