Fulton's Creek Track - Walhalla (west-east)

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
17 Jun 2016

For all you Walhalla experts can I please get a bit of an idea of what the full length of Fulton's is like? Planning a trip with some mates and was thinking of using Fulton's to get most of the way across to Macalister Gorge. I have only been as far as One Speck, which is beginner material to that point. We will potentially have one beginner with us.

What's the rest of it like?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Jun 2016

Winston, Fultons Tk is in my top 5 tracks as it has a bit of everything. Agree that the section to One Speck track is not overly difficult but can still keep you on your toes in places. I took a group from here, (some beginners in the group) up there about a year ago and we had to turn around at one of the river crossing as it was deepish, (and cold when I walked it...surprise) plus the exit was going to cause a few issues for the vehicles that didnt have a lift etc.

Past One Speck there are some fairly steep sections with a few ledges etc and over the years some vehicles on our trips have had to use their winches. Am sure some will say it is pretty straightforward, but I prefer to be a little more conservative and would suggest that it is probably not a place to take beginners unless the vehicles have a winch and some sort of lift, not to mention good quality A/T tyres as a minimum. If it is wet; give it a miss. I will try to find some pics from some of my previous trips on the track.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
17 Jun 2016

Winston, Fultons Tk is in my top 5 tracks as it has a bit of everything. Agree that the section to One Speck track is not overly difficult but can still keep you on your toes in places. I took a group from here, (some beginners in the group) up......

I had a feeling it might be a bit dicey. Looking at the topo maps I've got I didn't have a great feeling.

Might take one Speck, S Track, Donnelly Creek, Black Range then Burgoyne instead.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
17 Jun 2016

Winston, I have driven it in my last 3 4wds and at various times of the year and I would say it can be challenging at times but a great drive , I might add that on one occasion my GQ ended up like your profile pic, we put it back on it's wheels and continued, what you don't want is a vehicle that looses traction easily

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
17 Jun 2016

One of the boys has a tj with decent tyres but it can be a little loose. And another driver - if he makes it - it will be his first trip 4wding. I think the other route is a safer option.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
17 Jun 2016

Have you been into burgoines before?

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
17 Jun 2016

Have you been into burgoines before?

Nope. Have heard it can be tough, the rock steps can be a bit nasty from what I know and the river level is important in deciding whether or not to attempt the crossing. 2nd option will be Turpins Flat.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
17 Jun 2016

Would say burgoines is harder than fultons

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
17 Jun 2016

second that love Burgoins

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
19 Jun 2016

I agree with others, Burgoyne track can be hard in some spots.... especially they are rocky and very narrow with big drop (cliff) on one side......... not for faint hearted

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
19 Jun 2016

Just looking at the maps - are the fords and steeps between Dry Gully and Army in the hard category? Just wondering if we could make it to Army Track then head north to Williamsons Spur, McEvoys, Spring Creek, Glenmaggie Creek, Black Range and finally onto Cheynes Bridge into camp?

()
19 Jun 2016

Most off the tracks deep creeks, fultons ect have been graded ,didn't even notice the step at deep creek no 1  it was that smoothed out,that was last month