HTML code glitches all over the place

Forum > Feature Suggestions
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 May 2016

Hi admins,

I think the WYSIWYG editor on the forum should be restricted down. It gives too many HTML options, creating glitches allover the website.

Also in trips I have seen a lot of broken <div> </div> when people quote other people on trips. Also truncated HTML code breaking the whole thing when an IMG is inserted (unable to then access the EDIT button due to broken HTML tags conflicting with the rest of the page).. and also when someone quotes another person, and then edits the comments.. it ends up spitting out the HTML code printed and again.. breaks the conversation.

I think these annoyances should be addressed.. not to mention with a bit of tinkering with a well crafted comment.. can post a security glitch to end users instead of just an annoyance.. since comment HTML code is getting jumbled up with the HTML code of the actual page.

I think this should be limited to using BBCODE (like vBulletin forums use) to insert images etc.. instead of directly allowing users to insert HTML code onto the page.. which is clearly breaking everything.

Not sure if you are using a custom CMS or an off the shelf CMS using what looks like ASP.Net - but these things should be addressed.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
18 May 2016

Dont understand all that 'computer jargon' Thurstain, but bottom line is site is very 'user unfriendly' for most who just have basic knowledge of computers. Whilst we all appreciate the time effort, not to mention the $$$, gone into setting up this site, maybe it is time to ask members to put their hands in their pockets and donate so the admins can upgrade the site to make it more 'user friendly'.

Doesnt have to be a big donation; maybe $5 or $10 from each member, but am sure if more than 80% donated it would make it easier for the owner to upgrade. Wonder HOW MANY would be prepared to do this; maybe 10%?. There are a couple of other forums who ask for donations to keep the site running and upgraded and they seem to get a pretty good response.

()
18 May 2016

Nice idea Allan,regarding site fees, I'd be happy to pay a yearly subscription to use the site.

Sounds like Thurstain knows his stuff, perhaps he might like to donate a bit of time to the site if Kelvin would take it, I know Kelvin is a busy family man like me.

Appreciative trip leaders would/should always reserve spots for those that help the site.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 May 2016

I like the your ideas. Haven't been out on trips yet but so far love the site.. Watched most if the videos you guys post and look like a heap of fun.. And looking forward to the get together this weekend and Dargo trip next weekend.

I do know my stuff, done it for years and am qualified.. Although this Web design stuff is not my career..

Im willing to spend some time helping out the admins if they happy with that.. But of course it depends what technology the website is using to run.. And what back end system they use. I'm proficient in some, not so much in others.

Either way, I'm happy to help..

Who do I give the $10 too? Great idea

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
15 Jun 2016

I would certainly be happy to pay $10 and if we only get 100 out of our 2100 membership thats already $1000 per year.

()
15 Jun 2016

Well the new financial year is about to tick over, how about we start the process then, perhaps contributors could get a star or something next to their name to signify they are a contributor?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jun 2016

I would certainly be happy to pay $10 and if we only get 100 out of our 2100 membership thats already $1000 per year.

Dont think you need to put in $10 Big Al as I understand you already contribute to keep the site going....yes

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
16 Jun 2016

() wrote:

Well the new financial year is about to tick over, how about we start the process then, perhaps contributors could get a star or something next to their name to signify they are a contributor?

Good idea Mark. I think many would be prepared to do this, especially if some of the $$$ were used to make the site easier to use. From what I have read,( and I mentioned elsewhere), some of the main issues relate to posting pics, especially in the 'Trip Reports & Experiences' section;probably the main reason it is not utilised all that often..sad. Also noticed that many of the pics that have been posted in the 'Trip Report' section on a completed trip are not all that flash; some long and thin etc etc and not distinguishable.

Maybe time to ask members what they would like to see changed to make the site more 'user friendly' for those of us who are not all that 'computer savvy'.

()
16 Jun 2016

I don't mind putting in $10 for the site

()
16 Jun 2016

Good idea Mark. I think many would be prepared to do this, especially if some of the $$$ were used to make the site easier to use. From what I have read,( and I mentioned elsewhere), some of the main issues relate to posting pics, especially in......

Yeah, Kelvin did mention that the trip report in the forum section was an add on and it doesn't have the same interface as the trip thread pic posting ability.

Anyway this new agenda probably needs it's own thread, your idea Allan, perhaps you can do the honours.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Jun 2016

() wrote:

Yeah, Kelvin did mention that the trip report in the forum section was an add on and it doesn't have the same interface as the trip thread pic posting ability.

Anyway this new agenda probably needs it's own thread, your idea Allan, perhaps you can do the honours.

Not sure if it is my place to do this Mark; guess it is up to Kelvin if he thinks this is a good idea; re donations.

()
17 Jun 2016

Allan I just meant start a new discussion thread re this topic, many people will look at "HTML code glitches" title and not look at it, thus we'll never know how many would be interested.

()
18 Jun 2016

Hey, just a thought, perhaps a fairer system would be for everyone that actually went on each trip donated $5 for the privelage to join an organised group? The trip leader could be exempt to promote more trips being run??

This could always be a voluntary system up to the trip leader to have this in place.

Perhaps this may help to alleviate some of the insurance and website costs.

Anyway this probably needs it's own thread to get the attention required.