Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
13 Mar 2016

Earlier in the week the weather forecast was looking bleak and I nearly postponed the trip but Paul was very keen to get out there.  It ended up being just Paul, Jo and myself and the weather turned out perfect...No Dust!!!  

Our first track was O'Keefe Trak off Walhalla Road and 3 kms in we crossed the Aberfeldy River which was quuite shallow and an easy crossing.  Another 5kms along and we headed on to McGuire Trak, an easy drive with a few little climbs, descents and switchbacks. However I did manage to pick up a stick that lodged between my fuel tank and tail shaft and stuck out behind my left front wheel.  We travelled to Mt Useful Sput Trak where the mist was quite eerie as it covered the road.  When we got to the top, we decided to take Green Hills Link track to St Kilda Junction.  That plan was short lived though as we got less than 10 kms along before coming across a large tree blocking the track.  It was big and I wasn't too keen but Paul was determined and said it would be fun to get the chainsaws out and have a go at clearing.  We managed to chop it up and winch it to the side.  100 metres or so further along we had to clear another branch and then we were on our way again but not for long as we came a cross a huge tree just around the corner.  I think it was the biggest tree I have ever seen!!  The 'F' word was used a few times and we decided to turn around and head back to Mt Useful Spur Track (Springs Road).

We were headed towards Donnelly Trak but we came to Morning Star Trak.  I asked Paul if he wanted to give it a go and got no argument there!  I have heard this is a hard track but it wasn't too bad but I could see that it would be difficult if it was wet.  It was dry and rocky with some good climbs, steep descents and washouts and was a lot of fun.  At the end of the track we stopped and had lunch then did a quick drive by of Lloyds Hut and Store Point Hut which was jam packed with campers settled in for the weekend.  We came across Middle Star Trak and followed that to White Star Trak.  This was another ripper with some great steep descents.  Along the way we spotted some good firewood so we filled up the back of the Navara.  

We got back on to Donnelly Creek Road and checked out a few campsites that were pretty full by now but we checked into a great spot at Little O'Tooles camping area.  it took a while but we soon got the fire roaring and I started a lamb roast in the camp oven.  Paul was taking the piss and said it wouldn't be ready until breakfast but didn't knock back a sample and praised my efforts!  Sunday morning Paul was keen to do another track or two so I decided to give Sullivans Trak a go as we didn't manage to complete it on a past trip.  I missed a turn and ended up taking Donnelly Creek Road all the way back to Walhalla Road so we still went on Sullivans Trak, just down instead of up.  It had been graded recently but was still steep and challenging.  We then called it a weekend and headed home.  

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
13 Mar 2016

Great report Andrew , it's a top area and reasonably close to Melbourne.

()
13 Mar 2016

Great trip report Andrew,sounds like another fun trip. Not a bad camp spot is little o tooles. Was it at junction hut where you took the wrong turn? Every time I go through there I take the wrong turn, Mind you it doesn't take much for me to get confused.lol thanks for the report Garry

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
14 Mar 2016

() wrote:

Great trip report Andrew,sounds like another fun trip. Not a bad camp spot is little o tooles. Was it at junction hut where you took the wrong turn? Every time I go through there I take the wrong turn, Mind you it doesn't take much for me t......

Yep think it was Garry, I was using the rooftop map sometimes it  can be a bit confusing my GPS is good and shows most track names but can't put in a route or if you can I wouldn't know how but yeah it was a fun trip will be trying to get back to the area soon and check out  some other tracks,we love it up there 

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
14 Mar 2016

Great report Andrew , it's a top area and reasonably close to Melbourne.

yes it is reasonably close, takes me about 2hrs(from Mornington) to get to Erica/Walhalla good place to start a trip 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
14 Mar 2016

Thanks for sharing, great report. Walhalla would have to be one of the best 4wding spots in vic, one of my favorite areas and the hot rocks steak at Erica pub is just what you need after a day out wheeling

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
14 Mar 2016

Thanks for sharing, great report. Walhalla would have to be one of the best 4wding spots in vic, one of my favorite areas and the hot rocks steak at Erica pub is just what you need after a day out wheeling

No worries Mathew, I enjoy reading other peoples trip reports & photos so I make a effort to do my own I write a rough copy and my better half edits it , can't work out how to get photo on this part of the forum but put a few on the actual trip page and yeah the hot rock steak is awesome Allan recommended it to me after a trip last year...Mouthwatering

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
14 Mar 2016

Excellent report again Andrew....smiley. Seemed as though you covered a bit of ground and drove some nice tracks. Again, well done on leading your 2nd trip and posting your report in this section. Maybe have a go at posting a few pics here; bit time consuming initially, but once you get the hang of it, it is not too bad.

Cheers

Allan

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
17 Mar 2016
Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
17 Mar 2016

Excellent report again Andrew....smiley. Seemed as though you covered a bit of ground and drove some nice track......

yay I finally work it out!

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
17 Mar 2016

Jeez the Aberfeldie is very low at O'Keefes , it was probably double that last time I crossed it.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
17 Mar 2016

Jeez the Aberfeldie is very low at O'Keefes , it was probably double that last time I crossed it.

sure is

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
17 Mar 2016

https://youtu.be/w8-01UhrxaU clearing the trees