Time to drop the email system.

Forum > Open Discussion
1 2 3   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
05 Apr 2016

Ok, am going to ruffle a few feathers here, but think the email system isdetrimental to the site and totally unfair to the majority of members. Not sure about others, but everytime I go to my email account there are numerous emails from 4wdtrip.com.au that I just delete without opening. Sometime back, some members wanted to be removed from email notifications as everytime they went into their 'inbox' it was full of emails from 4wdtrip.com.au....crying.

As others have stated, they dont recieive a email of a upcoming trip for up to 24hrs after trip is posted meaning they often miss out so to make it fair for everyone, DROP EMAILS for upcoming trips to make it a level playing field so that members have to log into site. In my opinion, the only emails that should be sent are any updates/discussions that relate to a trip that someone has joined or expressed interest in.

Added bonus of this is that by people logging into site to check for upcoming trips, there might be a bit more activity on the forum.

'Flamesuit on'.....wink

Message deleted by the author.

I also delete a lot of e-mails. If I want to get the latest information for a trip I am involved with I log onto the site as I am doing now, and I get latest information.

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
06 Apr 2016

I agree Allan .

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
06 Apr 2016

Yep totally agree, the email system needs to be removed, in my opinion it sux the big one. If I want to see what is happening on a forum I get on and look.

If anyone thinks its a keeper please also post here so we can get a accurate picture of what members want.

There is no right or wrong just opinions

()
06 Apr 2016

I agree too,remove it.

Chris
Chris (rancidivy999)
10 Jul 2016

Sorry for the late reply. I normally don't get too deep into the forums. 

I must admit, I'm the opposite and love the email system.  I am always on the go and rarely get time to sit down and jump into a computer. So the email notifications are the only way I get to see upcoming trips as they occur. 

in today's age of smart phones - they all have email software pre loaded. 

perhaps we should create a page that teaches our users how to setup email on their mobile devices to have access on the go?

Cheers,

Chris

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
11 Jul 2016

Sorry for the late reply. I normally don't get too deep into the forums. 

I must admit, I'm the opposite and love the email system.  I am always on the go and rarely get time to sit down and jump into a computer. So......

All good Chris. Am sure there are many like you who rely on their smart phones for information rather than go to the site, (can be done on phone as well), but as I said earlier, many for whatever reason do not receive the email for some period of time until after a trip has been posted. I am not the only one who has this issue as it has been discussed on a few trips I have been on and many have similar issues.

Maybe Kelvin could arrange a poll and members have the final say as to whether it should stay or go, but judging from the lack of replies I guess it is not a huge issue...frown.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
12 Jul 2016

Get rid of it. As a few have previously said, check the forum if you want to know what's going on. Emails aren't required.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 Jul 2016

I love the email system! It keeps me up to date and excellent to receive notifications of new trips, I do agree though.. sometimes emails of new trips get delayed by a few hours.. which is a bit annoying, but none the less I love it.

Also if you don't like your inbox to be full, create rules and automatically move emails into a FOLDER so they don't flood your inbox. If you don't know how... here are some links to help you

HOTMAIL / OUTLOOK - http://logintips.com/hotmail-sign-in/create-filters-email-rules-in-hotmail-outlook-com.php

GMAIL - https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

It's easy. Emails should stay or an option on your profile should be added to opt in or out of emails

I have data turned off on my phone 99% of the time. It didn't come with my email client either. I get inundated with all mail every few minutes when I use it. Emails keep me notified of whats going on too, but for trips it doesn't work for me.

()
30 Jul 2016

What about opt in/out ?

So everyone can choose if they like to receive emails or not? Should be that hard many other forums have that feature and you might be able to just receive emails on topics you are interested in - like I don't normally need an email about a new trip in SA, but wouldn't mind an email about a trip in VIC.

Cheers

Andre

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
05 Aug 2016

I never used this.. but does everyone realise that there is a SETTINGS page http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/account/profile/setting.aspx where you can uncheck 

Receive New Trip Notification email
Receive news, updates and announcements from 4WDTRIP

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
19 Aug 2016

The problem is without the email system I doubt the site would survive.

Forums and what not are Dinosaurs things of the past.I could guarentee that 90% of members only ever think about the site when they get the email.

Social Media .... Facebook is the now and growing. The amount of groups forming and people running trips is astounding.

Trav (dungarover)
21 Aug 2016

Message deleted by the author.

1 2 3   Next