Which radio

Forum > Tech talk, questions

()
16 Mar 2016

Hey guys, just looking at getting a new radio.

Narrowed it down to 2 the dearer one has a scanner and a few extra features like replay the last recieved transmission.

Just wondering if the extra features would be handy or not. $259 vs $359

http://www.gadgetcity.com.au/uniden-uh5060-uhf-radio+-axis-ch5t-5db--antenna-pack-black-whip-p-2021.html?cPath=92_36_113

http://www.gadgetcity.com.au/uniden-uh8080s-80-channel-uhf+scanner+ch5t-black-5db-antenna-pk-p-3126.html?cPath=92_36_113

Martin
Martin (BT50driver)
19 Mar 2016

It would be good to spend the extra $100 and get the police, fire and ambulance scanner so you can scan them when you are driving  in an area where there could be wild weather etc and know straight away if it is coming your way.

The minister of finances should not be told of this laugh

()
19 Mar 2016

Too late, I already got the other one. I didn't think the scanner was worth spending the extra $100.

Plus it's analogue scanner, I think a lot of emergency services already are or in the process of changing to encripted signals which that would not pick up anyway. 

Anyway looks like a nice unit.

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
19 Mar 2016

It would be good to spend the extra $100 and get the police, fire and ambulance scanner so you can scan them when you are driving  in an area where there could be wild weather etc and know straight away if it is coming your way.

The CFA Fire ready app will let you know about bushfires in your area, you can set a distance from your current location (say 20km) and it will notify you of any fires in that area.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
19 Mar 2016

I find a scanner priceless because not everyone uses the same channel and when doing the harder tracks knowing where other groups are is very handy information and can save a very difficult and dangerous situation

()
19 Mar 2016

I find a scanner priceless because not everyone uses the same channel and when doing the harder tracks knowing where other groups are is very handy information and can save a very difficult and dangerous situation

We're not talking about channel scan, but a scanner that picks up emergency services, two very different things.

I think every UHF has channel scan.

()
19 Mar 2016

BTW if you want to pick up drivers close by, use your handheld on scan mode (if you have a shitty one that has a short range) as that will only pick up signals close to you that are relevant, no need picking up dickheads 10km away.