31 Jul 2016

On the 4wdsa.asn.au site it closes from 1st November to 31st March every year

John
John (Disco_Johnsy)
01 Aug 2016

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 Aug 2016

Rightio, According to my well informed work colleagues the GF is set for Sept 30, so it would be Sept 30/Oct1/Oct 2.

That's before the seasonal fire period November 1 / April 30 to be confirmed.  Thanks to the diligent researchers :-)

I see an entry/camping permit is required for the Ngarkat Conservation park it's not clear if traversing the border track means you need a permit but I'm all for better to get one than not. Looks like plenty of places it can be purchased from.

Should we firm it up for 3 days then ??????  I'd love to do it seen great video footage and us petrol powered turkeys should be in for a hoot.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Aug 2016

Alex, you will enjoy. I guess you are going to head up on the Friday and return home on the Sunday. and if this is correct, a suggestion or two if I may. 1stly, there is a cost to drive the Border Track, that being $10 per vehicle to enter the park plus $12 to camp overnight. There is a self registration area as you enter the park and make sure you have the correct money.

It is a 6.5 hr drive from Melbourne to Pinaroo, (fuel/supermarket etc available). Remember not to take fresh fruit/vegies as they will be taken off you at the quarantine station on the border of vic/sa. On the Friday night I would consider staying at Pine Hut Soak. This campground is just inside the national park and is a largish area that has pit toilets etc. On the Saturday you could complete the whole track but it would be a big day so I would suggest stopping at Red Bluff campground on the Sat night as by doing this it will allow time to check out some of the sights along the track. On the Sunday it will take you maybe 3 odd hours to get back to the bitumen after driving through the 'boghole' section of the track. I suspect most of them will be full of water/mud if the wet weather continues for another month or so. From there, make you way to Kaniva then head home. I do have a video of our Border Track trip from last year if you are interested.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
01 Aug 2016

Looks like it's going to be a 4wdtrip.com assault on the border track. I have a trip that will be just leaving that area a day or two before you get there. Happy to give you a heads up on track condition if you like.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 Aug 2016

Thanks Allan, Dave, yep any and all advice welcome, I can be told despite claims to the contrary.  Never done this area so tips welcomed.

I reckon head off Thursday night after work would be the go, knock off an hour or three of the haul so Friday we're bright eyed and bushy-tailed.  well, those of us with petrols anyway.  Troll.........   I love listening to the sound of fuel gurgling through the lines. When you have a petrol you always have money in the wallet :-)

See what the interested peoples opinion is for a day of so on a a Thursday night after work drive so a relaxing 2-3 days after that ?  .Maybe cover 3-400 kays and get it done?  Thoughts ?

Thanks Allan, Dave, yep any and all advice welcome, I can be told despite claims to the contrary.  Never done this area so tips welcomed.

I reckon head off Thursday night after work would be the go, knock off an hour or three of......

Drive a couple of hours after work on Thursday sounds good to me Friday would be a public holiday so might have a bit of traffic around so even if we hit traffic Thursday at least we would have a few hours head start Friday from other melbournites heading away 

()
01 Aug 2016

Hi if we got on the trip, we would leave Thursday and drive to pinnaroo and camp there somewhere. 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 Aug 2016

Gathering momentum then for a Thursday PM hit off , I've got a few feelers out I think one or two more 'yes' and it sounds like a plan.

()
01 Aug 2016

For anyone interested,on google it's 566ks from the city to pinnaroo, and Bordertown to city 458ks.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 Aug 2016

Either one sounds like 100 litres, lol

Either one sounds like 100 litres, lol

Maybe I do long range tank before then or do I do front diff locker options options

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 Aug 2016

Maybe I do long range tank before then or do I do front diff locker options options

I use my long range tank all the time.  Fill up at $1.00 and bypass as many $1.35's as I can until it comes down again. 

Front locker, hmm, maybe 3 times a year........ And that's more because it's there than have to.    I don't think range would be an issue on this one anyway.  Fill when you can at the towns and smile.

I use my long range tank all the time.  Fill up at $1.00 and bypass as many $1.35's as I can until it comes down again. 

Front locker, hmm, maybe 3 times a year........ And that's more because it's there than ha......

Normally get 500-700 kms out of tank depending on gear I'm carrying  so should be ok and always have a Jerry can in back

Previous   1 2 3   Next