Weekend getaway to the Snowy River Nat park -15/16

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Dave
Dave (disco)
19 Aug 2014

I see many of you like the idea of the Briagolong/Dargo trip so I thought of this idea for a trip and want to see how many are interested.
The trip will take off from my place (Swan Reach near Lakes Entrance) and head through Buchan and on to Mckillops bridge.
From there we head up the Dedick Trail which goes through the entire snowy river national park (50Km) and is one of the best and steepest in the high country with the famous Joan staircase, then back through Jacksons Crossing (crosses the snowy) to camp. Depending on track conditions and time we either camp at Jacksons crossing or get back to my place. There is many other tracks running off the Dedick so depends on time etc how far we go.

Most of the tracks are not difficult some sections of the Dedick can be steep and large rocks. It depends on how often they grade it.
I would suggest at least winch and recovery gear with good clearance.

I have 10 acres of land on the Tambo River and you are welcome to camp on the property, we have nice flat area with camp fire and power if required.
It would be best if you can get here on Friday arvo/night so we can head off early Sat morning.

The dedick trail is quite long trip with no fuel at all from Buchan till we get back.
My place to Buchan is 55Km, Buchan to Dedick Trail is 80Km Dedick trail is 50Km then enf of Dedick to Jacksons is about 40Km then Jacksons to Buchan is 25Km, so you will need to do 200Km odd with maybe 40% in low.

This trip is not a serious 4x4 trip by any means, there is approx 40% black stuff and the rest dirt. An amazing area though if you love the bush.

Steve
Steve (tasl)
29 Aug 2014

Freinds of mine are looking at camping in the area during the cup weekend long weekened. 1-4/11.   It seems yu have local knowledge on the area, Our experiance are only f camping at buchan, 

WHat is access like to Mckillps bridge, Theere is at least 2 jayco campers which we plan to base camp.  Some of the peple will be driving u in non 4wd to where we hope to set up ur base camp.  other than 4wding, we have sme kayaks, which would be the other activityies    for those that dont want t 4wd.

Dave
Dave (disco)
03 Sep 2014

Freinds of mine are looking at camping in the area during the cup weekend long weekened. 1-4/11.   It seems yu have local knowledge on the area, Our experiance are only f camping at buchan, 

WHat is access......

Hi Steve

2 WD is fine to Mckillips bridge coming from the Buchan side. Note the road is single lane in many places and other vehicles coming the other way will make it difficult. The road is usually graded and in good condition. However it has many very steep drop offs and can get slippery in the wet. After Mckillops bridge there is many beutiful spots next to the dedick river along the main road.  I think it is rated as camper trailer only not suitable for caravans. You should check with local parks and forests before heading off ..Have fun

Peter Morris (peter1)
08 Sep 2014

Hi Dave

Keen on this trip - looks good, got my name down. Do you have a feel for the date yet - 15th or 21st or is it a bit early yet decide?

Regards

Peter

Dave
Dave (disco)
08 Sep 2014

Hi 

It is set for the 15th / 16th NOV now as per the trip page. It would be best if you can get to my place on the Friday arvo or night.

Dave

Peter Morris (peter1)
08 Sep 2014

Thanks Dave - that's great -  planning to reach your place on the Friday arvo.

Regards.

Peter