Newbie questions

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3 4   Next
Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

Gidday all

I've just signed up tonight and had a few questions:

I have a D40 Navara which is pretty much standard (apart from a 2" lift kit I installed 2 weekends ago) and are looking to do some day drives in easy/medium tracks near Melbourne.

- Are there many tracks near Melbourne (within say up to 2 hours drive away) and how often are drives organised by members of which I could join in on?

- When looking at the 'easy/medium' trips, I see that CB radios are usually required as a minimum. Before going out to buy one, I thought I'd check if to see if its mandatory when 'easy/medium' tracks are driven on and it is 'required'?

Any other information you could give a new member like me to prepare for easy/medium tracks, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for your answers

Jas

Hi Jas,

Welcome to the group. It helps if you've got a uhf, just incase the group your with with gets separated. It's also good so you can hear the trip leader giving directions or even a bit of a history lesson if they know the area.

Now your a member,trips will be emailed to you. There are heaps of tracks near Melbourne. When the tracks are reopened there should be heaps of trips posted.

Andrew
Andrew (my truck)
23 Aug 2016

Hey bud I v got a 5 watt 2 way in my truck but I also carry a couple of hand held 2ways for other people who don't have a 2way in there truck. There cheap and they work well or u could buy a small 2wat between & 220 to $ 450 there's plenty on the Internet and the general senses is gme radios are pritty good. I v got a oricom it does pritty good for me and my trips. 

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

Hi Jas,

Welcome to the group. It helps if you've got a uhf, just incase the group your with with gets separated. It's also good so you can hear the trip leader giving directions or even a bit of a history lesson if they know the area.

Thanks Barry  -And thanks for some great points you make. I'll get one soon.

Cheers

Jason

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

Hey bud I v got a 5 watt 2 way in my truck but I also carry a couple of hand held 2ways for other people who don't have a 2way in there truck. There cheap and they work well or u could buy a small 2wat between & 220 to $ 450 there's......

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply - I have had a look on the internet and seen the Oricom ones there. Great prices too for the 5 Watt, 80 Channel ones . Eg. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORICOM-UHF300-UHF-MICRO-5-WATT-80CH-CB-RADIO-6-5DBi-FGLASS-ANTENNA-PACK-Z-MOUNT-/161233443278?hash=item258a4319ce:g:isMAAMXQEgpTCxF~

I'll look to get one soon.

Thanks for your help mate.

Cheers

Jason

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

Now your a member,trips will be emailed to you. There are heaps of tracks near Melbourne. When the tracks are reopened there should be heaps of trips posted.

Thats brilliant, thanks again Barry.

I presume the tracks reopen in Spring (or soon after) when the weather improves?

Cant wait till they do so I can finally take my ute out for some day trips through some easy 4X4 tracks.

Cheers

Jason

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
23 Aug 2016

Thats brilliant, thanks again Barry.

I presume the tracks reopen in Spring (or soon after) when the weather improves?

Cant wait till they do so I can finally take my ute out for some day trips through some easy 4X4 tracks.

Cheers

Jason

Welcome to 4WDTRIP mate! .... Seasonal Closure will finish on 31 Oct. Most of the seasonal closed tracks will be opened after that. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
23 Aug 2016

For trips I would suggest you get at least a handheld uhf. Recovery gear is usually also required, at least minimum snatch straps etc and if you don't have a winch, make sure your d40 has rated recovery points.

Lots of tracks around Melbourne, most trips are in high country though which is probably 3 hrs away depending where you live.

I got a d22 and up until 2 weeks ago I had stock suspension (got a 2 inch lift now) and had good times in medium trips so your d40 should be great fun.

Welcome and enjoy!

Also great to see other nav owners on here! 

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

Welcome to 4WDTRIP mate! .... Seasonal Closure will finish on 31 Oct. Most of the seasonal closed tracks will be opened after that. 

Excellent!

Thanks mate.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply - I have had a look on the internet and seen the Oricom ones there. Great prices too for the 5 Watt, 80 Channel ones . Eg. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORICOM-UHF300-UHF-MICRO-5-WATT-80CH-CB-RADIO-6......

Jas, check out Supercheap Autos,Repco & Autobarn for specials on uhfs. Ive got an Oricom. Does me ok. Sometimes they have uhf and arial for $179. What area are you from?

()
23 Aug 2016

Welcome Jas, like Thurstain said, rated recovery points front and rear are required, as they provide a safe solid point for others to pull you out of a situation.

A few of us often run trips to Tallarook state forest, that has some nice easy/med tracks and you can camp there as well if you like.

You'll find many drivers have one or two handhelds plus their vehicle mounted UHF, so you can almost always be able to borrow one.

Have you got all terrains or road tyres?

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

For trips I would suggest you get at least a handheld uhf. Recovery gear is usually also required, at least minimum snatch straps etc and if you don't have a winch, make sure your d40 has rated recovery points.

Lots of trac......

Hi Thurstain

Thanks for your welcome and reply mate.

-When you say snatch straps - do I get these from the likes of Super Cheap Auto or online (eg: ebay)?

-I dont have a winch. Will I need to buy those 'L' Shape recovery plates (Which I think I've seen online) or are the factory recovery points/hooks satisfactory?

Thanks

Jas

Gray jas a uhf is a basic given  it makes life a lot easier in the bush   Plenty of tracks close to Melb  around Bacchus marsh king lake tools hi to Merrimack in the south east 

cheers simon

Jas
Jas (Navara_STX)
23 Aug 2016

() wrote:

Welcome Jas, like Thurstain said, rated recovery points front and rear are required, as they provide a safe solid point for others to pull you out of a situation.

A few of us often run trips to Tallarook state forest, that has s......

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply and the information - much appreciated.

I've just asked Thurstain about recovery points as I'm not too sure about what is rated (The factory tow hooks?) or not.

I've seen the plates online and assume they are the ones which are installed where the factory tow hooks are attached? eg. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RECOVERY-TOW-POINTS-NISSAN-NAVARA-D40-WINCH-OR-SNATCH-4WD-RECOVERY-4X4-/302042722466?hash=item46532630a2:g:KxgAAOSw6n5XsRqq

Thanks mate

Jason

1 2 3 4   Next