Newbie questions

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3 4   Next
Leanne
Leanne (Highflyer78)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:

What tree? I cut down all the trees with my budget conscious Mitre10 Rockwell chain saw for testing :) btw the chainsaw is cheap but performs well once it's started ,  used regularly and maintained properly. 

just to le......

So far been on about 10 trips.

had to use snatch strap to pull out my uncles dmax who decided it was bullet proof and nearly slid into creek due to soft creek bed shale. MUX 1-0 DMax 

Lent 2nd hand uhf radio. It stopped working. We lost our convoy. Buy a handheld 

id agree with Ol mate #show me the money! Where's my money tree?

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

hi mate / i got a d22 which is stock except for a one tonne back end and we did some great tracks earlier this year down there / ingeegoodbee - blue rag and billy goats / great fun / i wouldnt use the factory pull points though - AT tyres would......

Thanks for the info Don

I'll give the easy tracks a go firstly - if I decide it's for me, then I'll look to upgrade the tyres, get a snorkel etc., so I can take on more difficult terrain.

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:

Hi Jas ,

Welcome to 4wdtrip -Wow many have replied and it's good to see new members say hello and introduce themselves.

Even though there are seasonal closures , there are still some/many tracks that remain open and at......

Thanks for your reply on the CBs Steve.  I'm feeling really welcome with everyone helping me with my questions - much apreciated.

Look forward to meeting you at some stage

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

Hi Jas,

i am based in Cairns so not really aware of tracks around Melbourne. From our experience up here a 2 way radio is important with a range of at least 5 km, when travelling in a group you kick up a lot of dust. We have lost our......

Hi Leanne

Thanks for the perfect example - I'm sold. Will look around to see what the budget allows.

Cheers

Jas

()
24 Aug 2016

Thanks for your reply on the CBs Steve.  I'm feeling really welcome with everyone helping me with my questions - much apreciated.

Look forward to meeting you at some stage

Cheers

Jas

Same here , I am sure we will be on a 4wdtrip one day .

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:

Don't go and buy a heap of stuff till you decide it's something you really want to get involved in.

If you go on a easy med trip, just ask someone if you can borrow a handheld.

I got one of these recently, these fe......

Hi Mark

Thanks for your advice - I'll definitely try the easy tracks first to see how I enjoy it before I go buying the more expensive stuff like tyres, etc.   Then, if I get really into it and want to do some tougher terrain, I'll then look to do some spending when the budget allows.

Over the coming weeks, I'll definitely start looking to buy some recovery points and gear, plus a UHF radio as a minimum though.

I've recently moved to Elsternwick and arent too familiar with Melbourne/ surrounding areas, even after 2 years as I travel (extensively) for work.  But have GPS to get me around when I'm here.

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

Hi Jas,

I personally bought a whole recovery kit off ebay from autoplus, never used it yet but quality looks solid. You can buy cheaper ones like https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/hercules-recovery-kit-10022.html, I read good stu......

Mate, thanks for explaining all that for me.

Like you, if I get hooked I wont mind spending the cash on upgrades as the budget allows, but firstly I'm keen to attempt the easy tracks and see what happens.

In the meantime, hopefully my Goodyear Wranglers allow me to drive the easy tracks when they reopen in October when it's dryer.

I'm definintely going to get the recovery hooks and kit as you've mentioned (without the winch) as a minimum though.

Thanks for the links too.

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:
Message deleted by the author.

Thanks mate!

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

Hi Jas, good to see another Navara !! get some rated recovery points front and rear, a recovery off the factory tow point could go pear shaped even result in serious injury or death up grade tyres to a decent set of all terrain the good year wr......

Thanks Andrew - appreciate the advice.

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:
Message deleted by the author.

Hi Garry

I hadnt thought of that - great idea.

Thanks!

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

Jas, you have received some great suggestions/advice from forum members and do yourself a favour and look back through the many trips that have been done to get an idea of the great areas we have available for us Victorians to go 4wding. Withou......

Hi Allan

Thanks for your reply and valuable advice. I greatly appreciate all the information and advice the others have provided me too.

I was really hoping (as a newbie) that I'd be able to do at least a few day trips in October when the other tracks seasonally reopen (when they're dryer) to get a taste of what four wheel driving was really like before having to buy new tyres?

-I'll definitley look to go shpoing and get points 1-3 asap though.

...now, I think I'm going to need to find the seeds to grow that money tree asap!

Cheers

Jas

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

() wrote:

What tree? I cut down all the trees with my budget conscious Mitre10 Rockwell chain saw for testing :) btw the chainsaw is cheap but performs well once it's started ,  used regularly and maintained properly. 

just to le......

Thanks Steve!

Cheers

Jas

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
24 Aug 2016

If you use Facebook, I suggest you join "Nissan Navara Melbourne" group and 4x4 buy swap sell group.

Sometimes they have items for sale and I see a couple ads selling decent offroad tyres with ok thread for a couple hundred bucks which might help get you started if you want. I feel like all the trips I been on, good tyres saved me from trouble. As easy as a track can be, there's always challenging sections and mud here and there... Road tyres won't get you too far and aren't any good to lower pressure around 20psi like most trips will require.. And if it decides to rain, track conditions go from "I can do this in 2 wheel drive" to wheels spinning all over the place.

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
24 Aug 2016

If you use Facebook, I suggest you join "Nissan Navara Melbourne" group and 4x4 buy swap sell group.

Sometimes they have items for sale and I see a couple ads selling decent offroad tyres with ok thread for a couple hundred bucks which ......

Thanks, I'll have a think about it over the next while and also take a look.

Leanne
Leanne (Highflyer78)
25 Aug 2016

Hi Leanne

Thanks for the perfect example - I'm sold. Will look around to see what the budget allows.

Cheers

Jas

No worries I think gme radio was about $280, it came with a external magmount unit. Good brand, my dads had it for over 10 years. 

there are cheaper ones out there, but I am not sure how they fair. Good luck Jas

Previous   1 2 3 4   Next