The Limestone Coast.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Feb 2016

Have recently returned from 2 weeks in SA spending 10 days at Southend, (Beachport/Robe area) and 3 days at Port Elliott, on the outskirts of Victor Habor. Just thought I would put up a trip report that might interest some members including those going on Kelvin's trip over Easter.

Cheryl and I headed off early Saturday morning in her NP Pajero with our Jayco camper faithfully following. We went via Ballarat and Hamilton and stopped at Mt Gambier to pick up fresh fruit/vegies etc. Whilst they do not have a Quarantine Station on the border of SA/Vic, they often have spot checks especially in school hollies and long weekends, so best not to take these items unless you are prepared to have them taken off you. In other words, stop at either Woolies or Coles in Mt Gambier for these food items, just to be on the safe side.

We arrived at Southend and proceeded to our bush camp run by the Southend Caravan Park. Flushing toilets and just behind the dunes, (50 metre walk to beach), giving some protection from the wind. $20 per night but all campsites in the Beachport/Robe area do cost and some we checked out on our travels were pretty average to say the least and not close to the beach.

Our campsite.

The beach.

A few days later Discomatt and his wife Liza arrived and next night we had a campfire on the beach as no fires allowed in caravan parks/national parks/campgrounds during the fire season....sad

Over the next few days we visited Beachport, (quaint little town) via the beach from Southend. Very easy drive as sand is quite hard meaning you could run 'road pressures' if need be. We went back to Mt Gambier to visit the sink hole and the Blue Lake.

After leaving Mt Gambier, we made our way to Carpenter Rocks for what was hopefully going to be a pleasant drive back to Southend via the beach and the inland tracks.

More to come.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Feb 2016

Wow, love the pic and your report already. The sink hole and blue lake is pretty cool, isn't it? 

Keep it coming :)

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Feb 2016

Wow, love the pic and your report already. The sink hole and blue lake is pretty cool, isn't it? 

Keep it coming :)

Yes Kelvin, both amazing.  The lake changes colour depending on cloud cover etc and luckily I got a shot when the sun was shining.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Feb 2016

After arriving at Carpenter Rocks, we hit the beach and had some 'interesting' moments..blush from time to time. As mentioned elsewhere, we thought we lost Discomatt at one point, (different spot to Pete's video), but luckily the power of his big V8 with foot flat to the floor got him through. It was then a mixture of beach and inland driving and with the numerous stops to take in the scenery, not to mention my partner Cheryl wanting to collect shells etc....frown, we branched off and made our way back to Southend via Millicent; it had been a big day.  Next day, or the day after, (cant remember), we went into Robe to have a look around then did the drive back to Beachport via the beach and Little Dip National Park. Pics below, but cant remember exactly where they were taken....laugh.

The 'mighty Paj'

Cape Banks Lighthouse.

Shipwreck.

A seal deciding we were to close for comfort.

Some more pics from where we travelled to follow.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
22 Feb 2016

Wow, where did you find the ship wreck? Do you have the coordinate? ....It's pretty cool that you found a seal. By the way, is that your new Pajero? 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Feb 2016

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Feb 2016

Unfortunately, we saw a couple a sad things along our beach drives; a dead dolphin with dorsal fin removed and the odd stingray and shark that had been butchered...angry.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
23 Feb 2016

If you ever get the opportunity to head to the Beachport/Robe area; DO IT. As well as fantastic 4wding, there are many other things to do and see. The scenery alone is well worth the long drive and they say there is great fishing; well Cheryl and Matt caught nothing other than a cold. Matt and Liza visited Naracoorte Caves along with some wineries which they both said was worth the hour or so drive from Southend.  If you want to go there, try to avoid school hollies and long weekends etc; the area is 'chockers' and generally booked out well in advance. The guy who operates the caravan park and the bush camping area showed us his bookings for Easter and Christmas; totally booked out already...surprise. I guess the only downside was seeing some of the barriers on the designated tracks getting broken by 4wders who wanted to go 'play' on dunes that were off limits. According to a guy I was speaking to at the info centre in Beachport, the Wattle Ranges Council are almost over the damage caused by those who do not stay on the designated marked tracks and according to him, majority are the interstaters, not the locals. Anyway, that is another issue.

After leaving Southend, we made our way to Victor Habor, but that is another story. Just a few more random pics of our time on the Limestone Coast.

Those of you going on Kelvin's trip will have a ball. You will want to go back and spend at least a week or so there; so much to see and do.

Cheers

Allan

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
23 Feb 2016

Excellent report pic and info! Thanks heaps mate. I am sure we will have a ball.... let the count down begin.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
23 Feb 2016

Wow, where did you find the ship wreck? Do you have the coordinate? ....It's pretty cool that you found a seal. By the way, is that your new Pajero? 

Cant remember exactly Kelvin; somewhere between Southend and Carpenter Rocks....indecision. Still have my old Paj, we take Cheryl's for our touring type holidays.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
23 Feb 2016

Fantastic report  and phots Allan 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
28 Feb 2016

Great write up and photos  as always Allan !!

Was another great holidat with Cheryl and you, we had a great time at Toc afterwards, the river is in great condition and the cleanest I have ever seen it and at a good level, says a lot about todays water managment. Shame about some of the dicks that camp up there and treat the place like a tip, stubbies and cans everywhere including busted ones in camp fires just waiting to slice someone openangry

It astounds me that people think its ok, must be a lower gene pool...