1 2   Next
Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
26 Apr 2016

Hi All,

Continuing on from: http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5609&forumid=7

I am happy to lead another High Country trip if there is enough interest, this will be my second trip with with 4wdTrip as a trip leader. I am currently in middle of reliving all the 4wd trips I did as 14-15 year old passenger in the family jeep, except this time I get to drive :)

I don't want to just copy what Mark is doing as if we end up doing both trips on the same weekend we would just be following one another the whole time and we all know what happens when the convey becomes too big, lots of standing around doing not much instead of actualy driving. In saying that perhaps we can coordinate with Mark's trip and cross paths at a few strategic locations.

At this stage I havn't even looked at any maps yet so open to suggestions.

Let me know if your keen,

Brad

()
26 Apr 2016

Good stuff Brad, if you want to talk re tracks that we are doing etc give me a buzz on 0447 354 759

It's all pretty strait forward if you want any advice on alternatives Allanmac, Antony and Alex know the area like the back of their hands.

Cheers Mark

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
26 Apr 2016

Can run the trip in reverse and stay the night in talbotville. Would probably cross paths on Cynthia range track.

()
26 Apr 2016

Actually that would be interesting going down Zeka, I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
26 Apr 2016

() wrote:

Actually that would be interesting going down Zeka, I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Done it a number of times Mark, gets somewhat tedious.

()
26 Apr 2016

Done it a number of times Mark, gets somewhat tedious.

You just had to rain on the parade didn't you frown

Jeeeeez Brad dunno how serious all the guys are that missed out on my trip, still no bites surprise

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
26 Apr 2016

I'm interested. However I saw that Marks trip mentioned a lot of water crossing and 2 inch lifts. I have neither of those so revoked my interest on the trip. Snorkel is on the way (few weeks) and lift will have to wait for some coin in a few months with bigger tyres.

Plus I'm new to 4wd, only did a few tracks on my own (had Navara for 3 months).. So I don't want to be the new guy with little experience, no lift and no snorkel.. Which will cause more pain for everyone.

Anyway, I'm keen on some trips if there's something for a rookie like me in play.

Thanks.

()
26 Apr 2016

I'm interested. However I saw that Marks trip mentioned a lot of water crossing and 2 inch lifts. I have neither of those so revoked my interest on the trip. Snorkel is on the way (few weeks) and lift will have to wait for some coin in a few months w......

If you went DOWN Zeka it could be done more cautiously, going up you will need momentum and WILL bang the crap out of your rig with stock suspension.

If the rivers are normal height you could drive them in a falcon, But the high country can be unpredictable.

A tarp over the bonnet is usually ok, unless really deep, or if you stop/lose traction midstream.

I always list worst case scenario so everyone is prepared/overprepared.

Anyway if you rang the pub to find out what weather they got the day or two prior then you'll know the height of the crossings.

But stock height I wouldn't do Zeka going up.

I would be keen mate

What is the date for this trip,   😀

Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
27 Apr 2016

What is the date for this trip,   😀

As for a date, my misses has a an RDO on the 30th of May, so the weekend 28-29th of May works well for us, assuming I can book in the annual leave as well.

But I'm fairly flexiable, if people tell me when suits we will do the trip to cater for the majority.

As for a date, my misses has a an RDO on the 30th of May, so the weekend 28-29th of May works well for us, assuming I can book in the annual leave as well.

But I'm fairly flexiable, if people tell me when suits we will do the trip to cater for the majority.

That date works ok for us....😀

Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
27 Apr 2016

I would be keen mate

When suits Stewart? You also happy with the 28-29th of May?

Brad Jones
Brad Jones (BradZook)
27 Apr 2016

Well I have just gone through and PM'ed everyone else that expressed interest in the other forum thread. We will see what replies I get over the next day or so but at this stage I think the weekend of the 28th & 29th of May (so basically in a months time) is when I'll run the trip.

This gives us the added advantage of making use of recent track knowledge from Marks trip. Hell if those on Marks trip are keen for another trip feel free to jump on board but I would give priority to those that expressed interest and missed out.

I plan to drive to Dargo on the Friday night & camp along the dargo river somewhere, ideally I would love to get away from work early enough to get to the pub for dinner but I think that might be wishful thinking haha.

Saturday drive up to Wonangatta and camp the night. Sunday drive out via Zeka Spur track. At this point people can bug out and head home via the main 2wd road to Licola if they so choose.

I plan on camping Sunday night also. Probably at Macalister Gorge, last time I stopped at the hut here for lunch and told myself I just had to come back and camp the night or the week lol.

Monday morning we would drive out of Macalister Gorge and head home via Thomson Dam / Walhalla.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
27 Apr 2016

Sounds like a great plan Brad...yes. If I may suggest, why not camp at Italian Flat on the Friday night, as per Mark's trip. If you do the similar route also, allow 3 hrs from Italian Flat to Talbotville via Bulltown Spur & Crooked River Tk. From Talbotville to Wonnangatta, again another 3 hours, (providing you have no hold ups/issues etc) so I would allow 7 hrs which allows time for lunch break/ pictures etc etc. Not sure if you have done Zeka Spur, but I have always worked on about 2.5 hrs from Wonnangatta up to Howitt Plains Rd.

Probably a great weekend to go, will be bloody cool but you might be lucky enough to get snow.

1 2   Next