Oodnadatta Track & Dalhousie Springs.

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Previous   1 2
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
19 Oct 2014

we would be keen, IMO september would be better, less likely to get 40 temps...

how long would it be away and how far between fuel would be the main questions... dam V8 landy drinks like a fish...

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
20 Oct 2014

Matt I haven't sat down and planned it all out as yet but a quick google search says that from Melb to Dalhousie Springs is 2000 kms. I also know that the Oodnadatta Track is 620 kms. I know there is fuel at the start of the track and at the end but what's in between I'll need to check out. How many kms do you get out of ya Landy Matt? With regards to 'Time on Route' I would be tipping about 10 days. Thinking that if it's 2000kms one way we can brake it down to 500kms per day (leaving plenty of time to stop and sight see plus not having to get up at stupid o'clock before the suns up and drive a million mile in a day), one day checking out  Dalhousie Springs, 4 days return and one day up our sleeves.

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
20 Oct 2014

Oh and yes I like September too.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
20 Oct 2014

It dependes on the availabillity of LPG, not good out there I would imagine, but 650 is ok if I staart with a full tank of gas, a few gerrey cans and I would be fine, might be time to add the under body fuel and water tanks that I have had in the shed for 3 years.... 55l in each

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
20 Oct 2014

I stayed away from LPG for that reason, just to damm hard to get anywhere except Vic. I have long range tanks on my 80 and can go 1400km between fill-up which is good for the really big trip I wanna do in the next few years.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Oct 2014

Just a bit of a 'heads up' on fuel etc on the Oodnadatta Tk, especially for those on 'duel fuel'.  Last place for LPG is at the Mobil at Leigh Creek, (not on main hwy, but near the shopping centre). From there, there are 3 fuel stops along the way to Dalhousie Springs.

1. Marree - (120 klms from Leigh Creek)

Has Unleaded & diesel & pretty expensive; we paid close to $2.30 per litre for ULP.

2. William Creek Hotel - (210 klms from Marree)

Again, has diesel & unleaded only; was $2.50 a litre when we were there.

3. The Pink Roadhouse Oodnadatta - (205 klms from William Creek)

Diesel & unleaded only.

The above are aprox distances staying on the main track & does not take into account any side trips along the way.

From the Pink Roadhouse, it is aprox 170klms to Dalhousie, depending which way you go & what you want to see along the way.

We went up the Oodnadatta a few years ago in July & had nice warm days, but freezing nights. It will be a bit warmer both day & night in September & possibly not quite as busy, as June/July/August seem to be the most popular time to head up there.

PS: From Melbourne, you are looking at close to 2000kays to get to Dalhousie & I suspect there will be some sections, especially from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie, where you may only be travelling no faster than 40 kph, so take that into consideration when planning the trip.

Cheers

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
20 Oct 2014

Good info Allan, cheers for that.

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
20 Oct 2014

Ok there seems to be enough intrest in this trip so I've made it official and have posted it up in '4WD TRIPS'.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
20 Oct 2014

thanx for the info Allan, as always a wealth of information!!!

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
21 Oct 2014

thanx for the info Allan, as always a wealth of information!!!

No probs Matt, am sure you & Liza will enjoy the trip. (BTW great to hear Liza is ok after the op....smiley)

Not sure if it is still the case now, but they did ban campfires at Dalhousie which is a real 'bummer' if this rule is still in force.

can we take our little dogs are pets allowed on this trip

regards sneekeewun

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
22 Oct 2014

Geez it sure about that one mate, I'll have to look into it. If it's National Park then I'm sure it's 'No pets allowed'.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
23 Oct 2014

can we take our little dogs are pets allowed on this trip

regards sneekeewun

Dalhousie is in a National Park, so no dogs/pets allowed.

Previous   1 2