Map apps for tablets

Forum > Open Discussion
Previous   1 2
Adam
Adam (zem100)
22 Apr 2016

() wrote:

I currently use Hema Explorer in my Samsung Galaxy S Tab. The app does cost $29.99 and it's  possible to download all the maps required and even download more detailed HERE maps too . The maps need to be downloaded after the app is ins......

You actually can save portions of a Google map to work offline. 

Davide
Davide (dadomago)
22 Apr 2016

Correct, some of the tracks are not shown on Oruxmap, but it happens verry rarely.

I also forgot to say that Oruxmap allows you to create and save map areas. For example I saved the Wombat Forest area as well as Toolangi so that I can use them offline as no signal is available in the forest.

I just save all the tiles on my tablet, and I can record all the tracks I do. Afterwards at home I label them with a rating, so that I know which one is good and which one is not worth.

I find it awesome. I although have to say that I always bring with me a paper map. Great device the tablet with digital maps, bu you never know what can happen. Paper maps won't fail!.

But that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
22 Apr 2016

Correct, some of the tracks are not shown on Oruxmap, but it happens verry rarely.

I also forgot to say that Oruxmap allows you to create and save map areas. For example I saved the Wombat Forest area as well as Toolangi so that I ca......

Yeah it looks good. But in Topo 4u most of the roads in Mt Disappointment State Forest and to the north in Tallarook SF aren't labelled. Those were the only areas I sampled; better elsewhere I guess.
BTW, I've had paper fail. When the map gets wet or the compass gets sat on!

Davide
Davide (dadomago)
22 Apr 2016

Yeah it looks good. But in Topo 4u most of the roads in Mt Disappointment State Forest and to the north in Tallarook SF aren't labelled. Those were the only areas I sampled; better elsewhere I guess.
BTW, I've had paper fail. When the map gets wet or the compass gets sat on!
How could you get a paper map wet?!!!!
Did you weed on the map?!
😄😄😄😄😄
Honestly I don't really care if the tracks are labeled. As long as are shown on the map I am fine. I can always find the name of the track, from paper map, friends, Google.
The main things are that I can save offline maps, I can record tracks, and that are shown sine tracks that you cannot find elsewhere.
Anyway, at the end it always a matter of personal preferences. Some people feel better with one app rather than another.
Few reasons drove me towards Oruxmap in addition to those listed above. It's free and I can choose among a lot of type of maps.

You can always install the free limited version. Test it, and if you like it, buy the full version for 2$ (which I still consider free for what you get).

Cheers m8!

Previous   1 2