Newcomer to mapping apps

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
27 May 2016

Hi guys, just stumbled across this little gem the other day. 

App is called PDF Maps and is ios and android available. Teamed up with the Vicmap topo series (available at land.vic.gov.au), covering the entire of Vic in ridiculous detail. Maps are about 9 bucks to buy per sector, georeferenced. App has trip logging. Brilliant for those who want a 1:25000 topo map in digital format. 

A screenshot of the Mt Disa area 

()
27 May 2016

Hey Winston, is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.pdf-maps.com/get-pdf-maps/

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
27 May 2016

() wrote:

Hey Winston, is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.pdf-maps.com/get-pdf-maps/

Yep that's the one.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
27 May 2016

Yep that's the one.

Memory map is a good program imo, can get all the hema map packs and various map detail options to purchase inc the 25k topo of vic or any other state if required, about a hungy bucks for the vic topo, good map.

()
27 May 2016

On my last trip I got some of the tech savvy/equiped fellas to tell me exactly where we were.

I really need to get with the times and get one of these.

It's a bit hard to pick as there are so bloody many, I'd probably just get something for my android phone, I simply don't go out enough to justify buying a tablet just for that.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
27 May 2016

I think you'd be surprised as to how much it would change the way you look at your trips. having a tablet is extremely handy. I have mem map on my phone also but its a bit to small. Being able to plot, measure distance, set waypoints and make notes is very handy indeed.  All the paper hema maps are available from the app, or there's mud map or ozi, but that can be complicated, or androzic for ozi.

Im heading to simmo desert in August and all the paper maps are available on my tablet and its been very handy to plan ahead.

()
29 May 2016

Yeah, I hear you mate, but I'm pretty happy using paper maps.

Like a lot of technology, I probably wouldn't use a tablet to it's potential, all I really want/need is a position on the map to confirm where I think I am.

()
31 May 2016

Hey Alex, if you were to contain your trips to Vic, which map would you buy?

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
01 Jun 2016

Memory Map covers most my needs. It has all the hema maps available, some are free, some you need to buy. You can trial them before you buy.  The detailed 25k topo map is $100 but it is a very useful map, great detail , a lot of old tracks etc. I have used it to do a couple of nav events. The eastern side of the state is more hema, the west is more raster style maps which are used for ozi explorer or the androzic app. I have a second unit running ozi which has places like wombat and cobaw on it. For easy use, Memory Map is the go.

cheers.

()
01 Jun 2016

Thanks for the info Winston and Alex, I think I like the overall package of the memory map the most, getting the whole set of maps in a nice clean bundle appeals too. The PDF maps seem to have different sources and ratios for their maps.