4x4 app maps

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an app for mapping my trips when I head out 4wd. 

Just wondering what everyone would recommend? 

Ive found one called memory map, has anyone used it? Is it any good?

John
John (Disco_Johnsy)
11 Aug 2016

Hi,

I use memory map on a tablet I bought form Office Works for $60. It's good but costs the same as the HEMA and Mud Map version. I think they are all horses for courses but you can get an ad on from HEMA that has fishing spots, camp grounds etc. for an extra $30 of course. Memory Map has served me well. You can download a free topo that does not have good contour info and many of the tracks are unnamed. The $99 version has good topo detail and most of the tracks are named.

Cheers. John.

I use HEMA maps on an iPad. Haven't used any others but a mate who uses MudMaps said HEMA was better after using mine because he couldn't plan a route and save it on his

Rob
Rob (Robmacca)
11 Aug 2016

There is various Apps around, some for Andriod and some for Apple. Motion-X is a Apple only App, it's cheap to buy but the downside is u need to upload the map area where u are going so if u lose WiFi Signal, u can still view the maps.... Some like it some don't

Brian
Brian (Hitman)
11 Aug 2016

Hema  maps is probably the go - I use a Hema HN7 ...never lets me down ... I also have Hema maps on the iPad but never use it.....

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
11 Aug 2016

I run OziExplorer on a Surface with a plug in external aerial. This gives me full satellite signal anywhere. I have a full set of Rooftop maps on it and can also run Hema amongst a heap of others. 

Tony (TATravels)
11 Aug 2016

We have used Hema on a GPS iPad. It has been invaluable. Aldo worth a look is their newish product, Hema Explorer which has integrated maps and claims much higher resolution than the one we ha be used.

Positives we have found are that the maps are good quality, we always know where we are with the GPS location, we can find likely camp spots in the middle of nowhere and we have maps for the whole country with us always, no matter the Internet coverage. We can also track our trip when we want to. 

We also have it on our iPhones and can use the tracking function when we go for walks, especially if poor tracks and we need to retrace our steps.

Tony (TATravels)
11 Aug 2016

We have used Hema on a GPS iPad. It has been invaluable. Aldo worth a look is their newish product, Hema Explorer which has integrated maps and claims much higher resolution than the one we ha be used.

Positives we have found are that the maps are good quality, we always know where we are with the GPS location, we can find likely camp spots in the middle of nowhere and we have maps for the whole country with us always, no matter the Internet coverage. We can also track our trip when we want to. 

We also have it on our iPhones and can use the tracking function when we go for walks, especially if poor tracks and we need to retrace our steps.

David (DSPIES)
11 Aug 2016

Mate I use memory map (MM) and used to use ozi explorer.

MM is great but I don't know many people that use it. I can and do run all the hema maps but more importantly with a small upgrade to the app I'm now able to scan any paper maps and use them as well.

I love rooftop maps and swear by them so for example I can now click seamlessly between hema, rooftop or other maps as I please.
It helps to be a little bit computer savy to set it up but there are plenty of helpful threads on the net.

Ozi wasn't t as user friendly on the Android even though it wasn't bad at home by the trip on the computer. MM seems to have both a easy android app and a good desktop program for when I'm planning trips.

I have a hema HN7 and have no idea of how to use it so I'm thinking of selling it

Harry (Hazza)
11 Aug 2016

I use MotionX 

()
11 Aug 2016

I use hema hn7 with 150k maps its a great bit of kit

Hi. I didn't want to pay for maps but i couldn't find good free maps till a few months ago. I use to use memory maps but now use androzic on an android device. After a year of searching i found pretty good free topo maps. They are .ozf2 and .map files. The zip file was called vic.4x4 maps.zip it contains 818 map files and it 1.62gb. When you zoom in close there are parts of the map with the msg. C 2006 josh@festy.org derived from data provided by the Department of Sustainabilityand Environment Victoria. Hope this help you to find them.
I would upload the zip file but it's too big for my phone data. If you pm me your email I'll try get them to you from work via email or drop box it for you.

I have a hema HN7 and have no idea of how to use it so I'm thinking of selling it

How much are you thinking of selling it for?

Dave
Dave (disco)
12 Aug 2016

Hey, I use Hema on iPad, always works and is pretty good. It runs soley on GPS so you dont need to pay for internet. My iPad is setup to use GPS or WIFI only. 

1 2   Next