A "hard beginner" trip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
05 May 2016

my brother and i would be keen as to do some tough technical tracks have you posted a trip yet ?

Not as yet. We have a group of friends that will hopefully be able to come, vehicle status pending. If they can't then we will open it up to everyone on here.

() wrote:

Hey Don, are you saying Mountain track is hard going up? And not suitable for beginners?

Not at all. I found it easy myself.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 May 2016

Thinking of this as a basic idea for the route. Having not been there before I'm purely going off topo information from the map. Running counter clockwise. Purple are alternatives to the red lines, and switched to yellow after coming around the top of the park and back out towards exit.

For those that know the region - thoughts? Obviously if rain plays a part I will definitely re-evaluate.

Thinking of this as a basic idea for the route. Having not been there before I'm purely going off topo information from the map. Running counter clockwise. Purple are alternatives to the red lines, and switched to yellow after coming around......

There is no rain expected for tonight or tomorrow, with a max of 23 expected.Steep track will be a challange for some if you plan on going up. Jenkin Track doesn't ring any beels for me. All the yellow tracks I have done in my stock Navara D22.

()
06 May 2016

The route Big Kev did in this trip was great for beginners  http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/trip.aspx?tripid=339

Look in the files section for the map.

I would also add mountain track, rocky track and around the back of the resevoir on east falls rd, that's a bit rutted and steep, but not too bad.

If you haven't done steep track I strongly advise you walk it first, especially if guiding a newbee trip. I really don't think you want to go there unless well set up with lots of track time. You can get an easy look at it from the bottom, walk up and you'll see what I mean.

Keep in mind some tracks are seasonally closed, which is coming soon.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 May 2016

Might head down caddell across to mountain then.

Steep tk is optional at this point. Will walk first and decide.

Might head down caddell across to mountain then.

Steep tk is optional at this point. Will walk first and decide.

Cadell is a great track for beginners. My bad with the rain, thats for tomorrow. OOps. 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 May 2016

Cadell is a great track for beginners. My bad with the rain, thats for tomorrow. OOps. 

Trip planned for the 22nd.

()
06 May 2016

If you wanted to add a track that was a bit harder look at the one I coloured blue, go from right to left.

Trip planned for the 22nd.

Yes I remembered that after I posted. :) If you are planning on coming in from David Rd, you have to go through private property to get to Jenkins Track. The owner doesn't mind. But I have never gone in that way myself. Where would you plan for the meeting point?

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 May 2016

Yes I remembered that after I posted. :) If you are planning on coming in from David Rd, you have to go through private property to get to Jenkins Track. The owner doesn't mind. But I have never gone in that way myself. Where would you plan for the meeting point?

Broad Fuel in Broadford. Meet and final fuel up, they open at 7am. Then head for dirt, air down and brief.

Broad Fuel in Broadford. Meet and final fuel up, they open at 7am. Then head for dirt, air down and brief.

Thats perfect for me, I live 5 minutes from there. Diesel pumps and LPG are to the side and petrol pumps out front.

Wayne (Defender130)
06 May 2016

Hi Don, we've chatted on AULRO a couple of times although haven't met yet. I used to live on Davis Rd and went in that way many times but I didn't know it was a private rd. Anyway if you go from Davis Rd you'll come to a bit of a junction; Jenkins being gated on the left and I think it's Cunningham's on the right. Jenkins gate is not locked. I understand Cunningham's is a private rd. You'll know you're on the right track when you see lots of signs saying no shooting. It's a nice (and easy) drive with forest on the northern side and grazing paddocks on the southern side before you get to the forest proper.

Hi Don, we've chatted on AULRO a couple of times although haven't met yet. I used to live on Davis Rd and went in that way many times but I didn't know it was a private rd. Anyway if you go from Davis Rd you'll come to a bit of a junction; Jenkins be......

Hi Wayne, Yes, I do remember chatting to you mate. I was only told about that way recently, Haven't tried yet yet, but first time for everything :) I'm heading out there today with some friends, I'll have a look on the way back, that will make it easier to find going in next time. Thank you Wayne.

Thinking of this as a basic idea for the route. Having not been there before I'm purely going off topo information from the map. Running counter clockwise. Purple are alternatives to the red lines, and switched to yellow after coming around......

Where did you get that map from, I want one. Sick of the digital maps having tracks named wrong and not showing half the tracks, especially in such a popular area.

Previous   1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next