A "hard beginner" trip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next
Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 May 2016

Hope it works out OK for you but I can see a insurance claim coming or a expensive repair bill. We all learn the hard way, I cooked a motor from mud in the radiator and that was after numerous starter motors and alternator needed to be replaced. Now after years of 4wding I avoid bog holes at all costs and only go through them as a last resort if there is no way around

()
07 May 2016

Don, please tell us you have comprehensive insurance.

()
07 May 2016

$10,000 +if hydraulic lock,bent conrods.you need to remove the glow plugs or injectors and turn it by hand with a socket on the harmoic balancer bolt ,hopefully it turns 2 or 3 times with little force and take the sump plug off let 2 litres drain out hopefully no water,water will sit at the bottom of the sump . If turns freely use start motor to expell any water in bores .if in doubt get a good mechanic.

Yes I have full comprehensive insurance. It hasn't thrown a leg out of bed, which is 1 good sign. Once it stalled I did not try to restart it. It was towed home on a tilt tray and is now sitting in the driveway licking its wounds. 

Gazza, thank you for that advice, I appreciate that, I will work on that starting Tuesday when there will be no rain here or very little at least.

Mate that's bad news, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Big bog hole on Bills Track? We're there any chicken routes?

Yes there was 3 big bogholes and each had a chicken track,  It was the very last hole before Main Rd.

() wrote:

How did you get muddy water in the. Turbo? No snorkel? Hopefully no damage.

No, no snorkel, and if I can get it going again, that is the first item on the list as soon as it starts again.

() wrote:

Ouch, fingers crossed mate, I got stuck in a boghole there, the snork was the only thing that saved my motor.

Big Kev saw it and the next trip he had one.

Hope it's OK.

Yes I did see that post, but in the excitement of the moment forgot, and did the same thing underestimated, badly.

()
07 May 2016

That's good news on the insurance, did the inside get all wet too? You may want to do a claim anyway, as they could write it off, that may or may not suit you.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 May 2016

Water damage will nearly always write off a vehicle due to the unknown, constant issues with computers and electronics is the last thing you need in a modern car. Don't want to be the one with all the bad news but I have never seen a diesel stopped by water get away without major damage due to the extreemly high compression they run, water does not compess and bits break and bendcrying

Wishing you the best of luck !!!!!

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 May 2016

No, no snorkel, and if I can get it going again, that is the first item on the list as soon as it starts again.

I got a 2006 Navara same colour too.. I cringed at your photo as that looks exactly like mine! The air intake JUST got in the mud, bad luck. If you didn't dive another 2 centimetres you might have been a bit luckier.. But that depends if water would have gotten in through the airbox as it's not sealed either. I literally just finished installing a snorkel on mine about 1.5 hours ago.. Yes till midnight!!

Hopefully you get it going again and get a snorkel installed!

Good luck!

() wrote:

That's good news on the insurance, did the inside get all wet too? You may want to do a claim anyway, as they could write it off, that may or may not suit you.

The carpet and front seats got wet as well as the bottom section of the console, but, everyone here is telling me that they wont pay out because the driver did it on purpose. I have no idea where I'll stand on this. Even the tow truck driver said I should have towed it to a hill and rolled it down or into a tree, I would have had an easier claim.

()
08 May 2016

It's pretty clear you love that car, you have gradually added bits to it, and it's your main hobby, I'm sure you have lots of pictures of it evolving and all the fun trips you have been on to prove that.

If it's part of the policy then that's it they have to pay, too many people just go "oh alright" if they fk you around keep pushing. There are other avenues if they play hardball, but try to keep most of the communications in writing (email), so you have evidence if needed later on. I'd ring on the initial contact though.

()
08 May 2016

Didn't you take the chicken track but the right hand side of vehicle slipped into the bog hole.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
08 May 2016

Depends on policy details, a few years ago just after I had finished my initial build I had full 4wd specific cover, that insured against everything as long as I wasn't breaking the law and it wasn't a timed event,

river crossings, beach driving all tracks where covered so read the fine print and let them know that the river crossing was on a gazetted track and that it was open to the public and there was no brdge or alternarive way around.

Who are you insured with?

Thiis will be interesting for a lot of people that go 4wding to see how things pan out

Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next