A "hard beginner" trip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
04 May 2016

Yeah, sounds a bit odd, but the idea stems from when I started out that to advance my driving ability and discover more of the capabilities of my vehicle I had to do tracks that scared the hell out of me.

The wife did her 2nd trip the other weekend, and really probably first challenging trip, now I'm planning one for her next outing for Tallarook. She's in a stock FJ, and my plan is to include a few tough ones like Steep Track to really test her out.

Might have a couple of extra spots on the trip for some beginners looking to step it up or for someone more experienced happy to assist the less experienced.

Anyone keen? Sun 22nd.

Adrian
Adrian (Adrian_T)
04 May 2016

I dont thi k i can make it but i know the area well. If you want a few more good tracks tehans no5 is pretty steep but not too hard. Phone track is challenging but you will probably do damage in a stock 4wd on thay travk

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
04 May 2016

I would be interested, however that weekend theres the 4wdtrip get together which I'll be going to and there's also another trip happening (Walhalla trip).. so might be a bit hard to get interest of others on that weekend since it's busy.

Are you able to maybe do it a different weekend?

Adrian
Adrian (Adrian_T)
04 May 2016

I dont thi k i can make it but i know the area well. If you want a few more good tracks tehans no5 is pretty steep but not too hard. Phone track is challenging but you will probably do damage in a stock 4wd on that track

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
04 May 2016

I dont thi k i can make it but i know the area well. If you want a few more good tracks tehans no5 is pretty steep but not too hard. Phone track is challenging but you will probably do damage in a stock 4wd on thay travk
Thanks mate.

As for moving the weekend, nah, that's our date. And there are a lot of 4wders out there who are not booked in to trips yet. Plus, we only want a small group, 5 max, and with our other friends there may be 1 or 2 spots on the trip, but depends on friends getting their trucks fixed up.

Glenn
Glenn (4x4man)
04 May 2016

Might be interested in going will see what my work roster is before i say yes

Lorraine
Lorraine (Loopy)
04 May 2016

When you have a trip for real novices, that would be me. Hubby is brave but never used the extra controls on our Colorado. Also not wanting to scratch hell out of the car just yet.

perhaps I am misunderstanding what 4 x 4 groups are about. I would like to be able to handle equipment and get ourselves out of trouble if needed. 

Lorraine

Matt
Matt (Ratpack68)
04 May 2016

I would be interested in going, don't have anything planned for the day yet and always wanting to see some new area's.

Rosco
Rosco (lenoir)
04 May 2016

Keen, checking the date. I'll let you know shortly, but I love the idea. I'm in a stock Jeep Cherokee with A/T tyres so what you're shooting for sounds perfect for me.

Jackson
Jackson (jackarado)
04 May 2016

Sounds great ! Can you inbox me some more details ?

()
04 May 2016

Great to see you're running trips again Winston.

Have you done steep track before mate? I haven't tackled that one myself.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
04 May 2016

Haven't done steep track yet but from what I've seen it looks tough but doable in a good stock vehicle.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
04 May 2016

Lorraine, don't stress. There are trips for beginners, I ran one earlier this year that was basically for first timers. You progress quickly and the more challenging the day, the more confidence you will get.

Mark, thanks mate. I'm limited these days since I rolled the Paj. Waiting for a bit to get my next rig. I'm passenger now while mt wife gets better and better. Might consider offering to sit shotgun with someone and run a trip where they don't feel confident.

()
04 May 2016

Haven't done steep track yet but from what I've seen it looks tough but doable in a good stock vehicle.

I was at the bottom and walked up 100m and decided it was past my vehicles capabilities, maybe with a locker or traction control I'd give it a go.

Edit, jeez, you rolled your Paj, how did that happen? No injuries?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
04 May 2016

Being a little optimistic there Winston. Not a track you would/should take new to 4wding in a stock vehicle. Maybe you might want to have a look at one of my Tallarook videos where some experienced drivers with modified vehicles had to work fairly hard.

Phone Tk? - no comment required.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next