Robe/beachport from melbourne queens bday weekend

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
25 May 2016

Thinking about heading over to robe/beachport to hit the sand for the first time. I've done big desert and border track before but no real beach driving.

I've heard it can be pretty rough over winter with big tides and winds.

Personally I'd rather do a high country trip but my mates are scared of the cold and snow and one has a new stock 120 prado he doesn't want to break 

We will be leaving on friday night and find a spot to camp overnight somewhere half wayish. 

Any advice on must see places, camping, best 4wd areas, fishing etc? 

Is the trip doable friday night - monday night? or best to take the tuesday annual leave?

Cheers

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 May 2016

Not sure I would want to be over there on QBW Daniel; will be bloody cold and windy. Have been there a couple of times and love the place, but we stay at Southend rather than Robe or Beachport. Most of the camping has a cost, so depends how much you want to pay plus as you mentioned, in winter there can be some big tides etc that will possibly restrict beach access. If you do decide to go, take the extra day.

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
25 May 2016

Not sure I would want to be over there on QBW Daniel; will be bloody cold and windy. Have been there a couple of times and love the place, but we stay at Southend rather than Robe or Beachport. Most of the camping has a cost, so depends how muc......

Are the camping areas tucked away from the wind at least? and can you have fires? 

Not sure on where else to go QBW that I havent already done. 

Trips ive done in the last 2 years - toolangi, mt dissapointment, narbethong, big river, strathbogie, dargo, walhalla, licola, lakes entrance to eden, otways, big/little desert and border track

Havent ventured out to grampians, pyrenees or wombat state forest. Reckon they would be a better option? Any other recommendations?

()
26 May 2016

What about Jamieson area, they even have a brewery nearby.

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
26 May 2016

Try further east, snowy river area/start of the murry river. Best place in the state by far

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
26 May 2016

Try further east, snowy river area/start of the murry river. Best place in the state by far

Yeah? Haven't been out that way before. What direction should we travel if doing a 4 day trip? Favourite campsites?

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
26 May 2016

Yeah? Haven't been out that way before. What direction should we travel if doing a 4 day trip? Favourite campsites?

Can start from Orbost, work your way up to Tom groggin via deddick trail, go over mckillops bridge, onto mcfarlaines flat track, cobberas trail, limestone creek and onto Tom groggin, really nice camping, can be a challenging drive in spots depending on vehicle setup and weather. Would recommend getting a rooftop map of the area, shows all the camp grounds and tracks.

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
26 May 2016

Can start from Orbost, work your way up to Tom groggin via deddick trail, go over mckillops bridge, onto mcfarlaines flat track, cobberas trail, limestone creek and onto Tom groggin, really nice camping, can be a challenging drive in spots depe......

Yeah I've got all the rooftop maps scanned onto ozi. I'll check the area out!

Only problem is the bloke with the new 120 prado is bog stock and doesn't even have a snorkel so kind of limits where we can take him. I'm down for anything but this will be more of a touring and tame trip compared to my usual ones. That's why I was thinking robe sand driving would be a good choice for his car before he gets some mods on it

()
26 May 2016

Isnt there some sand driving near Portland somewhere?

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
26 May 2016

() wrote:

Isnt there some sand driving near Portland somewhere?

It's owned by the dune buggy club and you have to pay to get in. Rather just drive the 2 hours extra to robe and hope the weather isn't too bad

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
26 May 2016

Daniel, if you are still keen on going, think about staying at Southend. The caravan park has a section for bush camping just behind the dunes.

http://www.southendcaravanpark.com.au/

I did a report in Trip Reports & Experiences named the Limestone Coast that has pics etc. Beach driving between Southend and Robe is easy so will be fine for you mate in his stock Prado. Here is the link to the report.

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5045&forumid=9

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
27 May 2016

Daniel, if you are still keen on going, think about staying at Southend. The caravan park has a section for bush camping just behind the dunes.

http://www.southendcaravanpark.com.au/

Thanks for that Allan. Those pics look awesome! 

I'll keep an eye on the weather reports and decide closer to the weekend whether we make the treck out there