Tyabb air show

Forum > Open Discussion
1 2   Next

()
16 Feb 2016

Hi, just a heads up that the bi annual Tyabb air show is on this year 13th March

This year has an emphasis on warbirds.

http://www.tyabbairshow.com/

()
17 Feb 2016

Went to that show many years ago,it was a great day out.

()
17 Feb 2016

If anyone goes, take a lightweight fold up chair as there is almost no seating there, also sunscreen and a wide brim hat. The aircraft normally hit the sky around noon, but there is plenty of static displays to look at if you get there earlier.

Parking is at designated areas around the field, and free shuttle busses will ferry you to the field and back to the car park, (just remember which one you parked at) There are signs all over the place as you enter the town where to park.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
22 Feb 2016

Think I'm washing my hair that day

()
22 Feb 2016

Think I'm washing my hair that day

Yeah, not everyones idea of fun, I LOVE aircraft and especially warbirds from WW2.

Most of those babies are 5 mill plus, so way out of my price range.

()
22 Feb 2016

() wrote:

Yeah, not everyones idea of fun, I LOVE aircraft and especially warbirds from WW2.

Most of those babies are 5 mill plus, so way out of my price range.

Saw a Lancaster bomber fly back in the 70s,at a air show in England,I think it was 1 off 2 still flying at the time,if I recall the other one few into a mountain some years later,big shame.

()
22 Feb 2016

() wrote:

Saw a Lancaster bomber fly back in the 70s,at a air show in England,I think it was 1 off 2 still flying at the time,if I recall the other one few into a mountain some years later,big shame.

I friggin bet it was a bigger shame for the pilot.

()
22 Feb 2016

() wrote:

If you go to Perth, the museum there has one, not in flying condition, but you can still see one that saw Australian air force service during WW2

()
23 Feb 2016

()
24 Feb 2016

() wrote:

Work of art ,do they have plans to fully restore it? Guess it would be big $$$$$$$$. thanks for the photo mark cheers garry

()
25 Feb 2016

Hi Garry, the fella at the air museum said they looked into it, but it was some ridiculous amount . I recall 60Mill, to get it airworthy again it would have to be stripped ALL the way down and re- assembled/inspected, engines torn down, all hydraulics redone, wiring replaced, etc.

Anyway at least it's preserved.

()
25 Feb 2016

Yeah a lot involved to restore to air worthy. I read somewhere about the spitfires,at the end of ww2,Uk sold them off too other countrys,but to the public too if you had £5000,a lot of money back then.Be like today, been able to buy  your own f18 or harrier,.

Nothing better than to be in the Cockpit of my PK Ranger reaching for the skys on billy goats.....rata tat tat....Woohoo another Patrol wasted........

aw aw a Squadron of VW Amaroks heading up Blue Rag to advance on the US Jeeps.......KELVIN this is PK RANGER OVER permission to attack

KELVIN TO PK RANGER Attack the Jeeps I say again Attack the Jeeps.......lol

LEST WE FORGET:

General Facts About The Air Crews Each crew member volunteered for aircrew duties. None were conscripted into their jobs A crew was formed by the pilot picking out each crew member from those available and the Operational Training Unit (OTU) they were posted too. OTU;s were one of the final steps in an aircrews' training period before they reached an operational squadron. An Operational tour for a bomber crew consisted of thirty (30), non-aborted, operational sorties. Upon completion of their tour, the crew would normally be broken up and rested by being assigned to various Conversion or other non-operational units as instructors. It was not uncommon for a rested crew member to volunteer for a second bomber tour. The exception to the thirty (30) operations tour applied to the crews of Pathfinder Force (No. 8 Group) Squadron's. These crew were required to complete forty-five (45) operations before being rested. The additional fifteen (15) operations being required due to the high rate of training and practise that was required in order to become proficient in target marking. More than not Pathfinder crews continued on; in the hopes of reaching the magic sixty (60) operations, or the equivalent of two full bomber tours. Generally speaking the standard Lancaster crew was seven (7) however, some crews were increased to eight (8) members. Although this was generally due to one of the following reasons: a) The crew was attached to the Pathfinder's. These crews often had an extra Navigator/Radar Operator on board, who operated the H2S blind bombing radar. b) The crew was attached to a Radio Counter Measure (No. 100 Group) Squadron and/or was operating an aircraft equipped with Airborne Cigar (ABC). In either case a German speaking radio operator was added, whose job it was to scan for German night-fighter radio frequencies. Once he located one, he would tune one of serval jamming transmitters on board the aircraft to the frequency and there by present further information being transmitted by German ground controllers to the night-fighter pilots. c) All new pilots were required to fly one of two familiarisation or "second dickey" trips with a veteran crew in order to expose them to operational hazards and the German defences. Although, the new pilots did not take did not take his crew with him on these trips, these trips usually counted towards the pilot's tour of operations. Most pilot's however, continued to fly with their crews until all members of the crew had completed the required thirty (3) trips.

1 2   Next