A "hard beginner" trip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Where did you get that map from, I want one. Sick of the digital maps having tracks named wrong and not showing half the tracks, especially in such a popular area.

ARB Thomastown. It's a Rooftops map, latest edition for Tallarook. Pocker size and waterproof paper too.

For all my trips I always get hold of a paper topo map to roughly plan the trip, then whilst driving I use Here as it seems to have the most comprehensive inclusion of tracks, some even unused. Bonus being it's offline.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

This is a screenshot from Here maps. Pretty detailed. 

This is a screenshot from Here maps. Pretty detailed. 

Interesting to see Horans Track located there. Horans track runs off Mt Hickey Rd through to Horans Rd. 

But I do like it, so far, I'll try it today and see how it goes for me, if I can save the tracks and possibly print them when I get home.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Interesting to see Horans Track located there. Horans track runs off Mt Hickey Rd through to Horans Rd. 

But I do like it, so far, I'll try it today and see how it goes for me, if I can save the tracks and possibly print them when I get home.

Yeah sometimes the names aren't quite accurate but every track I've seen out there in person always seems to show up on the app.

Can't save your route, though I'm pretty sure you can mark way points.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
07 May 2016

If you'd like an interesting entry point, come in out of Trawool via Falls Creek rd. It has has small rut climbs and harder sections if you choose, a fun drive. Was out there not long ago with my club, I took them to steep tk but they wouldnt go up it, they didnt like the tree root section,  so I took them out via Falls creek, they enjoyed the track.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Another excellent map series is the Vicmap topo series. Extremely detailed, though not as informative as Rooftops regarding bog holes, steep, rocky etc. 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Mark, the video you posted on page 2, which tracks were they?

()
07 May 2016

Mark, the video you posted on page 2, which tracks were they?

I wasn't on that trip I nor my rig would be up to those tracks, look at the top of page three discoMatt was on that trip and he runs through the tracks.

Also the way AlexPatrol suggested is a good way too that will take you up east falls rd which is a nice, not too hard , but not boring track.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
07 May 2016

read first post page 3

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Thanks. Missed that.

Yeah Steep tk we will definitely walk before considering it. Hopefully it's in ok condition, I'd like to use my drone to get some footage of the group coming up there.

()
07 May 2016

I forgot to say, there is another track close to the ruins that is a mongrel too, I think it's hefferen track, have a look from the lower side first.

Count me out, Killed my ute on Bills track today, tow truck home. Turbo is full of muddy water for starters. I didn't try to restart it after it stalled, so fingers crossed it stopped the turbo and didn't go into the motor.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
07 May 2016

Count me out, Killed my ute on Bills track today, tow truck home. Turbo is full of muddy water for starters. I didn't try to restart it after it stalled, so fingers crossed it stopped the turbo and didn't go into the motor.

Mate that's bad news, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Big bog hole on Bills Track? We're there any chicken routes?

()
07 May 2016

How did you get muddy water in the. Turbo? No snorkel? Hopefully no damage.

()
07 May 2016

Ouch, fingers crossed mate, I got stuck in a boghole there, the snork was the only thing that saved my motor.

Big Kev saw it and the next trip he had one.

Hope it's OK.

Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next