Where do you want to go???

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2 3 4 5   Next
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 Jul 2016

There has been some recent discussion about the number of trips verse the number of people who want to attend...

Sooooo there is only one way to fix the issue....

I am going to start leading more trips, day and weekender, I would not consider myself an expert at 4wding or leading trips but have some experiance at both, I have been to most areas in Vic and done nearly all the iconic tracks.

The question is Where Do People Want To Go , What areas and What grade of trip???

Start putting up suggestions and that way we can have more trips to areas that the majority want to visit.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
07 Jul 2016

Well Matt, hopefully you get more than a few replies..wink. (PS. another way to help fix the issue but wont go into that now....frown)

For me personally; NOWHERE at the moment. Hate this crap weather and no interest in playing in mud or freezing my nuts off camping. But when the weather improves and the tracks reopen, like you, will start running trips again. For me my list is as follows;

DAYTRIPS. (always a Saturday).

Toolangi & Tallarook.

Both close to Melbourne for most and have a variety of tracks ranging from easy to hard that suit the majority of 4wders.

WEEKENDERS.

Walhalla or Jamieson areas.

Again, both have huge variety of tracks with varying degees of difficulties and some great campsites that are easily accessible by camper trailers and caravans. Plan to put the Pyreness on the list for a weekender as well for the same reasons.

LONGER WEEKENDERS. (4 days or more)

Vic High Country (of course) & Border Tk/Murray Sunset area.

IMO, need at least 4 days to really make these trips worthwhile.

7 DAYS OR MORE.

Robe/Beachport (7 days)

Tassie (14 days +)

Fraser Island (21 days +)

Central Australia (28 days +)

Kimberley (56 days +)

Anyway just a few of my thoughts.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 Jul 2016

Well iy you wore long pants more often you wouldn't freeze ya nuts off you crazy bastedsurprise

Am thinking a Tassie adventure might be our next big one

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
07 Jul 2016

Hi Matthew, good post!! Done many trips now mostly high country, Great Alpine National etc  but  like yourself hoping to get into leading some trips in the near future for this site . Im keen on areas far East to NSW coast and North of Gippsland into NSW and will join any trip posted here in those areas (time permitting of course!!)  I just finished leading a trip snaking its way from Bairnsdale to Mount Hotham (3 days)covering all the popular tracks and some not so with another group but hope to explore more the far east and north east areas to gain more local knowledge and  experienced into trip leading in that patch. Problem with that is the distance for the city brethren as it’s a 3 hr plus trip just to begin.!! The advantage is its less popular and some less explored and awesome country many havent seen.  Off to Moscow Villa from the Buchan end next week with a another but declined posting here as we will do a bit of deer hunting on the way (if the snow isn’t too bad) . To answer your question (as I drifted off a bit) is I’m interested in more mid week trips due to my style of work as probably there are many members on this site similar  being workers in the Emergency Services field (shift workers, fireries ,DELWP, police and ambos etc). Ill also be aiming at that group when Im up and running with the intention of leading trips east around mid spring time I hope.   Let me know if you are up this way. Cheers Hoddz

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
07 Jul 2016

Awesome Matt! ..Thank for taking the first step. A lot of members will see you as a great example and start leading their trip. 

Remember, we don't need an expert to lead a trip. A lot of time it comes down to common sense. It's not a rocket science. Like anything, once you have taken the first step, it would only get easier and easier and you will be more comfortable leading trips. 

Since all our trip leaders are volunteers, they are giving back to the community. For those who joined the trip, they should not demand this demand that....... if they want how trips to be run their way, GOOD, they can start leading trip and make their own rule.

Anyway, to cut it short, thank you so much for taking first step and start leading trip. It's very much appreciated :) 

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
07 Jul 2016

The question is Where Do People Want To Go , What areas and What grade of trip???

It's always good to go somewhere different, there is more to Vic than the high country, and I enjoy it dont get me wrong and i doubt I will ever tire of it, however sometimes I look here and it appears to be a high country based forum. The Wodonga area trip w/end several months ago was great, somewhere different to where we'd all been before, every turn was new.

I did an event around castlemaine recently, not hard tracks but scenic route's down old tracks past disused mines, was awesome, just no time to stop and look so i will go back and explore.

The west side of the state has a lot to offer, maybe not as hilly or muddy as the east but lots of exploring to be done. Doesn't need to be hard 4wdring to have an enjoyable day or weekend, exploring is half the fun.

Im doing the simmo in 3 weeks so occupied with that, but after Ive got a couple of different area's in mind

cheers.

Liam
Liam (BeardMoto)
07 Jul 2016

I'm completely new to wheeling and had a total of 1 day out actually driving (Neerim last Sunday). 

Personally, I'm keen to attend as many relatively close to Melb day trips as possible that would be both suitable for myself as a beginner, and my car which is a 85 MQ shorty, with 31's, Runva 9500lb, and recovery gear but stock suspension :sadface:

hoping to meet up with some people and get out there to get dirty!

liam. 

Anthony (fossil)
07 Jul 2016

A favourite place of mine is up around Walhalla. I have been a few times and each time it has been extremely challenging starting off easy but becoming extreme very quickly. Iwould definately like to go back. 

Dan
Dan (Disco_Dan)
07 Jul 2016

Well Matt, hopefully you get more than a few replies..wink. (PS. another way to help fix the issue but wont go into ......

Hell yeah! I'll second a trip to Tassie! I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the Frasier Island trip in November. I'll have to do up a vehicle that is capable of doing trips like that. I'm working on it though.

Day or weekend trips would be great I've only done a couple of trips before up to high country but want to get out more not only back to high country but also to places not yet been such as Grampians ot ways and any other suggestions but also be good to meet new people

That is a great idea! I would be happy to lead trips also but coming up with good tracks to make it interesting for the rest of the group is hard to think of.  I will keep a look out for your ideas and happy to post a trip according to everybodies ideas.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 Jul 2016

Have been looking at the maps and having a good think about possible trips, at this stage I think the high country is out, too many tracks closed and the rivers will be super high and flowing fast so not interested in drowning cars, so thinking starting around Toolangi and heading over toward Marysville, tracks like blowhard and airoplane are closed but the rock based ones are open. Might end up a easy day with a couple of hard tracks thrown in to keep people on there toes.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming

Hi Alex,

Enjoy your Simmo trip and when you get back...That Castlemaine trip sounds good!!!

see ya, DutchDuo

Jack &Mien

Hi Matthew, good post!! Done many trips now mostly high country, Great Alpine National etc  but  like yourself hoping to get into leading some trips in the near future for this site . Im keen on areas far East to NSW coast and North o......

I agree, a few mid week trips would be fantastic. Also what about some more trip leaders classes.   I've happily run "private" trips for my mates, but I'm a bit unsure about what's expected when you are leading a trip for people you've never met before. 

Well I've organised a trip out Tuesday night.
If I get a few rock up, I'll probably be more keen to run others.
If people are keen I'm happy to organise navigation runs or make up a circuit.

I live in romsey so wombat, cobaw and even Toolangi I kniw pretty well.
I've been to most places in Victoria, done Portland sand dunes, Vic high country numerous times in all weathers.

I'm happy to run longer trips over weekends and such.
However I'm the type that goes the distance to see things, not bush bash.
So when I go I like to take the time out to visit mines, waterfalls, iconic attractions and such.

1 2 3 4 5   Next