Air Filter cover catch broken Pajero

Forum > Tech talk, questions

Hi I managed to snap of the black plastic clip on my airfilter base. (2006 NP Pajero)  I am wondering if I screw and silicone  a clip to the top and bottom  will that work?. I dont want to have to replace the base. Thanks Tarnia

()
01 Apr 2016

Hi Tarnia, considering your vehicle has a snorkle, I assume you do, or are planning to do deepish creek crossings.

You'll need to make sure that filter box is bloody well and truly water tight if you want to do any handyperson repairs to it.

Perhaps post some pics of the problem, and maybe someone that lives close by could help, or have a look and offer advice?? Sorry I live miles away.

()
02 Apr 2016

I just googled your problem, it seems like a common one. One fellow used the same clamps I have on my trailer.

Here is a better look at the clamps I got from carac trailer parts, you can adjust the hoop length (screws in/out) for the pressure you want.

Make sure you get sensor safe sealant, don't just use any old crap from bunnings.

Go to repco/autobarn etc and ask for sensor safe.

Let it cure really well before driving it. 

You could use really big rivets, but they may not hold too well on the plastic box, so you could put a small aluminium plate inside, so they get a good grip.

Possibly bolts with lock nuts and washers may be easier.

() wrote:

Hi Tarnia, considering your vehicle has a snorkle, I assume you do, or are planning to do deepish creek crossings.

You'll need to make sure that filter box is bloody well and truly water tight if you want to do any handyperson re......

Am sending pm.

() wrote:

I just googled your problem, it seems like a common one. One fellow used the same clamps I have on my trailer.

Thanks so much Mark. Will have a go tomorrow 👍👍

()
24 May 2016

That does look like a good method to ensure the filter box stays sealed and waterproof