Dargo to Licola via Wonangatta

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2 3 4   Next

()
15 May 2016

Hi guys, we completed yet another ripper trip!

The meeting point was Italian flat which has a good amount of room and a toilet.

Some of us came up early Friday and some came after work and arrived close to midnight.

Big Kev got his ARB diff breathers fitted while at the campsite on Friday, well done mate, nice work there!!

The next morning we were set to head off, but Jacky and Mark's car had a problem with the heater core leaking, a 5 min bypass sorted that out.

So off to the crooked river we went, Bulltown spur was strait forward, the crossings at the crooked were all very easy, the first one used to be a bit hard on the exit, but it's all been fixed up now. 

We had Lunch in Talbotville and headed off to do the rest of the crooked crossings, we then went via station track and Wombat, we didn't do Herne this time and chose to keep going along Wombat.

We made our way to camp at Wonangatta, that was a great night, but it was a bit windy, it wasn't cold at all this time around which was great. All the home made whiskey got polished off, thanks for the compliments.

Antony saw some rough areas and decided to test out his new mud tyres, well 37's were needed, he got stuck and flooded his cabin, not too deep though. He wasn't upset as he had bought new carpet for it already due to another submarine effort on a prior trip.

Poor old Martin didn't have a good morning, his battery was flat and wasn't feeling great from his recent sickness so he decided to head off via the easier track towards Myrtleford on Sunday morning.

The rest of us kept going along and did Zeka spur, that is pretty rough in areas, but it's a great track to keep you on your toes.

Allan in the Pajero had a minor split in the radiator, but with a few top ups he kept ticking along nicely.

We then had a look at Howitt hut and made our way down the long Howitt rd, thankfully recent rain had kept the dust down nicely.

We wanted to look at Kelly hut too but the seasonal closure was brought forward to May 1, so that can go on the list for next time.

We aired up and then headed for home.

On the way home I caught up to big kev going slowly in the emergency lane with his hazards on, we found a spot to pull over and had a look, there was a terrible clanging sound coming from the back, it turns out the driveshaft balancer had copped a knock and worked it's way loose.

We put it back together as well as possible with the aid of a few cable ties, and he made it home ok, he later told me.

Scotty, Jacky and Mark had their first trip with the site and appeared to love the trip, it was great to meet you all and hopefully we can meet up again for another one some time.

We then had a few of the regular offenders on the trip, it's great to have had such a friendly group, some hadn't met before and now I'm sure new friendships were made. Thanks everyone for coming along and making it the great trip it was.

I didn't take many photo's as Allan had three cameras set up, so he'll post some in due course.

Had an amazing awesome time .I love this country travelling with old and new. Thank you all was fantastic. Yes I was rescued again that thingy that Mark spoke abut. A few ARB cable ties and we were off again.

Jacki
Jacki (TJB72)
15 May 2016

Thankyou for a great trip Mark, Allan,Antony , Alex, Kevin, Martin, Scott & Greg ,

we really enjoyed our 1st trip with the group . Superb part of Victoria, loved it . Some fun tracks & plenty of river crossings . Good company & picked up some good tips thanks . 

Hope to see you all another time 

Cheers

Jacki & Mark 

Martin
Martin (BT50driver)
16 May 2016

Thankyou for a great trip Mark, Allan,Antony , Alex, Kevin, Martin, Scott & Greg ,

we really enjoyed our 1st trip with the group . Superb part of Victoria, loved it . Some fun tracks & plenty of river crossings . Good company......

Thanks everyone for a fine trip and good to meet some new faces, just a pity to have to cut the trip short.

That road to myrtleford is like a never ending story, it is good for the first bit but then it just looks like it goes forever.

Thank you Allan for leading me to the turnoff at Zeka spur and Wonnagatta trak and thank you Kevin and Mark for offering :)

()
16 May 2016

Yes Martin, it was a shame you missed Zeka, but with you being crook, it was a good call taking a smoother road out, Zeka is pretty rough.

That area will be seasonally closed soon, but you can always go back in December or so.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
16 May 2016

Thanks guys a top weekend with great people. And thanks to Kev for the non stop entertainment 'ARB breathers'.   Hope we can all catch up again some time. 

()
17 May 2016

Don't forget the ARB cable ties, that's what held on the driveshaft balancer after it clanged around for a while.

Only ARB cable ties were up to that task!!! And don't forget it ......ARB !!!!

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 May 2016

Thanks Mark for another enjoyable trip, well run as usual....yes. Was great to meet some new faces, Antony, Scotty, Mark and Jacki as well as catching up with the familar faces of Mark, Big Kev, Martin and Alex. Was amazed at the number of places Antony has visited considering he is still a 'young bloke'.

Anyway, wont be going 4wding for sometime as it took me close to 8 hrs to get home, with the last couple on the back of a tray truck. As they say; :shit happens".

Didnt take many pics, but here are a few;

Italian Flat.

'Macho Man' Mark.

'Big Kev' and Martin at Dargo Pub.

On the tracks.

Antony has given the ok for me to put up a video of him, so will have it up soon. Again, thanksMark and fellow members for a very enjoyable weekend and I hope Martin is feeling better.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 May 2016

Here is the video of Antony......surprise

()
17 May 2016

Thanks for the pics and video Allan.

What happened to the Pajero? Did that split in the radiator get worse?

Sorry mate, I would have stayed with you on the highway if I thought you were going to have trouble.

You made it out all the way from wonangatta to Licola with only two top ups of the radiator.

Pity you didn't have any of Big Kev's ARB cable ties !!

Scotty
Scotty (Potty67)
18 May 2016

Great trip good group. First trip done and more to come. 

Thanks Mark for a great weekend.  đź‘Ť

()
18 May 2016

Thanks for the trip the report,  shame about your rad Allan, two eggs in the rad does work for leaks ,keep heater closed , also if it's the plastic tank that splits you can use a soldering iron to weld the plastic ,heat it up on your camp stove. Also that steel putty stuff is handy to carry to stop leaks on the core.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 May 2016

Hi, great report. I'm now looking more forward to Brad's trip which will be similar to this. Just question about Zeka Spur, how do you think my vehicle will cope? I put on 32" muddies (265/75R16 Deestone Mud Crawlers to be exact), got bash plate but stock suspension and no lockers. Will it make it through in the current conditions? I have now got a snorkel and diff breathers so that should be ok with water corssings hopefully.

Thanks. Would appreciate your input.

()
18 May 2016

Thurstain, you'll be fine with that setup. Mine is 2 inch lift with 29 AT's, I made it up Zeka fine without bashing the bottom once. However, you will need to pick your line right or you will clobber your vehicle. The slower you can go over rougher sections the better, but you still need some momentum to get you up and over bigger rocky areas. That's why lockers are so great, you just crawl up and take your time and let the suspension work it's way up and down while the wheels always have traction to at leas one wheel. I wish I had them, but in this case you don't need them, just don't get carried away and go too fast. I have only met one of the drivers on your trip, Harro. If you follow behind him and follow his line you'll be fine. I haven't met discoMatt, but I'm told he's a very good driver too. I'm sure they will help you out if you ask.

Have fun!!!

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 May 2016

Awesome! That is great news. That was my only worry. I make sure I'll follow more experienced drivers.

As always, thanks for your help.

1 2 3 4   Next