What 4WD Map App do you suggest for iPad.

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2 3   Next

I've got MM3 and Hema on my iPad. I use MM3 most of the time, but for planning trips if find Hema easier.   Just a personal thing, but for me it's intuitive to use, the way a good app should be. 

Jase (Grenade)
28 Jun 2016

So I just want to say that I met several awesome people on the weekend at Mt Dissa & I can't believe the advice & knowledge everyone is giving me. Thank you all so much, this is why I love 4wding so much. I will let you all know what I choose & how it goes but don't let this stop others posting please. 

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
28 Jun 2016

Hi Jase,

some me point form feedback which may or may not be useful.

hema

pros: fancy, good marketing, does not require a tablet (if using their device), 

cons:expensive, does not support 3rd party maps, mapping routes best done via app on iPad, expensive maps

mudmaps

pros: supports 3rd party apps, free maps which are extensive, user friendly

cons: $140 for the app, requires an ipad

oziexplore

pros: extremely advanced mapping, route mapping, free maps, supports 3rd party apps, can be used on tablets and pc

cons: requires skill to use all the features, not fancy, pc required to take advantage of the advanced features such as routing.

I personally use a combination of mud maps and oziexplorer. Mudmaps Used 90% of the time and oziexplorer is used as a backup or when routing is required. I looked at hema before investing in Mudmaps and the 3rd party map support was the deal clencher for me whereas hema force you to stay within their ecosystem and spend more of your hard earned dollars to improve the maps.

i hope that helps.

cheers

Tony (TATravels)
28 Jun 2016

We have used Hema maps on our iPad virtually since it came out. We love it, and use it constantly when around the country. Accurate maps, easy to read, zooms between different maps for the area you are in. Also loaded on my iPhone and can use it when on foot just to check where you are when bushwalking. 

Excellent to know exactly where you are at all times, makes navigation easy as - you can anticipate that corner that is coming up. 

Cannot tell you how many times we have rescued ourselves with this app. When we are on rough or poorly marked tracks or find track deviations, we turn on the tracking function to enable easy track back and also to report any errors to Hema.

it was about $180 when we got the full set of maps and at that price we have found it a great investment. I believe it is about $100 for all the maps now so even better.

Jase (Grenade)
29 Jun 2016

Being a complete tech idiot, obviously I realise third party maps are maps by someone other than the specified company but how do you put them on mud maps 3 etc? Is it just a different map to the ones in the app? Also, I forgot to mention that I do not own a computer at all so everything has to be able to be done via the iPad.

Being a complete tech idiot, obviously I realise third party maps are maps by someone other than the specified company but how do you put them on mud maps 3 etc? Is it just a different map to the ones in the app? Also, I forgot to mention that ......

It's dead easy with your iPad mate.  If you buy MM3, all the maps you will ver need are included in the price.   You just go to their map store, select the ones you want at the scale that is most useful and down load them.  They are then stored on your iPad, so you can use them any time, even in a gully or the middle of the Simmo, where there is no ph coverage.   Don't download too many unwanted maps though as they use up a fair whack of bandwidth getting onto your iPad and obviously eat up a bit of storage on board.   If using an iPad though, you still want one with a SIM card slot, as that model come with a built in GPS.   If you haven't hot one, you can buy an after market GPS that will plug into your iPad, but that's adding another layer of complexity in my opinion. 

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
29 Jun 2016

Being a complete tech idiot, obviously I realise third party maps are maps by someone other than the specified company but how do you put them on mud maps 3 etc? Is it just a different map to the ones in the app? Also, I forgot to mention that ......

As mentioned by Jenkin, the Mudmaps maps can be downloaded from the app. Third party maps such as oziexplorer can be added via iTunes sync to your device.

seeing as you don't have a pc oziexplorer is out of the question which leaves Mudmap or hema. If you don't have an iPad and don't want to invest in one then hema navigator is the simplest option but I personally wouldn't touch them based on the feedback which I have seen over the years. At least an iPad  allows you to use the device for other things whereas hema Nav only does navigation.

hema nav $700?

mudmaps $120-140 + used 3G iPad 2 with 64gb storage $300? + ram mount to hold the ipad $140 = $580

cheers

Jase (Grenade)
29 Jun 2016

Thanks heaps guys, I have a iPad mini 4GX wifi+cellular. I'm going to look at Ram Mounts tomorrow in St Kilda to make sure I can use the iPad to its fullest whilst off road without it falling over. Still undecided on this map thing tho hahaha. It's hurting my head just at the thought of deciding😢 

I don't even have Facebook because it hurts my head so much lol

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
29 Jun 2016

Thanks heaps guys, I have a iPad mini 4GX wifi+cellular. I'm going to look at Ram Mounts tomorrow in St Kilda to make sure I can use the iPad to its fullest whilst off road without it falling over. Still undecided on this map thing tho haha......

Hi Jase,

thats where I bought my ram mount from. Very helpful at that store. I got the seat mount unit however it has its cons, being in direct line of the passenger airbag if it was to deploy (so I don't have the iPad in the mount when driving on the blacktop). 3 suction cup windscreen mount is another option however the cops can fine you for obstructing visibility.  Look at both options and decide.

cheers

Jase (Grenade)
29 Jun 2016

Hi Jase,

thats where I bought my ram mount from. Very helpful at that store. I got the seat mount unit however it has its cons, being in direct line of the passenger airbag if it was to deploy (so I don't have the iPad in the mou......

I want the seat mount as I don't have pass airbag but I've been told on the rough stuff it shakes etc. what's your opinion? 

Shane
Shane (shanegtr)
02 Jul 2016

I use PDF maps on my ipad. Its a free app so thats a bonus. You can add maps from their in app store, I upload the geoscience australia topo maps, which are mostly free as well. Only downside I find is not having one big seamless map - you need to swap to the next map manually when your at the edge, but for the price I paid for it I wont complaincheeky

Jase (Grenade)
03 Jul 2016

Just thought I'd post a quick snap of how I set up the iPad in the rig. The bloke down at Johnny Appleseed was so helpful & let me try out a few different setups before I settled on this combo. Super happy & barely moves. Now to decide which map to get hahaha. 

()
03 Jul 2016

Hi how does mount to the dash? Looks very neat. I use hema explore app $40 ,has tracking ect good maps to cross reference with paper maps

Jase (Grenade)
03 Jul 2016

() wrote:

Hi how does mount to the dash? Looks very neat. I use hema explore app $40 ,has tracking ect good maps to cross reference with paper maps

I used 3 components of the ram mounts range.

()
03 Jul 2016

Thanks for the photo.  good spot to put the tablet. Cheers

Previous   1 2 3   Next