Time to drop the email system.

Forum > Open Discussion
Previous   1 2 3   Next

()
31 Aug 2016

I agree Allen about this new thing were a trip gets posted its already full ?

()
31 Aug 2016

() wrote:

I agree Allen about this new thing were a trip gets posted its already full ?

Maybe drop the private trips, then more trips posted, ones doing private trips arnt going to learn more ,because they are using the same group to 4wd with. Plus you do get the clickyness with that group which is found in clubs , which you don't want growing on this site, means less trips for members. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
31 Aug 2016

() wrote:

Maybe drop the private trips, then more trips posted, ones doing private trips arnt going to learn more ,because they are using the same group to 4wd with. Plus you do get the clickyness with that group which is found in clubs , which you don&#......

I guess both the email system and private trips are open for debate and even though there were not many replies, it seems the majority like the email system. As I said previously, I still believe more members get the opportunity to join  a trip if trips were only posted on the site without email notification; meaning you have to log onto the site.

Gazza, there are quite a lot of private trips run and to be honest I see nothing wrong with that. There are many who feel more comfortable going out with people they know as they have knowledge of both the person's driving conduct/capabilities and the vehicle they drive, if that makes sense. Not sure if I am correct here, but there are a few of us who post a private trip, then if it doesnt fill change it to public. Could that be the reason some trips seem to fill so quickly?, maybe maybe not. Again, dont really see a problem with that.

If I do have one concern, and I am sure Kelvin will clarify, how does the insurance thing for a trip leader work if there are non members on trips?. There have been times when someone has posted a trip with only a couple of vacancies with the reason being along the lines of;  " Going to 'so & so' and have a few friends joining me but I have a couple of vacancies if anyone interested" or along those lines. Maybe I am being a bit padantic or overly cautious here, but IF it could cause a issue re; insurance, I am not sure whether a trip should be posted here if some of the participants are non members.

Again, just my thoughts.

()
31 Aug 2016

Yes that's one reason theres a lack of trips , private trips, as you say there's a lot of them. If people want to 4wd with the same group of people ,join a club.

()
31 Aug 2016

() wrote:

Yes that's one reason theres a lack of trips , private trips, as you say there's a lot of them. If people want to 4wd with the same group of people ,join a club.

Yes that's what has made this website so good from the start the fact it was open and there were no little clicks or little groups , the fact that now this website is starting to have a group of regulars posting private trips has made certain people feel left out , unfortunately this always happens there is always going to be groups of people who band together because they are to scared they are going to be the ones left out , but anyway I guarantee its going to be a massive downfall for this website that in its original form was great . I hope people can understand what i mean .

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
31 Aug 2016

IMO there is nothing wrong if people want to stay in there own little group and run private trips, that is there choice and there are plenty of reasons for doing that, personally I think they are missing out on a lot of what this forum can offer but hey their choice.

There is only one way to get more trips posted, post them yourself which is what I will do from now on if I want to get out on the tracks, some will be public some will be private.

Some have made comment about how many private trips there are?? How do you know how many there are?? Either you are invited or not if you are all good go if you want, if not invited you never see them so nothing lost.

From what I know of life and human nature is that those who run only private trips are more often than not the ones I wouldn't really want to wheel with anyway...

()
31 Aug 2016

IMO there is nothing wrong if people want to stay in there own little group and run private trips, that is there choice and there are plenty of reasons for doing that, personally I think they are missing out on a lot of what this forum can offe......

Wow we agree again Matt surprise

I haven't run a public one for a while, but probably will again soon.

Just for the record Garry, you'll always get an invite on my (private) trips mate, and yeah there is nothing wrong with that as long as there is still enough public ones.

Sometimes I post private ones, so I can invite friends, with the intention to make it public when it doesn't fill, but they always fill, so they never appear on the public area.

The other option is to piss off your mates who want to go on your trips and post public ones.

But like I said earlier as long as you do a few public ones a year then if everyone did that there would be plenty of trips to go around.

With that being said there are a lot more members now and more trips running already, with the warm weather coming I'm predicting a record number of trips this summer.

Great site Kelvin!!!

BTW Matt since July there has only been three private trips posted, and one got postponed (which you know about).

So contrary to popular belief, there are very few private trips.

()
31 Aug 2016

Well I'll eat my hat, that few private trips , I didn't realise,thanks for finding that out Mark 

()
31 Aug 2016

Yeah Garry, it is surprising, one of the three was a 4wd shop which ran it for their customers... so fair enough.

One got arranged, but postponed, invitees were for a Hard trip where trip leader wanted to be confident of who was coming... fair enough.

The other one I'll admit was mine, where I invited mates, and you're on it, I didn't think that would fill but it did.

So not many at all private trips mate, it's just been quiet due to the weather.

()
01 Sep 2016

The private trips are great for a group of people that know each other and myself I don't care who does what trip all, I was trying to say is that I have seen it happen were as you end up with groups within groups and people feel left out , like for instance say for 5 or 6 trips in a row roughly the same dedicated group had been jumping on to a posted trip but then a couple of people out of that group start seeing all these cool videos on youtube of all these great trips with the group they have been going with that they did not even know existed and start feeling bad about themselves , but I may be wrong and probably are, we will just have to see what happens . cool

()
01 Sep 2016

WRONG

()
01 Sep 2016

() wrote:

WRONG

Jason, I really think you need to take it easy mate. Whenever I post a trip I'm totally ok with people giving input, in fact I ask for it, I also like people to have a go at taking the lead, it gives them confidence to run one themselves down the track.

If you are referring to someone on your trip wanting to camp on the Friday before your one starts and do a night drive, I personally wouldn't stress about it mate.

That won't affect your trip in any way. Your trip will start the next day and you can run it as you see fit.

I have seen some great trip leaders and some not so great, I think the good ones are the guys that are flexible and take on board ideas.

()
01 Sep 2016

() wrote:

Jason, I really think you need to take it easy mate. Whenever I post a trip I'm totally ok with people giving input, in fact I ask for it, I also like people to have a go at taking the lead, it gives them confidence to run one themselves do......

removed by Janusz

()
01 Sep 2016

Jason, I think sometimes people give suggestions to make the trip more fun, not just for themselves, but for the whole group. I know in the past things have been suggested to me and after thinking about it, the reaction is often, yeah that would be fun, sometimes you can't fit in all, or any of the suggestions, and sometimes it's only one or two people who want to do them, so that's where it's up to the trip leader to decide whether to include any or all of them.

Just keep in mind it's all about having fun.

()
01 Sep 2016

Jason, now what I have written doesn't make any sense as you have deleted all your comments, anyway never mind.

Just have fun out on the tracks.

Previous   1 2 3   Next