1 Year of 4 wheeling

Forum > General Discussion

()
19 Aug 2016

Well bugger me, it's been a year since I first started 4 wheeling (properly) I couldn't find a trip I liked so enlisted Allanmac to help me run one I wanted to do.

What a great fellow Allan is, in the year following I have been on numerous trips, Wonangatta lead by Antony, Billy goats which I arranged, but Garry did most of the leading and another Wonangatta which I ran, and a number of day trips, so it's been an adventure filled year!

Thanks to Kelvin for bringing us all together, I never would have met these great blokes otherwise.

Here is the trip report from the first trip. (about 1 year ago)

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=3228&forumid=9

So keep in mind everyone, you don't need to be a great 4 wheeler to arrange a trip, you do however need to team up with competent people that are willing to help, and there are plenty of them here , you just need to ask for help in the trip ideas section.yes .

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
19 Aug 2016

That's a fantastic post! Thanks for mentioning me :) Yes I came up with this site idea long time back but never got a motivation to do it. I guess it's like everything, it's always hard to take your first step. Do you remember your first 4wd experience? I did. I am hoping if you are reading this post, please step forward to help run trip, and give back to the community. It's not hard to run trip. You won't get punished if you make a wrong turn. People who join your trip will undertand. We are all volunteers spending our time to plan and lead so many trips so others can have great time. I am so glad that many of you have made some good friends, some may become your lifelong friends. I have also met so many great Aussies, visited so many beautiful places in Australia. 

This is just our beginning, this site will be around for a long time and I am in it for a long haul. 

I hope you can all support the site, help spread the word, and most important, post a trip even just a BBQ gathering :) 

Have a great weekend everyone. 

Kelvin

That's a fantastic post! Thanks for mentioning me :) Yes I came up with this site idea long time back but never got a motivation to do it. I guess it's like everything, it's always hard to take your first step. Do you remember your ......

I am heading off next month on my third trip with this group, who'd think you could go bush with a group of strangers and be happy, safe and make a few friends along the way, great stuff guys

()
20 Aug 2016

Yes, Kelvin, you can give yourself a big pat on the back mate, this site promotes trips as it's core reason and makes it easy as hell to arrange and manage a trip.

yesyesyes

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
21 Aug 2016

Agree that this is a great site, I have met some great people over the years on 4wding trips from here and other forums, some have become life long friends.

Years ago when I first met Kelvin he asked if I would be interested in such a forum he was thinking about starting, yes absolutely was my response so gave him our email address, didn't hear or see anything for a few years then out of the blue was sent a link to the new site.

Had a look and thought what a great platform and joined straight away and hoped it would survive and grow to its full potential, here we are a couple of years down the track and what a great site and still growing.

All we need to do is keep up the trips and it will continue to grow and eventually it will be an Australia wide forum with heaps of trips all over the country. Cant wait till we can have a look and join trips and jump from state to state exploring this fantastic country and meeting fellow members along the journey

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
21 Aug 2016

Yes Ime another that thinks this is a great site.

i don't get out anywhere near enough and have only been on 4 or 5 trips with 4wdtrip, but the concept is just great. I've been involved in clubs before and they are not for me and can be very cliquey ( is that spelt right) . 

But here it's just "here's a trip" and go if you want

A few friends think it's a bit strange to meet up with people on line for a trip but I've enjoyed meeting with everyone , havnt meet anyone to strange yet

Big thanks to all involved in 4wdtrip. In a way I hope it doesn't become huge because I like the small group feeling it has now but I can understand all that want it to grow

Pauly
Pauly (Dagy)
21 Aug 2016

Yes I agree, thank you to all involved. I have been on some great trips through this site and made some good friends. Well done to all involved and a big thank you.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
21 Aug 2016

Yep I Agree too this is a awsome site!I was lucky enough to be on that trip as my first trip too and what a great intro it was! Allanmac and the other experience 4 wheelers gave us beginners great advise and confidence since then I have been on many great trips and lead a couple of my own and have met many great people. it's good to see lots people organising trips and all the reports and photos are awsome... well done Kelvin and all the members for leading trips and contributing to the forum.  

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
21 Aug 2016

12 months Mark, time flies doesnt. Have been on 4 or 5 trips with you in that time and have enjoyed each one. In that short time you have gone from a complete novice to a 4wder who loves exploring new areas and not afraid to challenge yourself and vehicle, but within boundaries so that you do not damage your vehicle. As a trip leader, you 'cross all the  I & T's' to ensure all those taking part have a enjoyable time. I will go as far as to say you are probably the most active member on this forum; you run trips, are very active in the forum section and last but not least, are one of the few who are prepared to take the time to post a detailed report of your trips in the 'Trip Reports & Experiences' section for the benefit of all members.

Look forward to catching up on our next HC trip, if not earlier.

()
21 Aug 2016

Well Allan, I never would have progressed passed beginner if it wasn't for fellas like you mate. Garry, Alex Dylan, Jim were a big help on that first trip.

Garry and Alex, along with yourself have come along on a few more trips since.

I and others have learned many valuable things in that time since, so the site really only works with the help of fellas like you.

There are many here that run trips, but it's the few that take the time to pass on valuable lessons to the newcomers that make the difference.

20 hard core trips are great, but only experienced guys with well set up vehicles can go on them.

Newcomer trips are a bit less frequent,  unfortunately, there are just not enough Allan's to go around.

Myself, big Kev, Andrew have since run a few easy med trips, thanks to the help we have all gained from this site.

The Wonangatta trip Antony took us on was a real game changer for me, I really didn't know how hard I could push the ranger or where it was capable of going, that trip gave me a lot of confidence.

So thanks to the most prolific poster of trips Antony for that one.

After that trip I ran the Billy Goats trip, the conditions were bloody wet as hell and I ended up having Gary do most of the leading, that's great being able to fall back on blokes like Garry, if he wasn't there on that trip I'm sure it would have been a hell of a lot harder, thanks Gazz.

Anyway to sum it up, it takes all types for this place to be what it is, and it seems to be a great place, and welcoming for one and all.