Mt. Matlock Snow Trip

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
25 Jul 2016

What a great day out that was.  Started off from Big River and climbed our was up to Mt Matlock, with sleet beginning to fall around the 8-900 metre mark.  By th time we got to the top of Cornhill track there was a couple of inches on the ground and light fluffy snow falling so with lots of excess RPMS we all slitherted up to the fire tower from the northern side.    Gotta admit, finding that jelly shot on the side of the track by the advance party was a nice find, shame there we'rent a few more....

Special mention to Garry and Dev doing the hero section too, I'll try to post the video which is a good example of understeer and gravity winning!

No mind, after a cold stop for lunch in the snow we headed down to Wood Point via Phesant Creek and Dearlove tracks to the river where we had a bit of a play.  I watched the river come up over the bonnet (with no snorkel on my truck) and slap the base of the windscreen so knew it would make for some good photos.  Pauly rolled a tyre off the bead and Dev lost his front numberplate - you can see it leaping out of the water in one on the pics but we all made it to the other side albeit with a little bit of bullbar damage after one of the trucks just missed the exit point due to the strong current and must have clipped the bank under water.  Damn shame as it was right at the end of the day.

Anyway, lots of pics posted in the trip section, if anyone wants a particular pic just send me a PM with your email address and hope all enjoyed the day out see you on the tracks !

()
25 Jul 2016

Thanks Alex for another awesome trip ,great fun, thanks Ian doing tec duties 👍.And thanks everyone on the trip, a great group of people. Let me know Alex if you want that photo of your truck in the snow, unfortunately none of you going though the river. cheers gaz

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
25 Jul 2016

() wrote:

Thanks Alex for another awesome trip ,great fun, thanks Ian doing tec duties 👍.And thanks everyone on the trip, a great group of people. Let me know Alex if you want that photo of your truck in the snow, unfortunately none of you going though the river. cheers gaz

Garry, if you could e-mail to awmcallister@gmail that would be great. I copied the one off the site you posted but the res is waaaay down.

Yeah, I would've like to get a pic going through the river but not if it meant going back and doing it again..........   Once was enough I reckon Niagra falls would've been going down my bonnet scoop lol.  Could have sucked a few fish in.

Glad Julie could make it nice to see her back in the swing of things.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jul 2016

Good report Alex and really like the pic Gazza took of your vehicle in the snow. Shame about the bit of damage to Gazza's truck...sad

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
28 Jul 2016

Great report and pics Alex good to see you had a good trip thanks for sharing