Map apps for tablets

Forum > Open Discussion
1 2   Next

I just got a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32gb. Which are the better FREE map apps to use for offroad?

(mauriceb)
21 Apr 2016

Have a read here Don http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/android-navigation-app.23075/

()
21 Apr 2016

I currently use Hema Explorer in my Samsung Galaxy S Tab. The app does cost $29.99 and it's  possible to download all the maps required and even download more detailed HERE maps too . The maps need to be downloaded after the app is installed . I believe the offline maps are about 2.5 GB from Hema. 

So far i have not been able to get my Hema Explorer to guide me to the destination automatically - it's not like a Tom Tom or SatNav. However it will tell you the GPS location on the trail , you can record it etc . Be sure to read the instructions guide from the Hrma website . I found Hema Explorer on the Andriod to be the most cost effective option . Google maps app is free and does not support offline mode but is great around Cities if there is internet. 

There are other options like Memory Map, Oz Explorer(old Hema explorer) , Mud Maps and the full blown Hema at $99 which does talk you to the destination offline . 

Jason
Jason (Gossamer)
21 Apr 2016

"Here" is pretty good, you can even plug in a track name and it will take you there. I have tested it with a few track names i know and it seems to find them. You will also need to download a screen rotate app as here wont rotate by itself.

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
21 Apr 2016

I use ozi explorer with rooftop and hema maps that I've scanned/got off mates

I've been using the Hema 4WD Maps for the past 3 years on my iPad (1st gen) and it’s worked brilliantly. A broad and extensive range of maps are on the device and you can buy others from a map shop (which I’ve never been able to do successfully!?). I also have the app on my iPhone but the small screen kills me!

I was in the Kimberley last year with the iPad and it was great to have the GPS tracking on the route just to get a handle of the “are we there yet?”. I now prefer the Hema iPad over paper maps but an issue is that you only see a small section of the region at a time depending on the level of magnification. It can be distracting reaching across and swiping around to look further afield but it has a brilliant ‘centre of screen’ function to bring you straight back to where you are. It's a big app taking up close to 2gig of memory.

I mucked around for ages before settling on the best glass-mounted holder for the iPad but got there in the end. I have my iPad powered by the deep cycle circuits so it runs all the time without fail. The app’s tracking also means if you choose to view the Australia 1M Map it shows the routes of every trip you've undertaken which is pretty cool.

I also have Alpine's satnav in the in-car unit but it's pretty hopeless off-road. And I also have the Hema Explorer app but have never been able to get the hang of how to use it. With the bunch of blokes I normally go off-road and camping with we have several different forms of electronic and hard copy navigation between us so someone always has something of assistance when needed.

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
21 Apr 2016

Have a read here Don http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/android-navigation-app.23075/

Have a look at the app PDF MAPS by Avenza.

Then you can d/l Natmap Topos, mostly for free.

There are some limitations with these.  They are dated and small scale.

As posted above, there are some apps that allow auto-routing.  On tracks IME that's too risky to use.

Thank you for all the responses. I do have a Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT and its useless in the Tallarook ranges and Mt disappointment area. I have downloaded Offline Maps, Memory Map and Maps.me. I'm hoping to try them this weekend. But Hema does seem to be the popular one.

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
21 Apr 2016

Thank you for all the responses. I do have a Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT and its useless in the Tallarook ranges and Mt disappointment area. I have downloaded Offline Maps, Memory Map and Maps.me. I'm hoping to try them this weekend. But Hema does ......

I haven't looked at the latest 140k Hemas.  The older ones are too small scale for bush nav IME, and there's an error rate that p's me off.  In fact I find anything over 100k unsatisfactory.

For Garmins another option is Oztopo 7.  Covers the country at c 25k; topo.  The cost of that coverage is a low rate of inclusion of structures like buildings, gates etc.  Costs about $220.

Otherwise, good maps for detailed geo features and structures are the geo-referenced PDFs from VicMap.  25k or 30k.  You just buy the 'sheets' you need.  I think you can inspect samples online.

Rod Marks
Rod Marks (rokkitt)
21 Apr 2016

I use OziExplorer for Android on my Galaxy Tab.

It may not be a free app but it is worth the few dollars.

Davide
Davide (dadomago)
21 Apr 2016

Orux map.

It's free. You can choose between hundreds of map types.

I prefer the Topo 4umaps from the long list because it shows the contours and it displays most of the off road tracks plus some tracks that are not shown on any map. That's how I found some new good tracks.

You ca record tracks, waypoints, and many other features. I usually use just the basic stuff though.

You can download it from Google play on android devices.

Davide

That Oruxmaps looks good. It will also allow me to name tracks it doesn't know :)

(mauriceb)
21 Apr 2016

That Oruxmaps looks good. It will also allow me to name tracks it doesn't know :)

I think all these privately developed apps are to fiddly to use .I have loaded unlocked garmin images and OziExplorer maps in Orux but dont like it. If you like the downloaded maps which are osm and have a Nuvi you can place the same maps and some a routable for free for the OSM site .They have a lot of tracks not marked on the Hema's ect .I run Garmin Topo V5 Merged with OSM on my Nuvi SD card.able to select V5 then select OSM to overlay. However always have my ozi tab running

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
21 Apr 2016

Most roads (as against tracks) aren't labelled, the way it displays on my tablet. Anyone found a way of changing that?

()
21 Apr 2016

The following sites have assisted me in obtaining mapping for various marine , car and handheld GPS mapping .

fixmygps.info

navitotal.com

gpspower.net

i believe you can download maps etc and a more detailed forum that specializes in GPS. I was able to get help on finding new map updates from other forum members for my car GPS .

1 2   Next