part time 4wd conversion

Forum > Tech talk, questions

Mark (cruiser105)
16 May 2016

Hi Guys

I have a 105 series cruiser and I was wondering if anyone has done a part time conversion on their 80 or 100 series and if so what ifany are the down sides to it or have they found it to be a good option. did the car become better to drive and do you actually get better fuel economy.

thanks for any feed back

cheers

mark

()
16 May 2016

Hi I was wondering the same, and can you just put freewheeling hubs on ,but no transfer disengage spool,so that the front diff is still driven but the wheels arnt ? 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
16 May 2016

I have never done it but have read a bit about it and spocken to a few that have done it or know people that had, my conclusion and the genaral opinion is that its not worth it, doesn't save much fuel at all, makes the car less stable and they don't tend to drive as well, after all a lot of engineering and development went into making it constant 4wd.

At the end of the day whey make the car that little bit less stable or unsafe on wet or gravel roads?

Mark (cruiser105)
16 May 2016

() wrote:

Hi I was wondering the same, and can you just put freewheeling hubs on ,but no transfer disengage spool,so that the front diff is still driven but the wheels arnt ? 

Hi Garry

Im not sure that would work as its sold as a complete kit. would need to check with an expert on that.

Mark (cruiser105)
16 May 2016

I have never done it but have read a bit about it and spocken to a few that have done it or know people that had, my conclusion and the genaral opinion is that its not worth it, doesn't save much fuel at all, makes the car less stable and t......

Hi Mathew

I think I need to ask around on this a bit more. I can understand the less stable on wet and gravel roads and maybe it doesnt give a fuel saving but it would be less wear and tear on components in the front driveline.

()
16 May 2016

Hi Garry

Im not sure that would work as its sold as a complete kit. would need to check with an expert on that.

Yeah just wondering, I can't see any reason why you can't just put the hubs on,

()
17 May 2016

Hi Mathew

I think I need to ask around on this a bit more. I can understand the less stable on wet and gravel roads and maybe it doesnt give a fuel saving but it would be less wear and tear on components in the front driveline.

One way of seeing what it's like is just take the front tail shaft off,it will give a rough idea

edit if you suffer from backlash with wear on the AWd ,the kit should stop that (wear in front diff not coming into play)

Mark (cruiser105)
25 May 2016

() wrote:

One way of seeing what it's like is just take the front tail shaft off,it will give a rough idea

edit if you suffer from backlash with wear on the AWd ,the kit should stop that (wear in front diff not coming into play)

if I installed this kit and I did have a backlash problem, would I still have that problem once 4wd was selected?

()
25 May 2016

if I installed this kit and I did have a backlash problem, would I still have that problem once 4wd was selected?

Hi if the backlash is in the front diff, it would happen, if it's those drive plate things in the hubs it should stop, cause I think you replace them with the free wheeling hubs. I don't notice the backlash that much when off-road, but on road I notice it.  I don't think you can just put free wheeling hubs on ,has the viscous plate in the transfer case will drive the least resistance,which would be the front diff and no drive to the rear diff ,thats why you need the kit to change the viscous plate. That's my understanding of it, I could be wrong .

Mark (cruiser105)
25 May 2016

() wrote:

Hi if the backlash is in the front diff, it would happen, if it's those drive plate things in the hubs it should stop, cause I think you replace them with the free wheeling hubs. I don't notice the backlash that much when off-road, but ......

thanks Gary

Kyle Dennis
Kyle Dennis (Hoppy)
03 Jun 2016

So my dads on his 4th cruiser now (60 series, 80 series GXL 1hz (mine) , 100 series GXL 4.7 V8 (brothers) and now a 105 series GXL  1hz his work car

So all the GXL's are full time 4wd from factory. 

The 80 series is still full time 4wd , 1991 and had 2 front end rebuilds - Towed heavy every day of its Life and had lots of weight in the back. At 380,000ks it stripped its first drive flange it's now done 437,000 and spent the last 35,000 in 35s and is still fine. (Had it since new) 

The 2004 100 series we got with 86 kilometres on the clock and it now has about 65k and my brother drives it like its stolen EVERYWHERE, (he has the money for fuel and it's got twin 2.5 inch straight through pipes so it's sounds awesome) , 285 tyres and bar work all around and it's still full time and I don't imagine It will be changed. 

The 2003 105 series we got at 160k on the clock, Turboed it at 162k and put a part time kit on at 165k from marks adapters. It was a mistake 

The nose is too light for towing heavy loads, the steering feels too light and no where near as stable on the road, You might be "saving" some wear and tear on the front end but in turn your putting 3ton plus an 1.5 ton trailer through just the back end . (Had to get a new rear tail shaft and yolks a couple of months back) , It made zero fuel difference , we still haven't done the ABS relocation kit which is another 400 bucks plus install so ABS doesn't work , It hasn't really saved the tyres from extra wear. The hubs we got with the kit are AVM and they are getting harder to turn now and don't seem too crash hot. The 105 now has about 220-230k so about 60k on the part time kit and yeah , waste of money. The only bonus it could possibly have is skids in the wet or mud pads haha. Plus if you need 4wd an emergency like being ran off the road into the grass or the guttering your already in 4wd to help you out with steering where as with a part time you don't have that luxury. 

Put it the money into something else or fuel for a trip away in your  full time 4wd awesomeness haha

Mark (cruiser105)
03 Jun 2016

So my dads on his 4th cruiser now (60 series, 80 series GXL 1hz (mine) , 100 series GXL 4.7 V8 (brothers) and now a 105 series GXL  1hz his work car

So all the GXL's are full time 4wd from factory. 

The 80 se......

Thanks Kyle, thats great feed back. I think your suggestion toput the money into fuel for a trip is a better option as my cruiser doesnt do alotof K's between trips. its not a daily driver.

thanks again for your info and opinion.

cheers

()
03 Jun 2016

Thanks Kyle for the info , I'll be sticking to the factory setup cheers gaz

Kyle Dennis
Kyle Dennis (Hoppy)
03 Jun 2016

Thanks Kyle, thats great feed back. I think your suggestion toput the money into fuel for a trip is a better option as my cruiser doesnt do alotof K's between trips. its not a daily driver.

thanks again for your info and opinion.

cheers

no worries :) 

i would only suggest a part time if you have a lot of power due to torque steer onroad