Mt Donna Buang

Forum > General Discussion

()
22 Jun 2016

Hi everyone, someone asked me what Mt Donna Buang is like so I thought others may be interested in info too.

You don't need chains, it's a blacktop rd and vicroads clear it each day around mid morning for 2wd vehicles, but if it hasn't been done by the time you get there, just take it easy and you'll be fine. There is only one food van there and the only thing worth while is the chips, their coffee is terrible. You can hire a toboggan, I think they were really silly like $20 , I just bought one from the hardware store in Warburton, I think it was $40 or so. When it gets a lot of snow they close the rd to the summit and you can toboggan down the main rd, otherwise there are steepish toboggan runs further up the hill. My young fella is 3 so we just go on the road as it's not too scary.

BTW there is no fee at Mt Donna Buang, you just drive up to the carpark, but note it's a Nat park, so no Dogs.

On the other hand Lake mountain is $56 per car and that's just to get past the gate, but they have more stuff.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Jun 2016

Thanks for the info Mark. Are there any toilets facility?..very important for ladies...

()
22 Jun 2016

There are mate, it's at the top, when the rd is closed off it's a couple of hundred metre walk, there are public toilets on the way up as well. I'm pretty sure there are some at the rainforest walk car park area which isn't far before the mountain. I'll confirm that after my next visit.

Here is the Park's info http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/yarra-ranges-national-park/things-to-do/mt-donna-buang-summit

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Jun 2016

() wrote:

There are mate, it's at the top, when the rd is closed off it's a couple of hundred metre walk, there are public toilets on the way up as well. I'm pretty sure there are some at the rainforest walk car park area which isn't far ......

Awesome...thanks Mark

()
25 Jun 2016

OK, there are toilets at the rainforest walk car park and at the top of buang. Very busy today, plenty of snow on the main Rd to toboggan on. Toboggan hire price has changed to $10 now, so not a rip anymore. I suggest getting there well before noon is was very busy then. Pic above is the main rd, just past the upper car park which you can toboggan down slowly for little kids, the steepish runs are further 100m up the hill to the right, keep going another 100metres and there are toilets on the right and a big open area with a really tall tower to the left.

Pic above is the toboggan hire van on the left and food van on right.

Do not buy their coffee unless you want to go to the emergency dept of the hospital. Chips are awesome.

Not much there, but for a short trip you can see snow.

()
29 Jun 2016

() wrote:

OK, there are toilets at the rainforest walk car park and at the top of buang. Very busy today, plenty of snow on th......

Its going to snow on Thursday night Mark  "YEY" so if ive finished repairing my exhaust im going up there (mt Donna )  I like to go at night because you can drive to the summit but having said that there is a gate at the 10km car park now and it would not supprise me if the traffic managment lock it at night so if someone has not winched the gates yet the Healsville way may be the go as they are not allowed to close it now because it is emergancy access road .