iconic tracks blue rag and billy goats

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

well we finally got this trip up and running after lots of changes

beginning with roberts trip starting at lake cobbler in the north , then loosing rob as leader , trip changing to starting in gippsland and david as leader , then loosing him as well.

i was looking forward to going so said i would lead to keep i going, and it turned out we had a great trip

steve and i and my son in law trav got to blue pool in briagalong early friday with the rest of the crew arriving in the late arvo and steve(harro) arriving about 9.30. he was known as kevin from then on (you had to be there) great night round the camp but the snoring was unbelievable.

saturday started early with a long drive to blue rag, with a stop at the dargo pub for the traditional pics.

blue rag was very busy with of cars on the track but we had the trig point to ourselves and the spectacular views were well worth it . back down basalt knob tk , lunch at an old railway carrage along the track then down into talbotville . nice track with a very steep drop into talbotville ,the bottom part had been graded but was loose and powdery. would of been a fun climb back up.

good night in talbotville where we met dave, one of 4wd trip founders and a big night was had by some. waking up in talbotville to the sounds of the bush. ah the sereninty steve and kevin having a snoring competition and zacs baby crying. the baby wasnt as bad as the snorers

nice drive out along crooked river with john and kevin seeing who could make the biggest splash. then on to billy goat bluff track. always a special track with a few challenging bits for my little car but generally in pretty good condition . we stopped up near the top for steve to run into the bushes with his toilet paper, maybe he thought it was so frightening he needed a crap.

then the stories started , i didnt put my lockers on ,or i didnt need to lock in my hubs or i was still in high range. all i know is my chinese car led them all up :)

we had a stop at the pinnicle then onto valencia creek tk, some where were most of us hadnt been. its a great drive with a long steep drop down to the bottom of the valley with 8 or so rugged rocky creek crossings

as it was starting to get late steve and i decided to finsh half way along, said our goodbys and the rest of the crew continued on for an hour or so and really enjoyed the track and said they would love to do it again

lots of pics to come

i had a great time , met a lot of new mates that i look forward to meeting up with again

now out almost to the hway the fun really started . i changed from petrol to lpg , the lights went out on the switch and the car rolled to a holt

we could find the problem and ended up calling the racv. after making sure racv would help steve had to leave. waited an hour and then racv and the rest of the crew arrived and johnny loved it that it wasnt a jeep broken down. after all the jokes about great walls breaking down the racv guy says his next job is a land cruiser out on the hway. gave us all a laugh then we found out it was steve who had left me an hour earlier

big thank you to john who drove me and trav home to hoppers crossing. only problem was listening for 3 hours how good jeeps are , what parts you can buy and how he loves his car more than his wife.

all good in the end. car will be delivered to my mechanic today and steve organized  a tow home as well

thanks again to john and everyone one else that made this a great trip

pics to come

()
29 Feb 2016

Thanks for the trip report and humour.sounds like another great trip.shame about the  2 vehicles at the end. Cheers

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Feb 2016

Thanx for shareing and a great write up, can't wait to see some pics. Just goes to show any car can have issues and at some stage all cars will, we just all hope its not in the middle of no where

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
29 Feb 2016

Great report Dennis, looking forward to the pics hope you get the car back soon and not too much $ to fix 

Chris (cap8959)
29 Feb 2016

Blue Rag on saturday was the pick, nice and clear. Sunday was cloud and no view. One day I will get to join one of these trips before they fill up.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

Bit of a test, will try to make it bigger

Saturday morning at dargo 

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

airing down on high plains road

nearly got the size right

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

Can't seem to find pics along blue rag but this is the trig point

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

Looking down basalt knob

Saturday night in Talbotville

A

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

Sunday morning on crooked river

we wernt sure if it was steam or smoke , so there's no taking a chance with a jeep

Then onto Billy goats

At the helipad

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

More hilly goats, almost the top

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Feb 2016

Just a great view isn't it

A

i have a bit of video of Billy goats bluff track . When I work out what to do I will post that up

dennis

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Mar 2016

Great report and pics Dennis. Good to see a few starting to use this section to post their trip reports, and once you get the hang of posting pics, it is not all that difficult. Gagain, excellent report.yes

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
01 Mar 2016

Great report and pics Dennis. Good to see a few starting to use this section to post their trip reports, and once you get the hang of posting pics, it is not all that difficult. Gagain, excellent report.yes

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
01 Mar 2016

Well my car was delivered  by truck to my mechanic today ( all covered by racv ). I arrived after he had had it for a few hours. Started to tell him all the symptoms when he said it's fine and working ! 

Now I checked most of the fuses ,so did the rest of the crew and the racv guy did all his checks. It turns out it was some engine management fuse! Bugger me ! 

Well that's some good news , not sure how Stevens getting on , he has a seized front hub and blown seal

1 2   Next